1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

119 or 124? Which do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by TAH, Mar 26, 2016.

1. TAH

TAH Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 3, 2001
    A few months ago, I purchased my first 119. It is late 70s model/440C blade. I have taken it camping once and have used it in the kitchen quite a bit. Nothing excessive, just normal knife stuff. Well, I used to think the 124 was THE knife, but the 119 is really growing on me. The narrower 6 inch blade is very useful for a variety of tasks and the handle is super comfortable. The handle is just the right length for the crow's beak pommel to be more functional than usual. Just a beautifully designed knife with great style to boot. :thumbup:

Curious to hear your thoughts on the 119 vs. the 124 or just your thoughts on the 119 alone.

[​IMG]

2. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    I have the same knife and sheath with the same spacers. I have used my 119 more camping and processing deer than my 1994 model 124.
    Both have some items that could be improved. On the 119 I would thin down the edge bevel. This would greatly improve it's cutting ability.
    Then I'd give it a longer pommel so I could fit a lanyard hole in it. Still, I haven't because I want to leave it original. I carry my 119 several times a year and it is a good, dependable knife. DM

3. DDDWho

DDDWho

Aug 21, 2015
    When I head to the woods or go camping the 119 is my most versatile knife. Others may do certain jobs better but for all around use the 119 is my choice. Its at home in the kitchen as well as processing most game animals. Being smaller than the 124 makes it handier to pack or carry. As the old ad nauseam threads go "If I could only have one" it would be a 119

4. MercyfulfateXX

MercyfulfateXX

Mar 2, 2014
    I like and have both. My main Hunting Knife out of all my Bucks is my 124.

5. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    I think those made in 1982 with a fuller hollow grind cut better and you have to live with 425M steel and the handle. It's still a good model. I carried my 119 this morning while predator calling. DM

6. 110 Dave

110 Dave Gold Member Gold Member

May 6, 2004
    119 is a good hunting knife
    124 is good heavy camp knife
    if could have only one
    would take a 120
    JMHO

7. drei3ree

drei3ree Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 20, 2015
    I'm gonna straddle the fence and say both. For camping and big game, I gotta have the 124. However, there is always a 119 in my ruck for fish and birds! I don't know how a person could take just one...caveat: I just started carrying the 124 about 10 years ago, but have depended on the 119 since the early 70's. I've tried many times and just can't find a blade that I like better and none come close for under $50!!!

edit--...and have always carried a 110, but don't need to explain why.

8. sams

sams

Apr 21, 2001
    Tom, I bought my 119 in the mid 1960's and have had one ever since then. I bought them as gifts also. It is the perfect knock around knife and always see one in a hunting group. I think it is a bit large for deer but it will work. I was just checking the edge on mine inside the pick up truck yesterday. It is in the map pocket and has been there for about 15 years. I bought the 124 but never used it. I think the Buck Special is better as a working knife than the big 124.

9. TAH

TAH Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 3, 2001
    Thanks everyone. For me, the 119's lighter weight also adds to its appeal. Anyway, I'm really loving this knife, more than I thought I would. :thumbup:

10. DDDWho

DDDWho

Aug 21, 2015
    I also have a 120. Its slightly longer than the 124 and has basically the same blade shape as the 119. The 120 is too long for my taste, seems unhandy. Its in my way when I sit down with it on my belt.
    The 119 has a nice feel to its length and balance, a great all-round knife (if an all-round knife exists)