Recommendation? 2 Questions for Beckerheads with BK2

Discussion in 'Becker Knife & Tool' started by Apocryphiliac, May 16, 2020.

1. Apocryphiliac

Apocryphiliac Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2017
    I am looking for a good quality leather sheath for a knife that is not a BK2, but has the same blade length, blade height and is .26" thick at the spine. It is a bit of a shorter knife overall (about 8 cm.) due to a shorter handle. What I'm a little concerned about is the circumference around where the scales start just beyond the ricasso.

Edit 2: To be clear, what I'm asking first is, if someone here who has a BK2 can measure this area (the circumference around where the scales start just beyond the ricasso) and let me know what this measurement is.

Also, if you know of a place where a good leather sheath (scout carry) can be had for something around $150 or less... I have probably looked at all of the well-known online retailers who specialize in this item, but all I see are pictures and prices, would like to know from others' experiences, and I'd also like to know if I'm missing someone who might not be so well-known (and in some cases maybe not so pricey).

Thanks!

Edit: added a picture of it in case that helps. It's the one on the left.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  2. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    Are you looking for a BK2 leather sheath to use on said knife? If that's the case try Sagewood Leather.

You can contact them and ask if their BK2 models would accommodate the knife you want a sheath for.

If you want a custom made for it their are several makers on our forums that could help out depending on what type of sheath you want.

Apocryphiliac and Creaky Bones like this.
  3. Apocryphiliac

Jan 18, 2017
    Hi, thanks for your suggestions. Have you owned/used the Sagewood sheath for the BK2 and would you recommend it? Is there someone on the forums in particular you would recommend?

JJ_Colt45 likes this.
  4. JJ_Colt45

JJ_Colt45 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 11, 2014
    I have and do own some Sagewood Sheaths but not for the BK2. I have one for a BK9 I love it. I have one for a CPK FK2 also. If the BK2 sheath would accommodate the knife you have I think you would like the sheath.

As far as makers ... I'm not sure if any make a scout style sheath but they may or maybe could. @duramax has made some good looking sheaths I've seen recently posted in the CPK in leather thread. One looked like it may be very close to what you may want or easily adaptable. You could see if he would build something for your knife.

I don't if know some of the others build scout style sheaths or not but it couldn't hurt to post in the subforum for sheath makers and tell them what you want.

Chad ... @cpirtle makes beautiful sheaths and I bet he could build what you want ... but I think right now he is not getting leather out due to the road bumps this virus has put in front of many of us ... but I imagine he will get back at it when possible.

@Makael does some nice sheaths ... I have one of his for a BK5. He might build you a scout style you could ask anyway.

duramax, Apocryphiliac and 91bravo like this.
  5. Apocryphiliac

Jan 18, 2017
    Cool, thanks again. Chad is actually my guy but he’s on a little hiatus at the moment. I have dealt with Duramax on other matters and he’s a great fella. I actually didn’t realize he did sheaths.

duramax and JJ_Colt45 like this.
  6. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Is your knife exactly the same size and shape as a BK2? If it’s not, why throw up to $150 at it on a hunch that it might fit similarly? Just send your knife to a quality maker and get it fitted.

Very nice knife you got there, by the way.

Lee D, Apocryphiliac and Makael like this.
  7. Apocryphiliac

Jan 18, 2017
    Thank you. Yes, I do agree with you. Again, it is a bit of a shorter knife overall (about 8 cm.) due to a shorter handle, but what I'm a little concerned about is the circumference around where the scales start just beyond the ricasso. Wondering if someone who has a BK2 can measure theirs and let me know what it is.

Mail delivery has been terrible lately, and I'd just rather not send this out because this is a one-of-a-kind knife, but if the ricasso/scale circumference isn't basically within a cm or so, yes I will send it out. My regular guy, though, as I mentioned before, is not taking orders now.

8. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Just from looking at the picture you posted, I’ll take an educated guess and tell you the scales on the BK2 are MUCH larger in the area in question.

Have you ever owned a BK2 or seen one in person? The scales are dumptruck massive with large palm swells and flares toward the blade and pommel.

In other words, if you buy a sheath made for a BK2, I think your knife will rattle around in it at the throat of the sheath.

How did a nice knife like that not come with a nice sheath anyway? I like the looks of the knife a lot. :thumbsup:

Apocryphiliac likes this.
  9. Apocryphiliac

Jan 18, 2017
    I suspect you are right but figured, it can't hurt to ask. I did own a BK2 several years ago and I always liked it and the 9 very well. This one was recently purchased on these forums and came in a Spec-Ops. In terms of the blade, it really feels like a BK2 with custom grindwork. The dimensions are almost identical, but the handle is somewhat of a different matter.

10. Creaky Bones

Creaky Bones Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Circumference around stock scales on my BK2 just behind the ricasso is 5 1/2”

Nice Tusker :)

Tanker 1/66 and Apocryphiliac like this.
  11. Mass1632

Mass1632 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2019
    Im not sure but you might be able to look at sheaths made for the esee 5. Ive never had one but i understand the blade size is very similar to the bk2. The scales near the ricasso on your knife look closer to the esee 5 than the bk2. At least to my eye.

12. Apocryphiliac

Jan 18, 2017
    Thanks bro, exactly what I needed. Good eye!

That is a good point and something I hadn’t considered, thanks!

Creaky Bones likes this.
  13. DDDWho

DDDWho

Aug 21, 2015
    From EBay [​IMG]

14. Eero

Eero

May 6, 2012
    Ooooo....That is a nice Grossman. Top of my knife wish list is a tusker. Is it 3v? Im wondering what happened to the sheath it came with I though all of scott’s knives came with one of his sheaths. But I guess you wanted a scout so id recommend sagewood gear. You would have to send it in though. Grossman’s are hard to come by I understand the nervousness of shipping but I think a knife of this caliber deserves a top notch sheath. Those are build to be used and abused. GL

15. Makael

Makael KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Platinum Member

Oct 17, 2015
    Definitely send your knife in for a perfect fit.

16. bikerector

bikerector KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 16, 2016
    @Apocryphiliac
    This is the guy I was going to recommend but I wasn't sure if he re-upped his craftsman membership, which I now see he did. Makael makes very nice, durable sheaths at what I believe is a very reasonable price. I think I still have 4 of them after including a couple with knife sales over the past year. He made a scout carry/horizontal carry for my ratweiler and it was within the price range you're looking at. I think I'm going on 2-years of having that sheath.

CPirtle is also very good and I have a sheath from him for my other ratweiler and I can give you my impressions/comparisons privately if you want. Both are top-notch sheath makers, IMO, but there are some differences in how they're made and some of the materials, or material choices you can select, that may or may not interest you.

Last I knew, Makael had a BK2 so he may be able to work with you on something that is pretty close to what you're looking for without risking issue with shipping companies.

I'm completely with you on how delayed they have been. For the record, UPS has been the best for me so far and Fedex probably the worst because a few items never arrived. USPS gets the items where they're supposed to go but can be 2-3 times slower than normal. My local distribution center is especially horrible, according to tracking which may not be accurate either. UPS has been good to me except they're a little more expensive most of the time.

17. knoefz

knoefz

Mar 20, 2009
    For leather on any Becker I'd go to @Makael wthout a doubt.
    Beautifyl craftmanship, find some of his work with the search button on the forum.
    He's a Beckerhead himself.
    And he's shown geneousity with GAW's multiple times here on these parts of the forum.

This an example he made for fellow beckerhead @JJ_Colt45 (hope it's ok to repost your pic)
    [​IMG]
    but you can find many more examples of his work on the Becker forums.

18. Apocryphiliac

Jan 18, 2017
    Thanks for the thoughts. This knife started out life as a Big Boar Tusker, but was significantly modded (given a regrind, with a sharpening choil added and handle re-contoured) by Razor Edge Knives. So it's quite a bit different than its original size and may not have fit the original sheath. I bought it used here and it came with a Spec Ops sheath. Nice for pack carry, but not my preferred method of belt carry. It's already earning its place in my user rotation since I got it last week and definitely deserves a sheath that can accommodate it properly. :thumbsup: Oh yeah, and it's in A2 steel.

Obviously other members have mentioned it, but I looked on your Instagram and see you do beautiful work. I'll send you a PM and if you're interested would like to get a quote for this project.

Hi bikerector, and speaking of beautiful work, I have been really admiring your knives lately. Really would love to get one of those 'Merican Puukkos sometime. Thank you for all the great info! Yes, I think I may very well switch to UPS just for peace of mind given how poor the USPS shipments have gone recently.

Going to check that out. Beautiful pic of a beautiful sheath and BK5.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    Xr6x and bikerector like this.
  19. FAL'ER

FAL'ER Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2010
    Oh Gezzus, is that carbon fiber. AHHHHHHHHHHH

20. FAL'ER

FAL'ER Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2010
    What I meant before I lost my damn mind was,

Pardon me sir, Might that be Carbon Fiber?
    if so, where might I look upon it closer and potentially purchase it?

Nate

Tanker 1/66 likes this.