1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

110 CNC'd Titanium Club Knife

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by JAGcustomknives, Mar 31, 2017.

1. JAGcustomknives

JAGcustomknives Making Knives Again Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 31, 2010
    Picking this up today for inspection. It's made of tool steel for this test run.
    This is going to save me a whole lot of time. The first one of these took me about 20 hours to jig, hand mill and shape, not to mention the ridiculous amount of consumables since it was a first try. I have refined it a lot since. Now it's just going to take $$ to have someone else do the rough stuff.
    Will update project as time goes on.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    strategy9 likes this.
  2. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Good improvement. I'm guessing those ridges will remain and you'll fill them in with a liner or some glue material.? DM

3. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Tool steel just for a test run? DM

4. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    Looks great.
    A steel framed 110 would work for me, too. Especially if it was color case hardened.

5. MICHAEL5135

MICHAEL5135

Sep 29, 2015
    Ah Milling I miss my job. Those things you call ridges on the knife handle itself are only lines in the steel it is very smooth. Do you have a CNC milling machine at JAGcustoms or is it one at a time manual. I'm from the old school, they just started to equip with CNC milling machines. I didn't notice before both sides from one piece of steel. Will the handles be hardened or left soft? I just went back and read the title CNC'd. Got to read everything. Let the machine do it's work. I like that.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2017
  6. MICHAEL5135

MICHAEL5135

Sep 29, 2015
    I have a damascus handled 110 and a damascus blade 110. I would like to get the blade put into the handle to have an all damascus knife. I'd do it myself if I had the right tools but I live in an appt. and am retired.

7. JAGcustomknives

JAGcustomknives Making Knives Again Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 31, 2010
    Yes it will be nice to not have to make these by hand anymore. I milled about 15 only by hand .
    There are no ridges so no filling will be required. The O1 tool steel was on hand as the titanium will be arriving early this week.
    I may try and case harden the prototype.

A damascus handle 110 and quite possibly a Timascus bolstered 110 will probably be clamped in the jig soon enough!

MTHall720 likes this.
  8. JAGcustomknives

Aug 31, 2010
    I have access to an enormous shear. This will save on tooling as titanium eats even the best coated carbides.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A couple more weeks and we should have more pictures to share if you guys want updates

9. afishhunter

afishhunter

Oct 21, 2014
    Looking forward to the updates.

10. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Looks good. I'm guessing these are 3/16" thick and the measurements are the width of Ti material. Then shape these into 110 frames. Cutting slots for handle slabs and drilling the holes for screws. Maybe 4 holes if you glue the handle slabs in? All with a CNC cutter. This will be some major advancements forward for you.Good times ahead. DM

11. JAGcustomknives

Aug 31, 2010
    Thank you David. You are correct. 3/16" bolsters are slightly smaller than current factory production.
    Handle slabs can be glued or bolted. They are sorted by maximum width for easier machining/squaring of the sheared edges prior to clamping.

There is a possibility of a Limited Edition being done for BCCI through the facebook page. We are thinking Rams horn for scales and a modern S35v blade.

12. David Martin

Apr 7, 2008
    Ok. Thanks, sounds good. I'll keep in touch. DM

13. pjsjr

pjsjr Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 2, 2005
    This is great JAG, your work is taking on another dimension. I'm a BCCI member and am interested, but don't do facebook. Preston

14. MICHAEL5135

MICHAEL5135

Sep 29, 2015
    I also am a member of BCCI and am interested in your knives, but please don't do facebook.
    BCCI Lifetime member #2939

15. JAGcustomknives

Aug 31, 2010
    Here's a video from today at the shop. We made some good progress.

375dave, MICHAEL5135 and strategy9 like this.
  16. MICHAEL5135

MICHAEL5135

Sep 29, 2015
    I like the clip, Saw CNC milling machines at a spring show but they were not set up to run. Many moons ago. Now for exact repeat production it can't be beat. I like the wash that cleans the chips away. It must have a filter to catch them and recirculate a clean wash, lube. No more burning up an end mill. Gotta love it!! YEA!
    Are you going to have your own web page? I'd like to ask more but don't want a lecture. I am interested.

17. MICHAEL5135

MICHAEL5135

Sep 29, 2015
    Deleted same as above.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  18. 300Bucks

300Bucks Moderator Moderator

Apr 19, 2005
    Michael, Jag has his own forum over in the Knife Makers area, as shown on the BF Home page. I bet he will be glad to discuss every question if you don't want to ask them here. 300

19. JAGcustomknives

Aug 31, 2010
    Craig is correct. I have a hosted forum linked in my signature. There is more info there.
    Thanks,

Jerad

20. JAGcustomknives

Aug 31, 2010
    Hey guys, here's a sneak peak at the BCCI blades going into titanium frames.
    My machine shop has been booked up for the last month so no progress yet. Worst case scenerio is I make them by hand but....
    I really like where the factory put the BCCI on the blade!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
    2TONYB, pjsjr, jbmonkey and 2 others like this.