1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker Urban Trapper Cocobolo , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 30 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

112 Slim nail nick?

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by jazzz, May 5, 2019.

1. jazzz

jazzz

Feb 1, 2009
    I just bought this at Canadian Tire. Didn’t know they made them without studs. Anyway, very nice and solid. Why is this thin knife more solid and blade play free than the LT?

[​IMG]

Bloefield, jbmonkey and jmh33 like this.
  2. redcanoe

redcanoe Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 12, 2012
    Well I haven't tried the LT but my 112 slim with thumbstud is solid,no play in any direction after months of use.

3. Reitwagen

Reitwagen

Mar 2, 2009
    Cool 112, jazzz. My two 112 Slims have perfectly solid actions, they lock up as well as the classic brass Bucks, but every LT I've handled has been a disappointment. I think that the pivot and rocker pins on the LTs might not fit the holes in the handles precisely. Don't take that to the bank, it's only my untested theory. I highly recommend the Slims, but not the LT.

4. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    neat. nice find there. appears a Canadian style one.........not one handed opening I assume for importing reasons, but just guessing.

it is weird how the lts had some play, but the slims plastics are rock tight in a good way. not gonna assume why......

as much as I love pocket clips and one handed opening...modern stuff for easier use.....some old times stuff still has an appeal to me. kinda like if we all had both options available on the slims.....

5. jazzz

jazzz

Feb 1, 2009
    Yes, I like that the clip keeps it out of my pocket bottom, but I really like the look of a nail nick. I don’t mind the two hand opening either.

Must be for Canadian import, though lately things SEEM back to normal. Who knows?

jbmonkey likes this.
  6. RAGS

RAGS Basic Member Basic Member

Jul 11, 2000
    Yeah I've noticed that on the 110s as well. The LTs all have a little play but the slim select are rock solid. Dont know why.

jbmonkey likes this.
  7. jazzz

jazzz

Feb 1, 2009
    Also, I really dislike deep carry clips, and this one’s too wide, so... the Spyderco Delica clip fits perfect.

[​IMG]

8. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    The Spyderco logo ok though?

9. jazzz

jazzz

Feb 1, 2009
    I was hoping a Byrd model would fit, but it didn’t. They have no logo. I’m a huge Spyderco fan, so it doesn’t bother me. I know it’s a good quality Buck knife I’m toting.

BuckShack and jbmonkey like this.
  10. BuckShack

BuckShack Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 19, 2015
    These new models have a nice feel to them like a Spyderco and that is good. Solid, easy opening, ergonomic. And at a great price. Buck really hit the nail on the head with these.

11. harlycarly

harlycarly Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 1, 2008
    I love that!! I like my 112 Slim, but honestly wish it didn't have thumb studs. Can see myself picking one of these up at some point.

(PS: Mine locks up very nicely)

12. Kyui Su Kim

Kyui Su Kim Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 26, 2000
    That seems real cool. I kind of like the nail nice over the stud and wish it was offered here stateside. I did see that there was a 721 Slimline that had a nail nick being offered as well.

13. MaxFisher

MaxFisher

Feb 5, 2005
    One upside to this is that Spyderco sells their pocket clips if you call their factory outlet stores. So I can buy them specifically for my Buck 110/112 slims instead of having to steal the clips off my Spydercos.

redcanoe likes this.
  14. Smitty0315

Smitty0315

May 21, 2019
    Buck Knives produces Canadian specific blades because of "One hand opening" laws in Canada. USA blades will come with the thumbstuds and Canadian dealers will stock the nail notched versions of some models.