2020 GEC #23 Trapper Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by bax229, Feb 28, 2020.

1. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    @btb01
    I wouldn't feel too bad with the cherrywood beaver. It may be "the one."

Onearmbladenut likes this.
  2. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    That unexpected jigging really does make the Beaver Tail stand out.

BDubbs, Onearmbladenut and joeradza like this.
  3. Blacksprucy

Blacksprucy

Dec 6, 2015
    Got my 2-blade woodland micarta #23 this week. Very impressed with it. It is really my first traditional knife (maybe a Buck 110 counts) that fills the hand this well. While heavy it is not as bad as I thought carrying in the pocket, but I do have a custom sheath being made for it from Etsy. My particular specimen is pretty much flawless. There is the tiniest bit of spey blade sitting proud while closed, but you really have to try to use your fingernail in just the right way to catch the tip. No evidence of the blade making contact with the pins/spring when closing as was reported in a few instances earlier in this thread.

From the reviews, I was expecting the pull to be a complete bear-trap to get open, but it is not bad at all. I would rate it at about a 7 on the Collector Knives Scale for each blade. Both are just a bit heavier to my GEC #71 Bullnose from the last run they did, but the #23 is probably easier overall to open just due to the size and more area to grip when opening.

Camillus, JohnDF and oldmanwilly like this.
  4. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    I'm enjoying my #23 even more than I thought i would.
    The Jigged Micarta feels absolutely wonderful in-hand. :cool::thumbsup:
    [​IMG]

5. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Agree 100%..... I'm VERY pleasantly surprised at how much I like this knife...

Scott J., btb01 and JohnDF like this.
  6. GeofS

GeofS “Nostra-bladus” Platinum Member

Mar 9, 2018
    After some use...
    [​IMG]

7. Colt_Chad

Colt_Chad Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 16, 2020
    My 2nd Beaver Tail LL was delivered today. I definitely don't regret "accidentally" buying two of the same model.

8. 4thpoint

4thpoint

Sep 28, 2015
    I got 2 LL's. One locks up real solid and LL stops half way.
    The other one has vertical play. The LL stops all the way to the right and is not touching the tang.

Any one else have this going on with their LL?
    I know the lock still will function but it is a little annoying. Will GEC fix this?

9. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    The autumn bone LLs are hitting the dealers this week according to instagram.

Don W, tmd_87, Colt_Chad and 2 others like this.
  10. HEMI 49

HEMI 49 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 9, 2018
    This liner lock functions differently than a modern knife liner lock.... It acts as a safety versus a wedge..... You are ok... Enjoy your knife....

4thpoint likes this.
  11. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    Like Brent just said, it's just an added safety measure.
    It's not like a modern knife where it's required to keep the knife open.
    My old #73 does the same thing but the tiny bit of play in the lock is only noticeable when I test it.
    Eventually they are all going to wear to the point that the liner lock will fall all the way to the other side, but still be fine.

4thpoint likes this.
  12. Mitt

Mitt

Aug 31, 2017
    Mine snapped to the side right out of the tube and the lock does what it was intended to do. When the tab of lock that extends over the front of the tang hits the liner about a 1/2 of the base of the tang is still covered by the lock. This will prevent play and the blade becoming jammed against the lock. The tab is a feature none of my modern liner locks have and I wish they did.

4thpoint and JohnDF like this.
  13. JohnDF

May 14, 2018
    Look at the bright side... No Lock-Stick. :D

meako, 4thpoint and HEMI 49 like this.
  14. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    MVIMG_20200725_194636.jpg

15. Colt_Chad

Apr 16, 2020
  16. Lander boy Matt

Lander boy Matt Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Woohoo!! Just paid for my reserved autumn bone LL! Beavertail should be in the mailbox tomorrow.

tmd_87 and Colt_Chad like this.
  17. Colt_Chad

Apr 16, 2020
    Been toting this one all weekend and snapped a picture of it in the wild today while I was checking my trail camera. I can't wait to skin a buck with this one!

[​IMG]

18. btb01

Jul 26, 2008
    Just in case any of y’all haven’t seen it yet, I’m doing a little giveaway here. It should be of particular interest if you missed out or passed on a Beaver Tail Liner Lock. ;) :D

[​IMG]

19. Tx308

Tx308 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 30, 2014
    Just got my notification that the 23LL autumn bone are finally arriving at dealers. Now just waiting on the post office to do its part.

20. btb01

Jul 26, 2008
    [​IMG]

GunGraber, Don W, Tpost and 9 others like this.