2020 GEC #23 Trapper Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by bax229, Feb 28, 2020.

1. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    I think if GEC hired you to do their photos, their sales would go up (if that's possible). :cool::thumbsup:

I like him already. :cool::thumbsup:

tmd_87, Travman, BigKurtHaze and 4 others like this.
  2. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
    Thank you for the nice words, my friend.:)

JohnDF likes this.
  3. Rockon75

Rockon75 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 8, 2008
    I'm not one of the haters, believe me. It looks to be my favorite of the run. Just trying to figure out the name, which can be like solving the NYT's weekend crossword puzzle. Definitely a challenge ;)

4. JustinR

JustinR Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2008
    Does anyone know if the red tail bone with the bullet shield will also be done as a single blade liner lock?

5. nyrico

nyrico Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2012
    I was wondering the same thing. If my eyes serve me, the 2 blade was called out in the same way as the single liner lock on the production schedule " Brown Jigged Bone" with shield to be determined. The 2 blade does additionally state 'brownish" in quotes. Fingers crossed it is, I like the 2 blade red tail and would like the single even more. It could be worse, remember the "Hemlock green jigged bone" 66's , that was a surprise.

JustinR, tmd_87 and Travman like this.
  6. blademan 13

blademan 13 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 25, 2000
    Bill usually seems firmly rooted in tradition, I say usually. Seeing as though there was never a “bullet” linerlock, my dollars are on a different shield on this version.

7. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Sheath looks good!

rschuch likes this.
  8. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero

Jan 5, 2014
    It seems like the same shield is used on 1 and 2 blade versions of the same pattern usually?

9. P.R.

P.R.

Mar 25, 2019
    My Beavertail linerlock arrived!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Spaten, Chief, redcanoe and 11 others like this.
  10. P.R.

P.R.

Mar 25, 2019
    Here it is next to a Case Bose Back pocket and a full size Case trapper

[​IMG]

11. P.R.

P.R.

Mar 25, 2019
    It's the perfect size. The pull is a bit lighter than my micarta two blade. Left to right: Case Back pocket, Case trapper, GEC #23 linerlock, GEC #23 two blade

[​IMG]

Spaten, budman5, Hibou Canne and 8 others like this.
  12. Chief

Chief Chief Master Sergeant USAF (ret) 1975-2000 Platinum Member

Nov 15, 1998
    Beavertail LL. Pics show closeup of extra steel liner used for lock. The lock is surprisingly solid, moving to center when snapped open, good job. Surprised the pull is a solid 7 plus, LL doesn't need a spring this strong. The rounded LL tab doesn't seem to create a hot spot. Almost a flush joint (see end view). No doubt, even though it's a single blade, still a big knife, last pic is next to an 83. Can't imagine carrying a two blade version. Beaver shield and cherry wood are a nice combo.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pàdruig, Spaten, budman5 and 16 others like this.
  13. Kiro

Kiro Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Got my first 23 today, which is also my first GEC LL. To be honest... I don't get it. Having a pull that almost rips my nail off and a LL is pointless. The knife is beautiful. The liner feels fine in hand. It's a great size. But that spring tension is more of a hazard than a benefit. Will not be kept.
    Some of you love the big strong spring, and that's cool. I'm not trying to yuck your yum. Just not for me.

Quiet, gotgoat, Chief and 5 others like this.
  14. Onearmbladenut

Onearmbladenut Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jul 19, 2018
    "YOU SNOOZE ! YOU LOSE !"

15. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    Beautiful photos of a fine-looking knife, John! :thumbsup:

I’m surprised these went so fast. They’re beautiful, but I guess I just didn’t expect these huge knives to be quite that popular.

I’m still hoping for a long shot on a LL Beaver Tail, or I might try for the Northfield jigged bone (hoping it’s the Bullet shield like the two-blade). I wish the Micarta excited me more.

Chief and tmd_87 like this.
  16. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    I'm really hoping the single blade is also a bullet shield as well!

nyrico and Old Engineer like this.
  17. oldmanwilly

oldmanwilly Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 7, 2014
    I missed my chance to reserve a Northfield LL but was lucky to snag one of the cherry LL's which should arrive on Monday. I am now debating whether it is worth the time and effort to snag a Northfield LL or just be satisfied with what I already have (which I know is kind of a moot point in the life of a collector...).

My question is this: as a user, how durable will the cherry scales be when compared to jigged bone? Will the wood swell/contract with moisture, will it crack and splinter due to friction with keys and other items in a pocket? Can anyone with a used model in jigged cherry weigh in?

tmd_87 likes this.
  18. P.R.

P.R.

Mar 25, 2019
    I don't have an older knife with cherry scales, but after doing some brief research it looks like "Brazilian cherry" is actually Jatoba. It is a very durable hardwood that is used for floors, as well as indoor/outdoor applications.

tmd_87, oldmanwilly, Chief and 2 others like this.
  19. GaiusJulius

GaiusJulius

Jan 9, 2016
    Any wood will be pretty resilient. May get a small and slight compression mark if you sit directly on it with your keys, but probably won’t chip or crack like bone might. If the knife takes a swim the wood might swell and may or may not change shape slightly, but in actual normal use this is not an issue. I have a wood handled buck knife from the 70s that looks fine and has probably dressed many a deer and spent many a day in a humid garage.

In the grand scheme of things they’re not that expensive. Why not buy 2 and try to wear one out?

20. rdave

rdave Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 13, 2013

ditto... love it. jigging is beautiful and unique... pull is strong. 9+...the pull is whatever CKMike grades the pull at plus 2....strong.

tmd_87 likes this.