1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

Из России с любовью - From Russia with love

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by Square_peg, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Square_peg

Square_peg Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 1, 2012
    Today I received this excellent new old stock Russian Topor axe from Agent H and ultimately from new forum member Tras Krom. It's covered in dried grease/cosmoline. The handle is rough but well fitting. It will need some thinning and a bunch of BLO but should be a fine handle when I'm through with it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the 2nd photo with the axe is an SKS and Makarov. Both have shown themselves to be well made instruments.

2. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    I pulled out the wedge and removed the handle. The head weighs 3-1/4 pounds.

3. David Martin

David Martin Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    That's a lot for a hatchet. DM

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  4. Steve Tall

Steve Tall

Aug 28, 2010
    Nice curves in this one:

[​IMG]

Miller '72 and Agent_H like this.
  5. Agent_H

Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    I look forward to the Tonop clean up Square_peg! The Makarov and especially the SKS are nice. Sometime during the mid 80's my father and a couple of his friends purchased a box of SKS' - I believe they were mixed surplus of Norinco and another maker. It was to beat some impending restrictions on surplus weapons. 7.62x39 was like 2 cents a round. They were passed on to several family members. The last one I had around got thousands of rounds put through it until one day while target shooting my brother set it down butt first against the truck and it discharged (into the air). The bold catch had worn until it would fire if it was bumped (not bump-fired). It was a great rifle but it got traded off at some point for a demilled Bulgarian SAR-1 AK. I miss it lol. Still have a box of stripper clips around here somewhere.

Makarovs are great pistols as well. My experience is with the Bulgarian and Russian (single stack, not the commercial double stacks) are great pistols.

Anyway, do you mind if I post up some pictures of the axes and their travels in your thread? @Tras Krom deserves a shout out as well for making it happen for us :thumbsup:

Square_peg, Tras Krom and Miller '72 like this.
  6. Agent_H

Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    [​IMG]
    топорism
    by Agent Hierarchy, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    топорism

[​IMG]
    топорism

[​IMG]
    топорism

[​IMG]
    топорism

[​IMG]
    топорism

[​IMG]
    топорism

[​IMG]
    топорism

Tras Krom is a stand-up guy. I’m not sure what to say - he simply offered to make the axes happen.

He offered to live video while picking them out but my work schedule didn’t allow it.

All three have different marks to the heel of the center one.

7. Tras Krom

Tras Krom

Jan 10, 2018
    It was my pleasure to help you. Enjoy! Hope you will like them.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
  8. rjdankert

rjdankert

Mar 10, 2011
    Many thanks guys.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Bob

9. Kevin Houtzager

Kevin Houtzager

Jun 25, 2017
    X

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  10. Lieblad

Lieblad

Jul 24, 2015
    Kevin Houtzager and Agent_H like this.
  11. Agent_H

Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    I don’t know but that is a good question – my guess is that they reach at least 5+lbs?

Finnish but Billnäs made the 40/3 in 1.8kg or 3.96lbs.

[​IMG]

And the 58/2 at 1.9kg or about 4.2lbs.

[​IMG]

This one looks bigger than the Ziks and as big as the 25.x piilu behind it:

[​IMG]

I have a bunch of pictures I have collected from around the web, many from rusknife where users have scanned catalogs - wish I could remember where these photos came from but here are two different sizes together.

[​IMG]
    Axe.Topor

[​IMG]
    Axe.Topor2

Nice.

12. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Please do! And thank you!

13. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Cleanup pictures. I believe the coating is some sort of dried grease or cosmoline. It dissolved in paint thinner much more readily than dried paint would have.

[​IMG]

The poll appears to be made of a welded insert. I'll file test this later.

[​IMG]

The interior eye 'topography' (as Jake so eloquently put it) looks pretty damn good. It would make Secretary Khrushchev proud. [​IMG] It's smooth and wider at the top in both dimensions.

[​IMG]

The spur is rather crudely ground. I might clean that up a bit, heat it and bend it forward to make solid contact with the haft.

[​IMG]

The bit is quite thin and relatively sharp. Some of the burr from the original grind remains. It's obviously never been used.

[​IMG]

A view of the underside.

[​IMG]

The stamp is clear. 1955.

[​IMG]

14. Lieblad

Lieblad

Jul 24, 2015
    Its poll is not welded. Those lines are simply remains when its eye is drifted open. That forces the corner edges up. While its still on the drift, those raised edges are flattened leaving those lines.

15. Square_peg

Feb 1, 2012
    Thanks, Lieblad.

16. Kevin Houtzager

Kevin Houtzager

Jun 25, 2017
    X

Last edited: May 13, 2019
  17. Ernest DuBois

Ernest DuBois

Mar 2, 2013
    Once again the limitations and deceptions of profile shots leads to false equivalency when bringing up the Billnäs for comparison since the construction of the two axes diverge radically seen from another perspective, the cheeks of the Billnäs not having the dramatic reduction in thickness of the Russian made and at the same time lacking the bulging Marty Feldman eye.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  18. Tras Krom

Tras Krom

Jan 10, 2018
    Somewhere on the blade should be brinell test mark. Metall ball pushed in to the axe to measure the hardness.
    Mark on the edge is result of choping some metal corner in the factory. Common factory test in those days.

[​IMG]Untitled by Tras Krom, on Flickr

Last edited: Feb 12, 2018
  19. Agent_H

Agent_H

Aug 21, 2013
    Maybe no Billnäs piilu for comparison - that picture just came to mind after looking at the weights that the Suomis listed as their Russian models in the scanned catalogs. Russian axes could have been found a bit larger than the ones we are citing from the commonly known plants? Whether that change in weight also resulted in an overall different pattern I don't know.

20. jake pogg

jake pogg

Dec 20, 2015
    Ernest is right of course.It can be deceptive to look to Finnish(or other N.European) manufacturers,as the production of this type of tool mutated with geography.The further East the skimpier the thickness of the blade and the bigger the eye-bulge.

But it also differed between the time periods and individual manufacturers.Some simply welded(or even riveted) a sheet-steel blade inside the likewise flat-stock poll bent about in that eye-shape.

Since this type was never really meant for Felling,the thickness of the blade could,and did,fall below that minimum necessary to act as a chip-breaker,and from there it's thickness equalled "whatevah",as the kids like to say nowadays.

Square_peg and Agent_H like this.