1. Our COVID-19 response can be found here

2019 GEC 86 Oil Field Jack and Forum Knife Picture Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by waverave, Aug 20, 2019.

1. SteveC

SteveC Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 13, 2017

Very sad to say that we lost Dean to cancer on Jan 13th :(

RIP buddy you will be missed !

Dschal and bax229 like this.
  2. knowtracks

knowtracks Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 16, 2006
    :(RIP

SteveC likes this.
  3. SVTFreak

SVTFreak Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Aww man. Cancer sucks.
    Prayers for him and his family.

tmd_87 and SteveC like this.
  4. coolhand68

coolhand68 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2006
    IMG_0040.jpg

5. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
  6. Signalprick

Signalprick Jason Ritchie Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Apr 3, 2009
    Absolutely! I assume you mean from the pic with all 3 knives? It started life as an autumn gold jigged bone NF #86. I deleted the coping blade and rear bolsters. Recoverd it in brown canvas micarta and pinned badge shield. In short, it's my perfect version of the OFJ #86. :D

7. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Well, that is flat out amazing work. I simply assumed it was another shop's SFO I hadn't yet seen.

8. Signalprick

Apr 3, 2009
    Thank you very much! I did a Tidioute version for a client almost exactly the same except it had a better quality micarta that I am jealous of and I have another in the works for another client. His will have the top shelf brown canvas as well. :D

mrknife, Quiet and HEMI 49 like this.
  9. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Sorry to hear this Steve, I didn't know/converse with Dean but enjoyed his presence here, he will be missed. Prayers for he and his family.

knowtracks and SteveC like this.
  10. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb

Jun 9, 2010
    That seems akin to flipping it for a large profit, since the Damascus are/were so much more expensive.

11. Peregrin

Peregrin Traditional Forum Moderator Moderator Gold Member

Sep 2, 2004
    I'm not sure how I missed this. My sincere condolences to his family and friends. He'll be missed.

12. MerryMadMonk

MerryMadMonk Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 22, 2011
    Just saw this about Dean, too. Thanks for letting us know, Steve. Prayers and condolences for his family. I always enjoyed his posts and will miss his contributions.

13. mrknife

mrknife Gold Member Gold Member

May 9, 2010
    well people keep offering it, but im not sure if its a straight trade or plus cash

Ramrodmb likes this.
  14. ArchiveMoto

ArchiveMoto

Dec 6, 2017
    My 86 roundup, one needs a bit of surgery, and I would like to add a single blade modded oil sucker to the bunch, but for a run I had no interest in these 86’s have cost me a lot of scratch and haven't left my pocket yet. The 86 is a hefty gem!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. jsdistin

jsdistin KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 27, 2016
    Those are some nice ones, I gotta get mine out for a pic again, there were some changes in the line up and I haven’t had them all out since.

ArchiveMoto likes this.
  16. Signalprick

Apr 3, 2009
    That's a solid group there. I sent my damascus Lone Star in for warranty work. Had a bad off center blade and excessive blade play. I have no doubt it'll come back perfect.

tmd_87 and ArchiveMoto like this.
  17. jsdistin

jsdistin KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

May 27, 2016
    Both mine had blade play, seems like it’s maybe something with the etching of the Damascus.

ArchiveMoto likes this.
  18. Signalprick

Apr 3, 2009
    Possibly? Mine was way off center to the pile side too. Not quite rubbing but real close. The play wasn't crazy really though.

jsdistin likes this.
  19. ArchiveMoto

ArchiveMoto

Dec 6, 2017
    My damascus is one of the most solid knives I have, part of the reason Ive carried it so much lately, super tight and vault like action. The white bone however is overly tight at the bolster, almost no independent or unmotivated movement, and the tang has some deep scratches from the tightness, i figured Id break it in though.

jsdistin likes this.
  20. jsdistin

May 27, 2016
    The play in mine wasn’t terrible either and I took it out of both. The pine wood one is off center looking in on direction but nearly centered in the other, I think I was able to get it in a picture, but it’s the oddest thing. Tell you what though if you have to have problems these are the ones to have.
    F4C2B64C-5E03-4B70-8D25-AABF446091B2.jpeg 12AD52DC-AF41-4BEB-AD00-B0E19915A064.jpeg