Important Info! 2019 Forum Knife : Poll Schedule / Content

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by knifeswapper, Feb 24, 2019.

1. Jsega51

Jsega51 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Yessum!

meako, jstrange and Signalprick like this.
  2. metsfan

metsfan Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 26, 2012
    I dig the way both mockups look above as is.

3. willythekid

willythekid Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Hey guys... I’ve been off bladeforums for a while so I just saw the progress of this years knife. I was curious everyone’s feelings on the popularity of the sabre blade. I know most Northwoods come with this style of blade but now GEC seems to be offering more and more of them. I’m really on the fence about them. I know sabre blades have a time and place, usually where a more sturdy blade is needed. But do traditionals really need this? I don’t mean to start any kind of flame fest or anything, I’m genuinely interested in everyone’s opinion. I use my traditionals for light use... cutting fruit at lunch, cutting tape on boxes, cleaning fingernails and the like. I just seems to me that anything a Sabre blade can do on a traditional knife, a full height flat grind could do just a bit better. Like I said, I’m not trying to start anything, just would love to hear some more opinions. Cheers!

sitflyer, Will Power and tmd_87 like this.
  4. gunstockjack

gunstockjack Mid-low tech sexagenarian. Gold Member

May 14, 2011
    Personally, I do not care for sabre grind knives. As others have stated, flat ground blades just cut and slice BETTER. That said, I will likely buy a forum knife anyway, but this may be the last.

5. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    If you have the time you can take a stroll through the polling threads and see a lot of comments about the sabre grind. I think most folks prefer the thinner blade on a traditional pocket knife, but the sabre grind was the only thing GEC was offering, and GEC won the vote for the manufacturer. The consensus since then has been that, while it may not be the preferred blade, it will certainly be unique and still cut things just fine.

6. gaj999

gaj999 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 25, 2004
    Not only a sabre grind, but extra-thick stock as well. Unique for the sake of uniqueness isn't my cup of tea.

willythekid likes this.
  7. biglmbass

biglmbass

Jan 26, 2005
    Sabre grind blades aren't my most favorite but GEC has done a pretty good job of them for the most part. Some of my early sabre grind #12 toothpicks had slow closing blades due to how fat the blade stock was & where the grind started on each side. Minor issue, but still...

Regardless this is shaping up to be a fine looking forum knife & I'll certainly pick one up.

meako and Sabercat like this.
  8. Ernie1980

Ernie1980 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2012
    I am going to go back a page and talk about the EO notch... that is a no go for me on this knife. If someone wants a notch it can be added but you can’t do it the other way around!

meako and JTB_5 like this.
  9. Kiteman72

Kiteman72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 22, 2015
    Have no fear, Mike has said that there will be no EO notch.

I want to go back to when I suggested we do a pin/button with this year's knife! :)

A sweet exclusive club badge with a @meako back label would be a real winner!

tmd_87 and Prester John like this.
  10. traumkommode

traumkommode Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    I'm in the "No Saber Grinds Now", camp, too - notwithstanding the cutting ability, it's already a unique blade shape that isn't being offered on the standard run of clip mains, so why does it have to have a saber grind to make it more unique?... But, the difference in cutting ability will end up being fairly negligible for most people. If you're Bill Howard, you get to say, "I want to do this, and this is your option". And it'll be a fine knife indeed.

JTB_5, akaMatt and Prester John like this.
  11. JoKr

JoKr Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 20, 2017
    #METOO. cant see the need of a saber grind blade shape.

12. Jsega51

Jsega51 Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    I think people are grasping at straws with the blade stock. “Extra thick” is deceiving. Thicker stock, which this knife will have vs the typical GEC blade stock, doesn’t mean it’ll be 1/4”.

This knife is based off a jumbo jack type pattern which, gasp, had thicker stock than smaller jacks of the same pattern. Ohhhh the horror!!

By the way, the regular run knives will have thicker stock as well.

13. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    I wonder if any of the regular run 86 knives will have a saber grind. That could be telling in the sense that GEC might already have made plans to do it on this run.

14. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    I think so

15. DelOro

DelOro

Jan 17, 2016
    The BF blades could also be an add-on (amount) to a planned Northwoods SFO run?

TOM K. likes this.
  16. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    This is not word for word, Mike said nothing added on that will involve a poll or additional factory work. No EO notch, and would assume no bails, lanyard holes etc...

17. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 5, 2014
    i believe the sabre grind is exclusive to the forum 86.

18. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    If I recall correctly they aren't supposed to. I think you can see on the GEC regular run mock ups they are ffg.

19. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    If I recall correctly there was a post stating the blade is exclusive to us.

20. jstrange

jstrange

Mar 31, 2012
    Well that sucks. I don’t care about the EO Mitch, but was really hoping for a bail or tube. I may just have to pass on this one.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2019
    abbydaddy likes this.