1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

2019 GEC 92 Eureka Jack

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by GE Jr, Aug 19, 2019.

1. Jarhead Greasemonkey

Jarhead Greasemonkey Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 4, 2015
    OD micarta inbound...

Along with a friend from another forum, I blame you guys!

Will be my first traditional knife since I was a kid.

I said FIRST because I'm not stupid and I know how this game works...

:D

2. Travman

Travman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2016
    @L.H.S, no blade rap so far with mine and I have let it close normally several times.

L.H.S likes this.
  3. mrknife

mrknife Gold Member Gold Member

May 9, 2010
    sure, can do!

L.H.S likes this.
  4. Bugs57

Bugs57 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 3, 2016
    What exactly is "blade rap"? New to slip joints and any info on potential issues and what to look for would be appreciated.

5. Travman

Travman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2016
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. wardcleaver

wardcleaver Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Apr 17, 2017
    It's when the blade hits the spring on the inside of the knife when closing, and puts a nick in the edge.

Bugs57 and Travman like this.
  7. mrknife

May 9, 2010
    its when the edge of the blade sort of rolls on it self or dents because it is hitting the spring. This can happen when the blade is deliberately snapped into the well which i found out the hard way as I had a knife where the edge kept rolling when I closed it several times. Can be sharpened out.

Bugs57 likes this.
  8. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    @Travman thanks, good to hear. I’ve had it with blade rap.

@mrknife thanks!

mrknife and Travman like this.
  9. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Quit filing your kicks.

10. L.H.S

Jan 1, 2013
    Nah. Shouldn’t have to choose between the tip poking you or the edge hitting the backspring. Anyway, it’d be ridiculous to suggest no GECs come from the factory with blade rap. (Anyway, it’s not only GECs that have me fed up with blade rap)

mrknife and Travman like this.
  11. knifeswapper

knifeswapper Knife Peddler Dealer / Materials Provider

Sep 3, 2004
    I agree, every company should fix this issue just like Case did....
    [​IMG]
    (borrowed picture)

Cut them blades down so there is no chance of rap.

blademan 13, L.H.S, shadowram and 3 others like this.
  12. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
    I respectfully disagree, it's a cutting tool not a noise maker, close your knife instead of snapping it there will be no blade wrap. For some reason the snap of the blade is a sign of "quality " and maybe it is however it is also a violent way to treat your tool. Most of the user crowd on here talks about putting their own "edge" on a knife when they get it anyway, so it should not be a problem with getting rid of blade wrap when and if it happens. The collecting crowd should be taken care of their knife like the "queen" they want it to be. Just my opinion it's really non issue in my mind.

HEMI 49, Jolipapa and JohnDF like this.
  13. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    For some reason your pic did not come through? I was curious to see the "fix" that Case did...
    I don't really have much of a dog in this fight, because I seldom "slam" my knives closed. I've seen rap on one of my knives... I think it's my Buck 110, but I'll have to go back and check.

edit: I also just checked my Elderberry 92, and saw no blade rap marks at all. I haven't looked at my OD green 92's.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
  14. knifeswapper

Sep 3, 2004
    You only disagree with the words, not the intent ;)

My point was that the factory could trim your blade down about 20% for you, so that rap would never be an issue. Which is what I feel Case did in the late 1990's. The 88 went from big nice robust blades, down to these little toothpicks.

I like letting a blade fall. My nails get eat up enough opening, I don't need them getting eat up closing too. But I agree with you - if it is a safe queen and a pattern that is known for an over-ratio blade, ease it down; if is a user, sharpen it out; that is how the factory fixes it.

willc, HEMI 49, shadowram and 6 others like this.
  15. sXePhenomenal

sXePhenomenal Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2018
    The Burlap micarta and badge shield are next interested to see those

Jarhead Greasemonkey likes this.
  16. mrknife

May 9, 2010
    Interestingly that is my issue with Case knives, they always have blades that are small and are off blade to ratio wise.

blademan 13 and Travman like this.
  17. Duper

Duper Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 5, 2016
    Hmmm, I wondered why my recently acquired Case gunstock had such seemingly small blades for a full size knife. Now I know. Thanks Knifeswapper!

,,,Mike in Canada

18. knifeswapper

Sep 3, 2004
    But they don't rap!! I forgot about the Gunstock - they changed it about the same time.

19. L.H.S

Jan 1, 2013
    Well let's not be hasty! haha I know that it's not a cut and dry issue. I know that I am overly sensitive about proud tips. I know that I have to be careful about filing the kicks, but it is what Chris/Bill have recommended on more than one occasion when I said that I thought a tip was too proud (for me).

Like I've said, I have lots of GECs that don't have blade rap. I also have had Cases that had blade rap.

I am certainly not criticizing GEC in general. I mean, if anything I'm a GEC "fanboy", I just try to be up front about stuff. I didn't mean to rile anybody up!

(and that's not directed at anybody in particular, I know you were joking around @knifeswapper )

JohnDF likes this.
  20. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    I just got my beautiful TSA Calico Bone #94

[​IMG]