2019 GEC 29 Humpback/Stockyard Whittler Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by waverave, Jun 21, 2019.

1. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    It may be a long wait for that one.

2. 4thpoint

4thpoint

Sep 28, 2015
    I like that acrylic pattern a lot. It reminds me of a Dirty Skunk instead of grits.

3. lambertiana

lambertiana Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 7, 2000
    I really like the pattern and blade selection, but I wasn't quite sure about the scale choices. Way back when they used the lava lamp acrylic I wanted to get one but was too late to the party. When I saw how the GBM acrylic on this one turned out, the decision was made. I got a good one.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Mayonardo

Mayonardo Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 28, 2010
    No, use the punch like this:

[​IMG]

5. jlhoffman74

jlhoffman74

Nov 30, 2014
    Mail call on Thursday, and its bittersweet. This is the first GEC I received that the main blade spring was completely limp. I mean NO snap on the opening, it snapped shut closing alright not great, but alright. I have read some other posts about this so I was expecting it, but compared to my other GEC's this was an extreme. I absolutely LOVE the Osage Orange covers. After a spa treatment of dish soap, and mineral oil bath, it has improved some to the point where I have changed my mind about returning it. There was a little grit and gunk in the main blade pivot. Its about a lazy 3 now, and both secondary blades are spot on with the walk and talk (5-6). I do love this knife and three blade GEC's are my favorite because the #79 Montana Whittler is still the finest knife that GEC has ever made IMO, I covet the few that I have and always looking for others.
    I started out using this to make some apple crisp, peeling and cutting about two dozen apples and it started to patina the blade and covers. I love when Osage Orange starts to age from the oils in your hands and the the elements. It turns a golden honey color and has a soft velvety touch. I was going to purchase a Maher and Grosh or Northfield but for the price I will be holding off to see if the lazy blade spring improves at all with the newer ones released.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  6. Mayonardo

Oct 28, 2010
    I suggest you keep that knife for a long while. It appears that the action on the main blade is due to some foreign matter in the pivot and maybe the spring which you are addressing. I would say mine a GMB is about a 4. I’m terrible at pull/snap ratings so I will just say it snaps and is firm enough for me. Compared to my 44 is is not as “snappy”, but I don’t care for strong snaps and pulls.

Yours is such a fine example (it’s made me change my mind about Osage Orange) and the 29 such an excellent design I would send it back to GEC for a fix before I’d sell it.

Good luck with your decision.

neal70 likes this.
  7. jlhoffman74

jlhoffman74

Nov 30, 2014
    This knife isn't going anywhere, and thanks for the kind words. I love GEC three bladed knives, but I have handled alot of GEC's, and I like a solid walk and talk and pull. My 44 was perfect, both blades were a 5-6 with a "click, clap, snappity clack" talk. I will be following this thread closely to see how others are. Please keep posting pics!

Mayonardo, Dschal and JohnDF like this.
  8. Augie

Augie Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 23, 2014
    I like this pattern a lot, it's not perfect, the main blade could have better walk and talk but tends to improve with oiling and use. I'm going to end up with quite a few of these after the M&G's and Northfields.

IMG_0644.jpg IMG_0646.jpg IMG_0649.jpg IMG_0652.jpg IMG_0656.jpg

9. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    I do like the pattern, and normally I'm a big fan of the acrylics. But being a dyed in the wool butter & molasses fan, I can't get used to all the clear/white in this GB&M version. I'm waiting for the coffeehouse.

neal70, willc, JohnDF and 1 other person like this.
  10. Ian80

Ian80 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 12, 2013
    I really like my new 29 in Osage. It’s my first GEC and it has a great overall quality to it. I’ve used it just for some light duty stuff and it works great!

neal70, pmek5 and BuckShack like this.
  11. neal70

neal70

Jun 3, 2015
    I wonder if anyone has a 57 they could compare these in size with?
    Thanks, Neal

12. L.H.S

L.H.S

Jan 1, 2013
    It's got more than one etch. I forget what the main etch is exactly, something to do with it being a Maher and Grosh. The spey has a "flesh only" etch. The factory actually forgot that etch and they had to take them back during the Rendezvous to add it.

neal70 likes this.
  13. SnailOffTheTrail

SnailOffTheTrail

Aug 25, 2018
    I am starting to feel very grateful that I live in Europe and importing GEC's beauties is so difficult and expensive. I did not like #29s at all on the mockup. Even less when I learned they'd be 3-springed. But now, seeing all those pictures...man, am I tempted!

How do you guys in USA stay afloat with that availability of sweet knives? Noodles? I would be homeless in no time. Happy camper with plastic bags full of tubes.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2019
    Don W, Ratbert, knifethetank and 6 others like this.
  14. Boxer .45

Boxer .45

Jan 11, 2015
    Theres a company in Germany about to get an SFO in burlap. Something and Gents.

Edit: I think thats a 92 nevermind. But it is a GEC. Call and see if they're taking reservations.

neal70 likes this.
  15. SnailOffTheTrail

SnailOffTheTrail

Aug 25, 2018
    Nah, #92 leaves me cold (unless it is tidioute wharncliffe talon)...just like any GEC knife when it is announced.

Later I keep banging my head for not pulling the trigger. I remember pondering whether or not to buy beer scout ... idiot.

neal70 likes this.
  16. willard0341

willard0341 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2013
    How accessible is the nail nick? I keep my finger nails short. Is it one of those you got to hold your tongue a certain way and really dig for it? I get home on the 28th and will find out then.... just wanted a heads up.

17. Ian80

Ian80 Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 12, 2013
    No problem at all for me, I just trimmed my nails as well.

willard0341 likes this.
  18. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Autumn Gold. Burnt Sienna. Whatever. Shut up and take my money.
    [​IMG]

19. pmek5

pmek5 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 27, 2007
    #29 & Winchester #3409 whittler thickness comparison. #29 is thinner than his relative.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Mayonardo

Oct 28, 2010
    It is fine. Chemotherapy has trashed most of my fingernails but I have no trouble with any of the three blades even though the awl/punch and sheepfoot nicks are very low.

Crazy Canuck, willard0341 and neal70 like this.