2 layers poll

Discussion in 'Multi-tools & Multi-purpose Knives' started by allenC, May 5, 2020.

There can be only one.

Poll closed May 26, 2020.
  1. Tinker

18.6%
  2. Small Tinker

7.0%
  3. Spartan

25.6%
  4. Tourist

7.0%
  5. Walker

7.0%
  6. Sportsman

7.0%
  7. Compact

25.6%
  8. Evolution 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Evolution 10 Grip

2.3%
  1. allenC

allenC

Jun 18, 2000
    From this list, and this list only, your top choice...

2. comis

comis Gold Member Gold Member

May 17, 2013
    Compact, the large blade and combo tool basically covers most functions from openers and blades layers. Then for urban use, I love the scissors, but would choose lumberjack(walker) if used for outdoor.

allenC likes this.
  3. James Y

James Y

Feb 18, 1999
    I picked the Spartan. I also have a Tinker, but I use the corkscrew to hold my mini-eyeglass screwdriver, as well as loosening overly-tight knots, more than I need a dedicated Phillips driver. Even if I never uncork wine.:)

Jim

4. allenC

allenC

Jun 18, 2000
    Don't forget to vote in the poll.

5. James Y

James Y

Feb 18, 1999
    Oops, I’d forgotten to press the ‘cast your vote’ button.

Jim

Getting older likes this.
  6. Grateful

Grateful Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 5, 2002
    I voted for the Tinker. It’s my most carried two layer sak followed by the Recruit.

Storm 8593 and allenC like this.
  7. SteeleJ1976

SteeleJ1976

Jan 24, 2020
    I will only carry a SAK with scissors on them as I find them indispensable, so it has to be the Compact. The combo tool is a a huge compromise with Phillips screws but it does work in a pinch. I wish they still made the Yeoman or a Sportsman with scissors.

allenC and Lee D like this.
  8. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2016
    Recruit.
    If you can fail to put the recruit on your list I can fail to choose a model from said list ;)
    Btw I know theres going to many people asking why the cadet didn't make the list yet those two barely popular evo grip models did.

9. Enkrig

Enkrig

Dec 17, 2015
    I choose the compact. Every SAK is a compromise in some way or another, but the compact manages to pack nearly everything I need to cover 99% of cases in only 2 layers. It is a prime example of minimalist and damn near perfection if you ask me!

Lee D likes this.
  10. jds1

jds1

Jun 9, 2007
    The Walker for me. Substituted the toothpick for a Firefly ferro rod and I’m a happy camper!

Jeff

315 likes this.
  11. znapschatz

znapschatz

Jan 24, 2005
    Sportsman. I have two of them, and like the size and the fingernail file, which I prefer to the small blade that I never use. It is stored in the kitchen, where most of it's duties are corkscrew related.

allenC likes this.
  12. allenC

allenC

Jun 18, 2000
    Very good question...and here's the answer:

The lack of tools on the backside of the Recruit and Cadet reduces the functionality and overall usefulness of those SAKs too much IMHO.

After all, why have a Recruit when you can have everything the Recruit has plus the advantages of a corkscrew, micro screwdriver holder, awl, punch, reamer, and sewing needle with the Tourist (or substitute the corkscrew with a phillips driver with the Small Tinker)?

And they stack up nearly identically when it comes to size and weight...

Height is the same.
    Length is the same.
    Weight diffence is 0.1 oz

The Cadet adds a nail file/nail cleaner, but it looses the toothpick and tweezers.

I hope this explains my choices for the poll.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
    Storm 8593, Pomsbz and Grateful like this.
  13. littleknife

littleknife

Nov 29, 2000
    I voted for the Spartan, but I like the Sportsman too.

14. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    Because I often pair my vic with a smal multitool and even when I dont I have found the recruit to be as much as I need.
    For general EDC uses ( hate the corkscrew) the only thing I would want to add to a recruit would be an awl and it surely would not be a T handle awl that's not as useful in daily non wilderness life.
    I would rather have no awl and no Philip's driver than have them on the backside honestly and that's probably why I rarely carry my tinker.

You think the backside tools automatically make a model better, but if you had models like the recruit or cadet on the list the votes just may say otherwise.
    I find the toothpick and tweezers important sure, but I know many people would vote for the cadet which is definitely hard to hate.

15. allenC

allenC

Jun 18, 2000
    It doesn't matter what tools you use or don't use, or like or dislike...two SAKs of equal size and weight, but one with more tools than they other will be more useful and capable overall.

Even if you just ignore the phillips and the awl, the Small Tinker is definitely a more capable SAK than the Recruit because it gives you more tools and can accomplish more tasks.

It's like this...you can have just one: (1) a wooden cube, or (2) a hollow wooden cube, or (3) a hollow wooden cube cut in half with hinges and a clasp (making it in to a box that can open and close), or (3) a hollow wooden cube cut in half with hinges and a clasp and a lock and key (making it in to a box that can open and close and can be locked).

You're picking #2, just a hollow wooden cube.

And if you don't like this answer...you can always make your own poll thread.

16. guy g

guy g Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 22, 2000
    Years ago my wife bought me the spartan at our Curly W drugstore . I made a lace fob for it and it is in my pocket when I'm at home.

allenC likes this.
  17. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    But it does because this is a poll and people are voting on and discussing their favorites based on their opinions and experiences.

If this is really about two layer models you should not have listed what you consider better, just the most common or popular and let the votes tell you what is better.

WhoseWoodsTheseAre likes this.
  18. allenC

allenC

Jun 18, 2000
    Maybe you have been celebrating Cinco de Mayo a little too much perhaps....

I'll try once again...

You have three tool boxes.
    No. 1 has a flat tip screwdriver.
    No. 2 has a flat tip and a phillips screwdriver.
    No. 3 has a flat tip and a phillips screwdriver and some pliars.

Just because you choose not to use phillip screwdrivers or pliars, that doesn't mean that tool box No. 1 is just as useful or capable as tool boxes No. 2 and No. 3.
    It's not.
    It's just the truth.

Look, if you want to carry the Recruit that's fine with me...it's your money.
    But don't think that it is just as useful, and just as capable, of just as many tasks as the Small Tinker or the Tourist.

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  19. Hickory n steel

Feb 11, 2016
    All I'm saying is that this is a poll for people to vote on their " top choice " 2 layer model and you left off two extremely popular and readily available models because you think they're inferior.
    You never said anything about what's actually the best or most efficient

Are you worried that your logic of more inherently means better could be proven wrong when a model like the cadet receives more votes than onevwith more functions like the last two which I doubt have any votes?

20. allenC

allenC

Jun 18, 2000
    No, I did not ask people to vote for their "favorite 2 layer SAK".
    I asked people to pick their favorite from the list I provided.
    Go back and read my initial post...I said:

"From this list, and this list only, your top choice..."

Nowhere in that sentence did I say "choose your favorite 2 layer SAK"

As for me being proven wrong...
    There is no wrong answer to the poll, just as there is no right answer to the poll.
    It's a list and you are being asked to choose one from that list...nothing more and nothing less.

Let's say you go to a bistro...
    The menu offers tomato soup, French onion soup, and vegetable soup.
    You don't ask for potato soup, and then get mad because potato soup isn't on the menu, despite the fact that many people like potato soup.

Hickory n steel, please, just pick one from the menu...or find a different bistro.

Storm 8593 likes this.