1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

‘Hawk for a Friend

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by church&son, Sep 17, 2011.

1. church&son

church&son

Jan 1, 2009
    I think this is the first ‘hawk I’ve done with an individual in mind.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The maple haft is 19″ from a shipping pallet. Split, drawfiled, wrasped, oiled, torched and scrapped. No dye, just shellac.
    Head is 7″ x 3″ from a 100 yr. old plow. Hot cut, hacksawed, forged and hot filed. Pine pitched and wrapped with rawhide thongs.

[​IMG]

Handle wrap and drop is garment leather from a bag with some of my deer rawhide and a few antique seed beads.

[​IMG][​IMG]

Finish on leather is dirt, grease, home brew dye and shellac.
    Loosely based on a Walter Shirlaw sketch from 1890…

I hope he likes it 'cause I really hated to put this one in the mail.....…Randy

2. pullrich

pullrich

May 4, 2010
    Dang he better start running the other way.

Really like the use of pallet wood for a handle!

3. Loosearrow

Loosearrow

Apr 14, 2008
    Just amazing. I sure like everything that you do. You are quite talented and have a great eye. Brings to mind the work of Wild Rose and Cohea. Since I did the mountain man thing for 25 years your work brings back many memories. Regards. Keep up the good work.

4. theevilmike

theevilmike

Sep 16, 2010
    Looks great Randy
    you have a talent for making things look ancient

cheers
    mike

5. church&son

church&son

Jan 1, 2009
    cause I was there, Thanks Mike

Thanks PullRich and Loosearrow

6. HandAxeProMan

HandAxeProMan

Apr 9, 2011
    Come on Randy. I know you are not as old as I am. I'm ancient so you must on be almost ancient. You know I love your work and have to have one sometime. I see one and think you can't possibly top it. But, brother you keep coming up with something like this. Absolutely gorgeous. I concur with the ancient look which raises the bar for everyone else. Wow!

7. Dusty One

Dusty One Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Lucky friend....Very nice job and really like the beaded leather work !

8. church&son

church&son

Jan 1, 2009
    Thanks Howard and I'm 52, have two boys in collage, married to lovely bride for 21 yrs, work 80-100 hrs. a week during show season and hopefully will be able to do stuff like this full time someday. It ain't the years that ages you, it's the miles.....

Thanks Dusty, I like doing the bead work but I'm slow at it....Randy

9. Chris John

Chris John

Aug 12, 2010
    Unbelievable Randy ,
    Magic everything about it and the beaded drop is
    truely buitiful ,one very lucky friend .
    Thanks for sharing Randy .
    Chris

10. HandAxeProMan

HandAxeProMan

Apr 9, 2011
    Randy, I'm 66, been married to the same great gal for 45 years, have four grandchildren (one of which is a sophomore in college). I was supposed to have died the first time on February 15, 1972, the day my daughter was born. Several times since then. I am an old model that is high mileage as well. I am truly a blessed man even if I don't have your talent.

Howard

11. church&son

church&son

Jan 1, 2009
    Howard, we are blessed men.. and I think talent is learned Brother

Thanks Chris, means a lot from you Mate........Randy

12. Pipeman

Pipeman

Dec 2, 2004
    Another beauty Randy, I LOVE your dirt finish, it really does it. Yur gettin pretty fancy with that camera, nice shot.

All the best Brother

R

13. church&son

church&son

Jan 1, 2009
    Thanks Brother. The less I use "store bought" products and use more homebrew finishes, the more I like the outcome. VooDoo calls my shellac flakes "bug crap finish"
    Thanks, knowitall started listening to lovely bride........Randy

14. omniviking

omniviking

Feb 9, 2008
    Gee Randy their are probably a lot of folks around here who would like you to be thinking about when you mail off things like this beauty. Fearsome looking. Can't beat the finish from the brow of a hardy working man...... Oh and if you would like my address the next time you are thinking.....

So glad you share your time and work for us to looks at.

Pat

15. omniviking

omniviking

Feb 9, 2008
    Gee Randy their are probably a lot of folks around here who would like you to be thinking about when you mail off things like this beauty. Fearsome looking. Can't beat the finish from the brow of a hardy working man...... Oh and if you would like my address the next time you are thinking.....

So glad you share your time and work for us to looks at.

Pat

16. church&son

church&son

Jan 1, 2009
    Thanks Pat. Working on some more today. I'll keep that offer in mind Brother.......Randy