1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

110 blade differences question

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by AndrewH60, May 24, 2019.

1. AndrewH60

AndrewH60 Gold Member Gold Member

May 15, 2019
    057EFC66-020C-4BE6-B50C-E9B6EC45C31D.jpeg A7F59560-F1F4-4D45-9F6F-4007C244E1E9.jpeg Can any Buck experts suggest a reason for the different stamp and nail nick size on these.
    Mainly just for curiosity sake.
    Thanks for any insights.

2. sassafrassdogs3

sassafrassdogs3 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2016
    Retooling the stamp?? I would say the smaller stamp is old and the other the new?? Maybe the stamp wore out during the production year?? To me, the "newer" one looks like tip has been broken off and reshaped...

jbmonkey and David Martin like this.
  3. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    Pins are smaller also. Not an expert but different variation?

jbmonkey and Chilebrown like this.
  4. AndrewH60

May 15, 2019
    Thanks. Yes the bigger stamped one is well worn and has been tipped also has a bit of blade play.

5. AndrewH60

May 15, 2019
    Thanks for the reply. Maybe, I’ll have to look. I hadn’t noticed but they do look it in the photo.

6. st8yd

st8yd Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2009
    If you look at the 110 data sheet thread in the stickies above, you will see that those were made from 1974-80 and there are 4 variations in that era yours is the 6th and 7th variation. This is based on the pins.
    However these descriptions dont describe the differences you have noted. So as mentioned above probably just a retooling mid stream.
    But maybe someone here knows more than is on the data sheet.

jbmonkey and Chilebrown like this.
  7. AndrewH60

May 15, 2019
    Thanks for the reply and the data ref.
    Cheers.

8. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Andrew, that stamp went on for years and it would wear and need replacing. But the different pins,--- those went through changes in 1978 (George Stenzel) from their size and number. This is a clue to dating both the knives in your photo. DM

jbmonkey likes this.
  9. AndrewH60

May 15, 2019
    Thanks David.

10. Chilebrown

Chilebrown

Oct 4, 2017
    Here is an image of the 4 versions from my collection. I had a dickens of a time finding the small pin version. It can be hard to determine if it is small pinned by photos unless you have the side by side comparison.

[​IMG]

11. AndrewH60

May 15, 2019
    Thanks Chilebrown for showing these. My small stamp looks like the top one and maybe the third but with different pin and nail pull configuration.

12. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Chilebrown, thanks for the photo showing all of the 2 dot variations. Hang on to them as we will likely revisit this topic. DM

Chilebrown and jbmonkey like this.