1st Bush Ringer

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Tai Goo, May 20, 2011.

1. Tai Goo

Tai Goo Banned BANNED

Apr 7, 2006
    Here’s a neo one, my first “Bush Ringer“. :)
    Ray Richard is going to make a sheath for it.

13-1/2 inch OAL
    8-1/2 inch blade
    1-1/8 inch ring inside diameter

Blade- 1065 steel
    Handle- Walnut wood with woven cotton wrappings
    Ferrule with ring- Copper

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. indian george

indian george

Feb 15, 1999
    Sweeeet Tai G.:cool:

3. Burton Harruff

Burton Harruff

Oct 1, 2007
    Nice one Tai.

4. S R Floyd

S R Floyd

Feb 28, 2010
    That is Bad A$$! One question, how is the ring attached and how would it hold up to a short blow ( missing your target and hitting the ring with your finger inside )?

Scott

5. Rick Marchand

Rick Marchand Donkey on the Edge Moderator

Jan 6, 2005
    Nice piece, Tai. I like how the blade seems to have poured/grown out of the handle. You mentioned in another thread that sometimes the handle inspires the blade.... this looks like a good example. Now, figure out a folder with that ring... where you can spin it on your finger and the centrifugal force opens the knife.:thumbup:

Rick

6. Jeremy Horton

Jeremy Horton

Oct 1, 2007
    That's wild bro. I can dig it!

7. Tai Goo

Tai Goo Banned BANNED

Apr 7, 2006
    Thanks guys!

Scott, it’s silver soldered to the ferrule and very solid. I filed a flat spot on the ring where it attaches to the ferrule to give the seam extra surface area. If you missed a target and hit the ring, nothing would happen, accept it would protect your finger. It is copper though so throwing it probably wouldn’t be a good idea. If it was hit hard enough from the side it is conceivable (but not likely) that the ring might get bent slightly to one side or another, but bending it back wouldn’t be that big of deal. I did drop it once while I was working on it and it hit the ring,… nothing happened. You could think of it as a “ring shaped guard” and should treat it as such...

Being my first “big” ringer, of course I had to test it out on some of the hardwoods around the shop. Once I got a feel for it, that ring really added a lot to the ergonomics of it. At first I was just holding it with my index finger through the ring, but then started pulling or squeezing down on it, kind of like a finger on a trigger. It added a lot of power and security to my cutting strokes, a totally different feel. You’ll probably see me doing more of them down the road. Fun knife.

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  8. Raymond Richard

Raymond Richard

Jun 17, 2001
    Looks like a throwing knife to me. :D Just got another idea for the sheath after looking at the picture. I just hope this knife can handle this northwest weather. Not bad for an old geeser........

9. Dan Pierson

Dan Pierson

Nov 24, 2003
    Good design Tai. I like this best so far of your ringer series. Your discussion of the
    ergonomics of the right is very interesting -- style and function definitely playing
    together.

10. PIndelicato

PIndelicato KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 16, 2002
    Beautiful knife, Tai. Your amazing ability to combine creativity, artistry and craftsmanship always leaves me at a loss of words!

11. Mitchell Knives

Mitchell Knives Knifemaker Moderator

May 21, 2000
    Very nice and certainly creative!

12. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    now that looks like fun.

13. Tai Goo

Tai Goo Banned BANNED

Apr 7, 2006
    Thanks!

Here’s what Ray came up with for it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. james terrio

james terrio Sharpest Knife in the Light Socket

Apr 15, 2010
    Nice combo gentlemen. I'm liking copper more and more lately.

15. thearcherwife

thearcherwife

Mar 26, 2009
    Absolutely beautiful knife Tai, and great job making a sheath that fits the style and type of knife Ray! Curtis is going to love it so much! The love and hard work that went into this collaboration project is just amazing, and if he is a good boy I might actually let him use it once in a while too when I'm not busy with it when it gets here. Thanks so much for creating such a fantastic piece of functional art!

-thearcherwife

16. Nathan the Machinist

Nathan the Machinist KnifeMaker / Machinist / Evil Genius Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 13, 2007
    Man, how did I miss this thread? I love looking at the shapes and textures. I really dig that hammered ferrule and wire detail. The sweep of the curve of the edge. The pommel details. So much excellence to look at. You're one hell of an artist Tai.

17. Lorien

Lorien KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 5, 2005
    I almost always cut the hell out of my knuckles when I'm clearing trail I just don't like wearing gloves. That ring is very enticing. Whole damn knife is. Obviously motivated by experience with thorny bushes.
    I think one day when the scrilla is more abundant I will once again come calling on your services good sir smith.