1095 Patina Discussion

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Viper84, Jan 26, 2021.

1. Viper84

Viper84 Patina Artist Platinum Member

Dec 31, 2020
    For me I let the juices sit on the knife for a few minutes before wiping it clean.

Boxer .45 and tmd_87 like this.
  2. sceva

sceva Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 18, 2002
    Cutting strawberries, kiwis or apples works well.\\ Pile Side.JPG 2014 Bladeforums  after 5 years 2.JPG 2014 Bladeforums  after 5 years 1.JPG Mark Side Patina 1.JPG Mark Side 2 .JPG

3. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    I have on occasion took mine from my pockets in the summer after a long hot day of work to find a nice bright orange spots of patina:rolleyes:

4. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    The only knife I've ever deliberately tried to force a patina on was a RR whittler that claimed to be carbon, but the blade had a faint "SS" etch on it. I forget what I stuck it into, but it was definitely carbon. I've been carrying my 23 in mesquite every day for a few months now, and use it for mostly food, cutting up chicken in salads, cutting steaks, etc. It seems to be developing a pretty good patina from just riding in the pocket. It's heavier out toward the end of the blade, where I do most of my cutting, but the whole blade is taking on a pretty nice grey color. I'll try to get a pic of it tomorrow.

tmd_87 likes this.
  5. hornetguy

Feb 11, 2015
    :D:D:D orange patina..... who'd a thunk it? :cool:

Misplaced Hillbilly likes this.
  6. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    I usually cut apples or cooked meats like chicken or beef. You can also force a patina with mustard or vinegar. These two are vinegar patinas—very nice dark grey:

1D591407-8A32-4CD8-B629-CE9832624C31.jpeg CEDBC71C-7F7E-4961-909C-42302590A7AA.jpeg

7. Will Power

Will Power Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Citrus will certainly make a nice colour, as your new Barlow shows.

I just had been cutting up several Limes with a knife and left the blade open and had gone off somewhere suddenly for the week-end. When I returned some pitting had developed and I needed to use a green scourer to get off the blackening, then a couple of pits showed. My fault entirely and a stupid thing I would never usually do, but heat of the moment stuff ;)

Usually, I'd clean a knife under very hot water, dry it and leave the knife open for a while before closing. What's certainly true is that if you use just ONE carbon knife for a week or two, carry it, cut fruit&veg etc and wipe it down, you'll produce some fine colouratation :cool:

Un-Chained, Pt-Luso and Viper84 like this.
  8. Will Power

Will Power Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Patience

[​IMG]

9. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    I once forced a patina on a GEC #66 Stockman.
    I didn't like it, it didn't look natural, and sold that knife cheap... true story.

Un-Chained and huntnfishin like this.
  10. solphilos

solphilos Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Forced patinas can look quite awful, I’ve had to start over by polishing a few blades myself. Now I cheat by using my pocket knives in the kitchen more than necessary and “forgetting” to clean them off for a period of time :rolleyes:

If I just carry my knives and use them normally they will stay shiny for years, with a few exceptions.

Un-Chained, Txjohn, bigfish64 and 3 others like this.
  11. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    That's the truth. If they don't see food or high humidity, they can stay looking new for a long time.

Un-Chained, tmd_87 and solphilos like this.
  12. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    I no longer own this knife, but if you are gonna force a patina, then patterns are in the discussion as well.

23BocoteOpen.jpg

13. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    Recycled this pic of some 1095 users[​IMG]

14. hornetguy

Feb 11, 2015
    Here's a couple of not so great pics of my 23 with the patina developing.... it's beginning to feel like it's "mine"... :D

[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Viper84

Dec 31, 2020
    Another apple, another layer of patina.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Jiki

Jiki Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 12, 2018
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

A few that I carry.

17. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    Just use 'em. Nature will take it's course.
    [​IMG]

18. bax229

bax229 Gold Member Gold Member

May 7, 2016
    Warm ham from the oven turned a few of my knives blue almost instantly.

Un-Chained, Viper84 and cudgee like this.
  19. Mongo

Mongo

Nov 5, 2001
    I've found that my most colorful and cool patinas have come from cutting raw meat, especially beef. Also, the knife that I use on my Thanksgiving turkey has developed a really nice multi colored patina from just that task.

Un-Chained and tmd_87 like this.
  20. Viper84

Dec 31, 2020
    I have only cut fruit with this knife. I've found that the way the light hits your knife can have a big effect on the colors. I was playing around with multiple light sources with for this pic.

[​IMG]