Important Info! 2019 Forum Knife : Poll Schedule / Content

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by knifeswapper, Feb 24, 2019.

1. MerryMadMonk

MerryMadMonk Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 22, 2011
    Nevermind

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    meako, Fodderwing, TOM K. and 14 others like this.
  2. Modoc ED

Modoc ED Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Very, very nice Al. And a big thumbs up :thumbsup: for the full flat grind!!!! Thanks for posting that. @waynorth should like it too.

mykel m, sitflyer and MerryMadMonk like this.
  3. Will Power

Will Power Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Great work! I like that grind too-right for the blade, right for the pattern ;):cool:

Very useful item for the shields, all suit (can't understand WHY some people are drawn to a Star shield though, probably difficult to inlay and looks cheap in my experience;):rolleyes:) Bowtie, Propeller or even Banner would be my top choices.

Thanks, Will

meako, mykel m, sitflyer and 2 others like this.
  4. BuckShack

BuckShack Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 19, 2015
    I'd like to see what a lightning bolt shield looks like. Probably not bad. That would be different.

Agent Orange Peel likes this.
  5. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Thanks for these! I like the Bomb and the Crest the best of these pictures. If you have the time, you ought to go through the other shields (or at least, from my selfish perspective, the Star!).

Prester John and MerryMadMonk like this.
  6. jwsnyder

jwsnyder

Jul 16, 2018
    Have been out of the forum loop for a bit, and glad I made my way back in time for the forum knife. Single sheepsfoot blades? Yes please. Thanks all for their work on this.

7. MerryMadMonk

May 22, 2011
    Well, we can't have wavy Spam, Ed. You're welcome.

mykel m likes this.
  8. Signalprick

Signalprick Jason Ritchie - Ritchie Handmade Knives Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2009
    Cool mock up! I probably missed the post where it stated this but this knife will be single blade, sheepfoot, barehead? @knifeswapper? I guess I did see where we can vote for barehead or not but yes to the rest? For some reason I was thinking this was a clip blade. Doesn't matter to me personally just wanted to clarify.

9. MerryMadMonk

May 22, 2011
    Joshua, I'll post the rest later today. Thanks.

JTB_5 likes this.
  10. Buzzbait

Buzzbait

Feb 25, 2001
    Great mock-ups!!! I really dig both the bomb and the crest.

mykel m, JTB_5 and Signalprick like this.
  11. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    Star, and don't forget the Diamond :)

JTB_5 and Signalprick like this.
  12. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Yes, a single sheepfoot blade. It's mentioned in the first poll, along with an image.

13. Chief

Chief Chief Master Sergeant USAF (ret) 1975-2000 Platinum Member

Nov 15, 1998
    Thanks Mike @knifeswapper for taking on this zero profit task. However, am very disappointed in the blade style, was there a poll for that or did GEC tell us to "buy it and like it"? Is 440C an option? A clip blade in 440C with antique amber scales would be a winner.

Will probably buy one no matter the final product, and give it away. Sorry but a single sheepfoot blade doesn't have enough point for my main knife needs.

Will Power, mykel m, gaj999 and 2 others like this.
  14. Signalprick

Signalprick Jason Ritchie - Ritchie Handmade Knives Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2009
    Man, I am blind as a bat. I still don't see that info in the first poll thread but thank you for the info regardless Gary.

15. Gary W. Graley

Gary W. Graley “Imagination is more important than knowledge" Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Mar 2, 1999
    It was 'the' choice for GEC and then two other maker types, the GEC won out, but it was decided? that it would have to be a sheepsfoot, I guess that was never up for discussion, just some turmoil over being seen as a saber ground blade.
    G2

I think Al's rendition of shields may lead people astray thinking the blade is going to be a full flat ground blade??? Maybe it will get that across that a lot of folks would like a full flat ground blade, unless you do need to baton some link-n-logs for your kids ;) I'd certainly prefer the full flat ground blade myself.

btb01, mykel m, gaj999 and 1 other person like this.
  16. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    They didn't say, "Buy it and like it." They offered it as choice against the other offerings from other companies. It was then "approved" by popular vote over the other options. So ya, we basically voted for it knowing it would be a saber grind, sheepsfoot, in 1095 Carbon. Seems like a done deal, I hope we can all move past it. I, for one, enjoy the uniqueness of the blade.

meako, abbydaddy, cigarrodog and 6 others like this.
  17. knifeswapper

knifeswapper Knife Peddler Dealer / Materials Provider

Sep 3, 2004
    GEC submitted a #86 Sheepfoot with a mock-up picture showing the frame / blade itself. This is a knife they could accomplish during a packed schedule without additional design / tooling delays that the felt could be kept unique to the forum and in line with today's stylistic demands.
    The forum chose it.

This is the "First Poll" thread; it is fairly obtrusive there when you start perusing the thread.

18. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Very nice renderings, Al, but I must say that going on and on about the full flat grind when we know it won't be is counter-productive. I favor the Orleans shield, but flipped so the small end is at the small end of the frame.

Orleans.jpg

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
  19. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Jinx.

Buzzbait likes this.
  20. Prester John

Prester John Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    Wavy Spam is good for dipping.

mykel m, Ramrodmb, cigarrodog and 2 others like this.