2019/2020 winter kith "I am complete"

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by timos-, Mar 31, 2020.

1. Daniel W

Daniel W

May 1, 2019
    DustinY likes this.
  2. timos-

timos- KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 22, 2012
    Considering the circumstances I think Its ok to wait until you can ship this knife normally. If the recipient would prefer to receive a knife sooner I will send the one I am getting and be fine with waiting for FredyCro's knife. Let me know if thats ok? In anycase we can wait a bit longer until everyone else gets there's and go from there

FredyCro and Hengelo_77 like this.
  3. CallumRD1

CallumRD1

Jan 10, 2020
    Here are some first impressions of Dustin’s knife. First of all it’s a heavy knife, weighing 151g (5.33 ounces) with a 3.7” blade and 7.75” overall length. At the front of the handle the blade is 0.160” thick. The tang is tapered to help with the balance. The balance point is about an eighth of an inch behind the front pin. It’s still a little rear heavy for my tastes, but it’s close. I have fairly large hands and would have preferred the handle to be a little longer. The point at the bottom of the handle butt lies right in the middle of my pinkie finger. Even 1/4” longer would have been enough to vastly improve the fit in my hand.

The fit and finish overall is excellent. The grind is well done, the sanding is very uniform, and the handle very smooth and well shaped. I really like the dark red bolsters. They contrast well with the satin finished steel and faux ivory handle scales. The edge arrived in good shape with what appears to be a fairly high grit finish but it wasn’t quite as sharp as I had expected. A minute on a leather strop with green compound brought it up to a very nice clean edge. (I love how nice of an edge AEB-L can take) The only other comment I have on fit and finish is that I would have eased the edges on the spine. If you rest your thumb on the spine they’re a bit sharp.

Here are some photos for everyone:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. FredyCro

FredyCro

Jan 11, 2019
    Damn, I don't think my finish is nowhere as clean as that.

DustinY likes this.
  5. kdnolin

kdnolin Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 16, 2017
    Got mine shipped! From Canada to USA, supposed to arrive by April 30. I’ll keep an eye on the tracking.

nice looking knives! @DustinY that is a very impressive 2nd knife! Well done.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2020
    Willie71 and DustinY like this.
  6. FredyCro

FredyCro

Jan 11, 2019
    Sounds good, all above is fine with me. I am also in no rush and would prefer the package to arrive rather safe then sooner. Thanks a lot.

DustinY likes this.
  7. DustinY

DustinY KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 29, 2016

Thank you for the write up, all of this will be taken into account moving forward. I appreciate the time you've taken to photograph and write this, it means the world and has made the KITH worth it.

8. CallumRD1

CallumRD1

Jan 10, 2020
    Glad I could help!

DustinY likes this.
  9. Shane Csepp

Shane Csepp Basic Member Basic Member

Oct 21, 2019
    Thanks again!!! Unfortunately I finished that knife before my stencil arrived and I didn't want to take the chance of ruining the finish to apply my new Mark.

kmf600 likes this.
  10. kmf600

kmf600

Jul 2, 2018
    I know, all it takes is a tiny hole in the stencil, or for it to move just a hair, boom, ruined.

Thanks a lot dude, I will make sure it has a good home for a long time.

11. timos-

timos- KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 22, 2012
    I received mine today, Thank you Kevin! I will use it over next couple days and give you some feedback.

DustinY and kmf600 like this.