Important Info! 2019 Forum Knife : Poll Schedule / Content

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by knifeswapper, Feb 24, 2019.

1. gaj999

gaj999 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 25, 2004
    Thanks. Fortunately, I'm retired and my time is worth nothing. At least if I'm learning something. :)

meako likes this.
  2. knifeswapper

knifeswapper Knife Peddler Dealer / Materials Provider

Sep 3, 2004
    A Northfield trim vote is for cut swedge, lined bolster, and long pull.

JohnDF, meako and Prester John like this.
  3. MerryMadMonk

MerryMadMonk Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 22, 2011
    So how did we get from "A GEC 86 with a single Sheepsfoot blade in 1095" in the first poll to "Decided: Single Sabre Sheepfoot on #86 frame"?

I know Mike eventually added a drawing from GEC depicting Sabre ground, but it certainly was not made clear that Sabre ground was the only option.

So did GEC decide? Did Mike decide? I don't think anything but the 86 frame was voted on by us forumites. There was a lot of discussion, but we never voted for a specific blade grind.

Not trying to be counter-productive, but at this point I would certainly like some clarification.

FLymon, sitflyer and Will Power like this.
  4. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Thank you, Mike (@knifeswapper), for being willing and able to take this one for all of us. Please don't lose too many hairs over it all...

I am looking forward to the short polling periods and seeing how this project evolves. I am not entirely certain why folks are still caught on the blade shape and grind. I know we all have our preferences and Odin knows we have our opinions but I never was under the impression that the blade was negotiable. Much like the blade on the Buck 192 offering, it was THE offering from one of the very few companies willing to throw their name in the hat and the majority voted for it. However, it could certainly be argued that the Buck option was quite popular and there is certainly a part of me that laments that we will not get to build our own special 192.

Regardless, I like knives and I like many different makes, styles, and manufacturers. I don't need the forum knife to fill any sort of "niche". What I do want is to end up with a nice knife that I can say I had a hand in the production of and be proud of it. Many votes did not go my way for last year's knife but it is still a knife that I am pleased and quite proud to own and I expect that this year's knife will be no different in that regard.

5. Rookie82

Rookie82 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 25, 2014
    I believe it was around Page 20 something of the original poll thread, where it was mentioned that the 86 frame, the sheepsfoot blade, and the saber grind, was what was offered by GEC for this years knife. Those were not options to be polled on.

mitch4ging and BigKurtHaze like this.
  6. MerryMadMonk

May 22, 2011
    There's nothing in that original thread stating sabre grind was the only option. Just the GEC drawing with sabre grind. On the other hand, there is a lot of discussion about sabre/full flat ground without anyone stating that the full flat ground was not an option.

Doesn't really matter to me which one, but I don't appreciate being accused of being counter-productive.

Will Power and Signalprick like this.
  7. knifeswapper

Sep 3, 2004
    Actually, the original poll had a picture after 2 days and the original option text was "A GEC 86 with a single Sheepsfoot blade in 1095.
    This 86 configuration would be exclusive to the BladeForums 2019 knife. Covers, shield, and bolsters to be determined in future polls."

The #86 was designed as a "Heavy Jack"; thus the blades will all be different stock than standard. Therefore, Bill designed a heavy Sheepfoot, and sent a picture of his proposal.

cigarrodog, mitch4ging, Jak3 and 4 others like this.
  8. MerryMadMonk

May 22, 2011
    And so during all that discussion after the GEC drawing was posted, did you or anyone else weigh in and state that sabre grind was the only option? And are you saying now that sabre grind is the only option? Just want clarification. Again, it's fine with me either way.

Will Power and sitflyer like this.
  9. knifeswapper

Sep 3, 2004
    After a mock picture was posted that offered no variance from the blade pictured, did I use the word sabre repeatedly? I don't know, not going to dig thru a 50 page thread to look.

Is that the only option before you? Yes.

cigarrodog, mitch4ging, meako and 2 others like this.
  10. MerryMadMonk

May 22, 2011
    Thanks for the clarification. And no need to dig thru a 50 page thread. The search function is a beautiful thing. For the record, you never used the word "sabre" in that thread. ;)

11. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    It was made apparent very early on that the GEC offering would have a saber ground sheepsfoot blade. Plenty of time for people to change their votes to another knife option. Since GEC won, I assume that the majority are happy with the saber grind.

I have a feeling that Bill had a vision for this knife and I'm thrilled we are going to be part of the final design process.

12. MerryMadMonk

May 22, 2011
    John, I'm fine with the sabre ground blade. But it wasn't made apparent to all of us and that is evidenced by the discussion in that thread.

Jak3 likes this.
  13. knifeswapper

Sep 3, 2004
    Too bad the search doesn't work on images - it was on the front page, huge, and a sabre ;)
    Guess I could have shown a picture of a Lady's Leg and then broke down each thing about the picture that wouldn't be in the forum knife :D

gotgoat, cigarrodog, btb01 and 4 others like this.
  14. Will Power

Will Power Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 18, 2007
    Well, the GEC won, but I suspect there would have been even greater enthusiasm for it if blade type and or grind had been based on voting as well....;)

As it it is/ always was/will be Sabre...we must now ponder the aesthetic details to the end.

15. Signalprick

Signalprick Jason Ritchie - Ritchie Handmade Knives Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2009
    Too many threads already. Missed it too. What can we get chippy about next?

cigarrodog and BigKurtHaze like this.
  16. knifeswapper

Sep 3, 2004
    I completely understand that we would like to have many polls and build the knife from the ground up. But that wasn't offered to us by a company that was being as accommodating as they could. I am now learning probably because they have been involved before in the process and realized just how much time it could consume if not self-regulated a little. I also now understand why those involved in the GEC offering in the past wanted to sit out a couple years. This was not some type of eBay auction where one had to read very closely what was NOT said to figure out what you were getting. The image is right up front. Now I realize there are also those that knowing full well what was presented offered alternatives and desired aspects all throughout the conversation. But I don't feel that someone needed to chime in every few post like the Soup Nazi on Seinfeld - "No FLAT GRIND for you". If someone wants to express an opinion or desire, that is fine. But if someone is looking at a picture presented by the factory and the things that will be flexible and wants to read into it that the factory was going to let us build their sheepfoot for this particular knife - my apologies.

btb01, cigarrodog, mitch4ging and 5 others like this.
  17. Jim (OHIO)

Jim (OHIO)

Feb 1, 2018
    Too many options!!

Jim

18. traumkommode

traumkommode Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 3, 2015
    I've done enough whining about the high saber ground blade, now for some praise - It'll be a heavy duty utility blade for sure, and with Northfield trim, it'll still have sparkle and flash that makes it classy. Even with heavier stock, I doubt Bill will go higher than 1/8" (although I could be wrong, and Mike please correct and chide me hilariously with that dry'n'wry Oklahoma snap if I am), and even at 1/8", GEC will grind them thin enough behind the edge that they'll cut nicely and take a thumpin'. Heck, plenty of people use 1/8" and thicker blades (looking at modern folders) with stupidly, obscenely thick grinds on them, without complaint about their cutting. All the non-knife-nuts I've known to handle my slip joints were most enthralled with the heavy-feeling knives anyway, as the heft somehow suggests confident quality.

19. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    My biggest frustration right now is that one of the main complaints that began last year and has carried on into the current one is that GEC would not or could not offer us anything special. Whether that comes from them offering us only a 14 last year because of how late in the schedule it ended up being or because of whatever the current perceptions are, the displeasure was voiced loudly and often.

But now that GEC has offered us something that they have not offered anyone else and will prove to be quite a unique knife, something Bill himself designed on a newly offered pattern, all I am hearing is complaints because it won't be enough like knives they have made in the past.

I don't get it. It just goes to show that you truly can't win in these things, I just hope the parties involved in seeing this to fruition don't take any of it personally. It is going to be a fine knife, one that possibly won't be made ever again.

20. H2O2HI

H2O2HI

Jul 23, 2016
    LOL
    Mike, don’t take this guff seriously. I’ll continue to be your grateful customer. In the case of BF knives, I always encourage a dictatorship, certainly not democracy. You deserve a hero medal!
    Joseph