1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

1095: My first real regret since knife making

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by artney_iv, Oct 29, 2013.

1. artney_iv

artney_iv

Apr 19, 2013
    Okay, long story short, I needed steel in a pinch, Aldo is out of 1084 dimensions that I need (and has been for weeks)
    (.187"x 2" bar stock)
    So I foolishly purchased 1095. I bought 3 sticks of it in .187" x 2" x 48". The tube is not even opened yet. I was headed to the shop today to start working with it and as I did some checking on a question or two I had, I fell into the labyrinth of 1095 info that we all know too well. The result: I'm either going to have to send my 1095 off to heat treat, or attempt to sell what I've got and find something else.

Ol' Socrates said it best "All I know is that I know nothing." and that seems to ring truer for me as time goes on and wisdom creeps in.

Thanks for listening to my little breakdown of sorts. Finally on to the point: I guess I'll be giving some business to a heat treating service as I don't have the proper equipment for a steel that's obviously so demanding and I'm not willing to put out anything less than my best.

Thanks to all.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2013
  2. i4Marc

i4Marc KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2011
    Advertising sales here is a no no. Post it in the "for sale" section. Simple griping is ok though. Ask Aldo if he has those dimensions in 1075 or 80CrV2. Those are good and you should be able to HT those at home. The 80CrV2 might require a bit longer soak though.

3. javand

javand

Oct 17, 2010
    1095 isn't that hard to HT if you've got fast quench medium. Why is everyone so scared of it?

That 1075 Aldo has is killer, from what I've seen so far, I'd put it up against the current 1084 no problem. Dead easy to HT. Oven, forge, torch, whatever, although we were quenching in parks 50.

4. i4Marc

i4Marc KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2011
    I have some of Aldo's 1075. I keep looking at it but reach for the 80CrV2 since that is what I'm playing with these days. I didn't realize the 1075 was THAT good. Now that it is getting colder it is time to fire up the forge again and slap some of that 1075 around. I'm using P50 as well.

5. quint

quint

Nov 29, 2011
    I really like aldos 1095, it can produce some killer hamons and isnt too bad to ht once you play with it a bit. His 1075 is also pretty darn nice. It makes a nice hamon as well.

i4Marc how do you like the 80crv2? I have a couple bars coming my direction. From what I have heard it can make a most excellent chopper.

6. Daniel Fairly Knives

Daniel Fairly Knives Full Time Knifemaker Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 9, 2011
    Soak time is one issue but as far as quenchant goes you can use brine in a pinch. Brine is risky but with a very thick edge and no big stress risers you should be good to go... of course that is just an option.

7. i4Marc

Oct 19, 2011
    Quint,

To be honest, I don't know yet. I have made about 8 blades from the 80CrV2 but haven't sharpened them yet. They are heat treated and ground to .010 but are waiting for hand sanding. They should be pretty nice when completed. I don't live too far from Aldo's shop. I speak to him often. He has related to me reports from well known makers who have finished knives with it. The reports are that these guys beat the crap out of the knives but can't get them to stop cutting. I am looking forward to finishing my blades and finding out for myself. I'm a very cautious person and approach each stage slowly with much preparation and consideration. This sucks because it takes forever to get anything done. If you get a knife made out of this stuff before I do, please report back and let us know how it works for you.

8. Morrow

Morrow Don't make this weird Staff Member Super Mod

Apr 11, 2007
    You do not have the proper membership to sell here. I've edited your post.