1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 33 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Boker 732 Urban Trapper

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Boker 732 Urban Trapper , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, August 17 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

119 Sheath Survey

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by TAH, May 9, 2016.

1. TAH

TAH Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 3, 2001
    All things considered (appearance, function, belt loop placement, material, etc.), if all of these sheaths were available today, which would you choose for your 119 and why?

A
    [​IMG]

B
    [​IMG]

C
    [​IMG]

D
    [​IMG]

E
    [​IMG]

2. MT_Pokt

MT_Pokt Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 21, 2014
    If "B" was the one with the swivel, that would be the one for me. I like the knife lower and I prefer a dangler. Ever sit down in a chair, truck, atv, etc... and have the knife refuse to get out of the way? Me too...

Kudos again to Makael for his GAW a few weeks back. I got the perfect (IMHO) 119 sheath.

The only thing I did that's not in the photo is I threaded a piece of paracord with a knot on it through the hole in the tip of the sheath that I could lash around my leg so it didn't go flailing about too bad.
    [​IMG]

If my Makael plug and photo detract from your post, let me know and I'll edit my post to remove them.

3. TAH

Jul 3, 2001
    Not at all, Pokt. That's a great looking sheath and similar to Buck's swivel sheath in Photo B. I'll put you down for B. Thanks!

4. Zidfeldts

Zidfeldts

Dec 28, 2010
    I like C. I like the stitching around the blade point

5. Old Hunter

Old Hunter Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2012
    Put me down for A, the flap both protects and holds the knife securely; also there is enough opening in the belt loop to allow for adjustment when wearing. C is my least favorite (assuming the fit on the 119 is similar to the fit on my 118 with that type sheath) - it is too tight on the spine and edge of the blade. OH

6. TAH

Jul 3, 2001
    I'm going to agree with Pokt on "B". It's hard to beat the swivel sheath on a knife this size. "A" would be my second choice.

And yes, I'm keeping score. :D

A = 1
    B = 2
    C = 1
    D = 0
    E = 0

7. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    It would be awesome to have a 119 with a left handed flap sheath and a matching 1911 with matching holster.
    That would be awesome, especially if the 1911 was stainless with phenolic grips with little buck 119's in them.

8. unimogbert

unimogbert

Jul 15, 2015
    I like A. Because there is room for embossing one's name or initials on the flap to easily personalize the item or make it a gift.

(And it reminds me of the 119 that was stolen from my home long ago which had my initials on the flap and my name on the blade.)

9. Stubai

Stubai

Mar 16, 2007
    Over the years I have had many different sheaths for the 119. If I were king, I'd likely go with option A. The full flap variety keeps the knife safe and sound. The A version was also the most expensive for Buck to fabricate. To me, the A variety is a veritable classic!

10. drei3ree

drei3ree Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 20, 2015
    I like them all, and each one has it's own benefit, but "E" is the best when considering all aspects. The plastic liner is probably my most favorite innovation.

11. MercyfulfateXX

MercyfulfateXX

Mar 2, 2014
    im stuck with a lot of Bs but would like to have the As

12. TAH

Jul 3, 2001
    Apparently, my copy and paste likes lower case. :confused:

a = 5
    b = 2
    c = 1
    d = 0
    e = 1

13. postfallsidaho

postfallsidaho

Oct 11, 2008
    I like the style of B myself, but I honestly prefer style D...

For hunting and a knife I use you can't beat the Cordura IMHO. I probably don't take the best care of my sheaths and I ruined a leather one from sitting in cold wet duck blinds. I know, I'm the black sheep on this one :D

14. David Martin

David Martin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 7, 2008
    I like 'C' the best. I have some of the others but C is stiffer and has thicker leather. I don't care about a swivel. DM

15. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2015
    Thanks. I like that sheath quite a bit. I'm glad your enjoying it.

16. RevolverGuy

RevolverGuy

Aug 19, 2015
    "A". The full flap protects the entire handle from the elements (rain, dirt, woods brush, etc). A top flap does not get in the way like the side flaps do in the other designs when deploying the blade. I own a few gun holsters with a similar design and they are excellent for woods carry.

17. mqqn

mqqn Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 12, 2009
    I prefer the style C, personally.

I like the handle being free to put a hand on, which I tend to find myself doing.

And I also like the look of the stitching.

best

mqqn

18. Wood Splitter

Wood Splitter

Jul 16, 2011
    I would absolutely love A. In fact, I'd be happy to pay extra for it if re-introduced. I love full flap sheaths, especially in my environment.

19. sams

sams

Apr 21, 2001
    put me down for A, Tom. I can put the knife away so much safer bouncing in the fishing boat with the pouch style sheath.

20. TAH

Jul 3, 2001
    Thanks for the replies and comments so far. Very interesting.

a = 8
    b = 2
    c = 3
    d = 1
    e = 1