1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

110 One Year On

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by The Zieg, Apr 8, 2019.

1. wildmike

wildmike

Nov 17, 2007
    Email sent!
    Doesn't look bad at all for a years regular use!
    How is it strength wise?
    Is the light weight off putting?

2. bucksway

bucksway Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 7, 2007
    tiguy7 all the tiny tiny little parts on the take apart BCCI 110 would be a real challenge for some of us to reassemble lol! When I get the 112 version I have the feeling mine will stay together..

The Zieg likes this.
  3. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    No, the light weight isn't offputting at all. It's plenty strong, as strong as a brass 110. Maybe stronger. In my original review, I mentioned how the balance is better because of the light weight but inspires more confidence than the 110 LT. I suppose this might be intensified by a heavier scale material, but I like the red micarta.

Zieg

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
    wildmike likes this.
  4. wildmike

wildmike

Nov 17, 2007
    I too found the 110 lt too light for my tastes.

I love micarta as a handle material.

I'm putting one of these on my short list.

The Zieg likes this.
  5. pinnah

pinnah

Jul 28, 2011
    I'll reflect on my 1+ year use of my C&C aluminum 110.

I can't detect any meaningful play in my mine after a years fairly regular EDC use. Note... If I anticipate really hard use, I reach for a different knife, so I can't say I've pushed this knife as hard as others I own.

The balance, for me, has been very interesting. At first, I hated it. A Buck 110 has a certain feel and when picking this knife up, it didn't have that tail heavy heft. It felt unfamiliar.

But after a month or so, the knife started to feel very natural. Now, a year later, the balance feels just incredibly natural. It feels so good that normal 110s now bug me in comparison.

I would say, if you keep comparing it to the standard 110, you may not like it because it is very different.

But if you can use the knife without comparing it and just judge it on its own merit, it might surprise you. It did me. I've gone from "this feels weird" -> "I don't like it" -> "I doesn't bug me as much as it used to" -> <not even noticing it anymore> -> "I sort of like it better, actually" -> "Dang, I really love this."

The Zieg, st8yd and wildmike like this.
  6. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    What a difference a movie makes! I decided to go back and try the technique @guitar1580 and I were talking about. So sat I down to watch the Netflix movie "The Highwaymen" and began to work the pivot on the 110 over and over. Turns out all the grittiness needed was persistence!

Now, to be honest, it still doesn't feel like a well loved brass 110, and I'm sure it's even audible compared to a Sebenza (not that I've ever seen a Sebenza in person), but it is sooo much better that I don't always notice it now. Plus, I got to watch a good movie.

Zieg

guitar1580, wildmike and pjsjr like this.
  7. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    BDBCE929-589F-4AAE-8B03-48F0D53220BD.jpeg
    That may look like a lot of parts, but one time I disassembled and reassembled a 3 speed Sturmey Archer hub with an added coaster brake. It came close to rocket surgery.

8. st8yd

st8yd Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 6, 2009
    Ya not much to the 110, 4 screws, spacer, lock bar and blade.

9. 110 Dave

110 Dave Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2004
    החבר שלך אומר עשר דייב
    ואין דבר כזה יותר מדי סכינים!

jbmonkey, bucksway and The Zieg like this.
  10. bucksway

bucksway Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 7, 2007
    Translation?

11. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    Hebrew....says.....

Your friend says ten Dave
    And there's no such thing as too many knives!

wildmike likes this.
  12. 110 Dave

110 Dave Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2004
    should be
    your friend one ten dave says no such thing as to many knives

The Zieg, jbmonkey and wildmike like this.
  13. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    הייתי קרוב.....

The Zieg likes this.
  14. tiguy7

tiguy7 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 25, 2008
    Those dings can be removed using successively finer grinding and polishing belts run over a contact wheels. After leaving the finest polishing belt, a little buffing is in order. This work is not too fussy because there is no finish now and none to be applied.

15. aztaco

aztaco

Jun 13, 2011
    Dings add character

AntDog and The Zieg like this.
  16. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    I think I'd get the right tool for the job.
    What is the weight of this model?
    For me the point on my drop point is too broad to use it on splinters and such. Which is also the case using it on small areas while cleaning a bird or fish. Still, I like the eye appeal of a drop point. Each style preforms better on different tasks. DM

Tecate and jbmonkey like this.
  17. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    I'm leaving them. I have no problem with dings and scars as long as they don't irritate my hands in use.

Zieg

18. The Zieg

The Zieg

Jan 31, 2002
    Dunno the exact weight offhand, but for me it has been the right tool for the job most the time.

Zieg

19. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    I sold the aluminum 110 I had, tried to like it. The heft of a brass 110 isnt too much to be honest. Feels right, balance feels right, plus I like the thunk of opening the blade on brass vs the clink of aluminum. Cool though and the lack of weight at first surprises you. Definately does not weigh your pants down.
    To me it feels like a solid core front door of your house vs a hollow core closet door, silly comparison but the best I can describe it,

The 110 slim Micarta or g10 is my goto lightweight version.

20. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    Thanks Mak. I have wondered what I would think about that. I like the heft of ole blue. The nickle frame 110 with blue micarta handles.
    It just feels solid. I'm not planing on driving nails or cracking nuts with my 110. Not intentional abuse activities like that but I could drop it in
    the grocery store parking lot. If that gives it a dent, I'll sand it out. Now a aluminum frame, screw together with micarta handles I would go
    for, just for the novelty of having that design. DM