1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

1-2-3 block to height gauge "Transformer"

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Heli00, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Heli00

Heli00

Oct 19, 2017
    Hi,

I'm too new to really be of any help to the community, but I came up with this since ordering a height gauge was going to take a little longer, not to mention why not temporarily or indefinitely repurpose/double duty other things and save some money.

I've seen Nick Wheeler using a height gauge in order to scribe the centerline of the handle along the blade line, relative to the ricasso. Thank you @NickWheeler, very handy!

So I was looking around in my "shop" to figure out a way to recreate that with what I had on hand.

I hope this will help someone else while in a pinch.

[​IMG]

And I rounded off the screws to make it easy to adjust it on the granite surface and also glide easily.

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Constantin

Wilfred17, Ken H>, E.Carlson and 7 others like this.
  2. Heli00

Heli00

Oct 19, 2017
    Oh , I forgot.
    And if you find that the two height adjusting screws are moving too much/easily , put a little blue thread lock on them or teflon tape.

Cheers,
    Constantin

Kali4nia likes this.
  3. Kali4nia

Kali4nia

Aug 12, 2015
    :thumbsup:Very simple elegant solution

4. Heli00

Heli00

Oct 19, 2017
    Thank you, Sir!

5. Salem Straub

Salem Straub KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 20, 2008
    That's genius! I like the way you think.

6. bjansen

bjansen

Feb 4, 2013
    Excellent post. Thanks

7. Volkert Forge

Volkert Forge KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 25, 2018
    That's awesome!!

8. Heli00

Heli00

Oct 19, 2017
    Thank you guys, glad to give back something to this comunity, since I’m taking so much.
    Constantin

9. jll346

jll346 Knife maker Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 29, 2006
    Very creative. Nice job