1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 24 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Benchmade 535 Bugout, along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

How To 110 on Sharpmaker?

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by Mitch Taldison, May 14, 2019.

1. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Buck's edge 2000 was more about thinning the hollow grind and the shoulder of the flats. This thinner hollow grind allowed the blade to penetrate better making a deeper cut. KATRA machines supported this testing. I think a 16- 15* edge was used during these tests. DM

TAH, KarlG and jbmonkey like this.
  2. Scott321

Scott321

Jul 20, 2016
    30 degrees plus 40 degrees micro for me. I usually just use the white/fine stones for the micro.

3. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    I've been playing with buck factory edged knives I have still using the 30 inclusive or 15 degree and 15 degree side of the sharpmaker. it does work pretty well. occasionally I'd have to tilt my wrist, add a few degrees, a bit to hit the edge. for the most part, on the handful of factory edges I tested, it hits the edge. I'm surprised but pleasantly. im not sure if im hitting a microbevel or not. appears no, but I need to get the loupe out to see better....eyes getting old......

4. pjsjr

pjsjr Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 2, 2005
    You could use a Magic Marker on just the bevel...it will show where the Sharpmaker is hitting the edge:thumbsup:.

sassafrassdogs3 and jbmonkey like this.
  5. jbmonkey

Jun 9, 2011
    yep know that trick. im hitting the edge, just cant tell if buck is putting a micro bevel on it or not. appears no. primary bevel only.

6. pjsjr

pjsjr Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Got-cha, I mis-read your post, thinking you were trying to put a micro-bevel on the primary.

jbmonkey likes this.
  7. jbmonkey

Jun 9, 2011
    yes Sir. im a poor typer and poor thought poster. was still a good post for anyone who doesnt know the marker/sharpie trick on sharpening.

I dont think micro as that would mean primary was much steeper than the 15 degree per side. Jeff said closer to the 15 so cant really be a micro.

I'm still blown away can get 30 inclusive edges on factory bucks. would have bet against it until saw it myself. go figure......

Last edited: May 30, 2019
    sassafrassdogs3 likes this.
  8. sassafrassdogs3

sassafrassdogs3 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2016
    The old saying is true " a dull knife is more dangerous than a sharp one". That being said how sharp do you really need your knife to be? Some of this sounds like your going to do surgery on something or someone, which I have done. I like a super sharp knife but when I open up a new knife from Buck and I have blood coming out 2 -3 different places and I didn't feel it, I figure it's sharp enough. If I could save on bandaids I could buy more Buck knives, it's a vicious circle...But I like it...:D:D:D:D:D:D

I think when needed I'll send mine into Buck for the SPA service, they get them sharper than I could ever get them. Plus they look new when you get them back....

jbmonkey likes this.
  9. jbmonkey

Jun 9, 2011
    buck does a great job on factory sharp edges. I just like to refine them in finer grits depending on the steel type. its relaxing in a weird way and just makes me feel better about the knife. I like knives as sharp as I can get them which is silly I know. OCD type of problem.:)

JD Bear, OLd_gUY and sassafrassdogs3 like this.
  10. J Hubbard

J Hubbard Moderator Moderator Platinum Member

Mar 29, 2001
    not quite... Pre edge 2000 we did not have a set standard, each Edger edged and sharpened they way they felt was best. This resulted in our angles being all over the place. We kicked off experiments using our CATRA Edge retention tester with a variety of angles and sharpening techniques. This allowed us to come up with the current standard which is what we found are the best angles and sharpening technique for providing excellent initial sharpness and edge life. We really didn't change the hollow grind parameters behind the edge. We also discovered that when we did the old style polish on the edge line, we were creating a rounded edge surface which is the root cause of all those comments in the old days that our knives were hard to sharpen.

KarlG, skyhorse, pjsjr and 6 others like this.