2020 GEC #23 Trapper Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by bax229, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Morrow7x

Morrow7x

Feb 10, 2019
    Just a cherry Tidioute, but I like it more than I thought I would when I first received it. It's certainly a solid chunk of traditional pocket knife! As some have mentioned, the pulls are starting to mellow out. Now just a 10 and 11...:D Nah, they're becoming noticeably better. I like summer- my cargo shorts have pockets for things like this. In the winter it's pretty much a Pemberton in the jeans watch pocket or a (gasp!) Spyderco...;)

[​IMG]

tmd_87, Spaten, meako and 5 others like this.
  2. Scott J.

Scott J. Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 8, 2019
    Got mine today and I like everything about it except the main blade rubs the center liner.
    I'm going to use it as I do all my knives so that shouldn't be a problem so long as I can keep my OCD under control.
    Beautiful knife and not nearly as unwieldy as I expected in my pocket.
    The pull is heavy, but no so much as to inhibit usage. I guess I'd call it an 8 on the pull. I'm sure at some point I'll give it a proper photo shoot, it really is pretty.[​IMG]

3. knifeswapper

knifeswapper Knife Peddler Dealer / Materials Provider

Sep 3, 2004
    There should be an optional check box when ordering - Eliminate Possibility of Rap []
    Check the box, dealer puts the blade on the grinder for another 1/16".

Case, and others, have solved it by delivering way over-ground blades; GEC should probably consider that as well.

[​IMG]

JTB_5, Prester John, khopesh and 12 others like this.
  4. Travman

Travman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2016
    Mike has an excellent point. I was struggling with a spot of blade rap on a Madison Barlow a few years back. I kept sharpening the knife on my Spyderco Sharpmaker and the blade rap kept coming back. I was getting a little frustrated. Then Mike made this same point in regards to GEC blades vs Case blades. It may have been in this same thread. I looked at the nice full blade on that Madison Barlow. Then I looked at that tiny little spot of blade rap and stopped obsessing. The knife was gorgeous. I’d rather have the full blade.

I sharpened the Barlow a few months latter and that was enough to get rid of the rap. I had been too conservative in my earlier sharpenings.

5. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    My antique autumn is taking a couple extra days to get here. Currently, it's on a tour of the Bay Area of California. :cool:o_O

6. Scott J.

Jun 8, 2019
    I hate the wait.
    But, I think you'll be happy when it gets there.

tmd_87 likes this.
  7. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    My LL single blade isnt even made yet by the look of things.

8. nyrico

nyrico Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Man, I had promised myself that I would not get a 2 blade 23 as I already have an older one and one is all I need. Then they released the red tail variant and I folded. I can't wait for the single blades, those will hurt my wallet.

9. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    It may have been mentioned before, but it looks like the liner lock micartas are going to have the same shield that the two blade trapper micartas have. I'm happy to see that.

meako, Onearmbladenut and hopsbreath like this.
  10. Onearmbladenut

Onearmbladenut Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jul 19, 2018
    I looked at some dealer photos. That brown jigged bone/red-tail jigged bone looks more like Burnt Sierra jigged bone to me. I found some with smooth edges and the Burnt Sierra color popped right out.

11. Onearmbladenut

Jul 19, 2018
    I e-mailed my GEC dealer as soon as I spotted the GEC#33 Conductor . I do like Stag without the shield. I need to see the bone , before I pull the trigger. Smooth Natural bone would be my prediction on this one. Remember the #86 last year , get in trouble release the Smooth Natural Bone.

12. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Bummer... I guess I'll live with it. :(

13. Onearmbladenut

Jul 19, 2018
    I liked the first GEC#23 Tidioute Woodland micarta drawing with "Hounds Tooth" shield. I love the change of the darker Woodland micarta color. The "badge" shield threw me way off. When I receive my first #23LL Woodland micarta knife , it won't matter what the shield is in my pocket.

hopsbreath likes this.
  14. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    I'm really anxious to see Mike Latham's SFO in mesquite. I'm betting it will be the clear winner in the liner lock race. If my "notify me" reserve comes through, I'll end up with 3 liner locks. That should be enough.

meako, JonMcD, tmd_87 and 1 other person like this.
  15. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    My Red Tail Trapper is on its way, I can't wait to see that color in person!

16. Scott J.

Jun 8, 2019
    Ok, maybe you guys were right about the pull being just a little on the heavy side.
    But I ain't backin' down.[​IMG]

17. rdave

rdave Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 13, 2013
  18. BuckShack

BuckShack Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 19, 2015
    thepapercut, Scott J. and hughd like this.
  19. Onearmbladenut

Jul 19, 2018
    Go treat yourself to a CASE XX blade pick. GEC tube poppers don't work as well. Take a rag cloth and wrap around the blade. Work that blade back and forth a thousand times. Repeat if necessary , you got to break in those users.

Scott J. likes this.
  20. blanco112

blanco112 Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 1, 2016
    So with the news of the day can we still expect the Mesquite SFO from CK or is that off the table now?