2020 GEC #23 Trapper Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by bax229, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Onearmbladenut

Onearmbladenut Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jul 19, 2018
    The GEC#23 Schedule has been re-edited again. The Kifer #23LL Blue Camel bone liner-lock single blade is back on. GEC forgot to add liner lock in the description. "Yahoooo !" I got one on pre-order !

2. GaiusJulius

GaiusJulius

Jan 9, 2016
    I have a 73 linerlock that I carry every day. I preordered the micarta LL because a knife this big will be a user, and I find the linerlock to be a genuinely useful feature. Only takes one time getting careless with a heavily taped up box and accidentally closing the blade on yourself before you start to reevaluate the desirability of a lock on your “working” knife.

hornetguy and Onearmbladenut like this.
  3. Onearmbladenut

Onearmbladenut Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jul 19, 2018
    Four fingers and a thumb , I need that liner lock. I have six #23LL liner-locks & four #23 Trapper two blades on pre-order. I've gone fool for #23s. And I am expecting secret surprise Bull-lock #23 too. "Hope & Dream !"

blademan 13 and Magizm7 like this.
  4. HotGuts

HotGuts Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 1, 2016
    Roger that. I saw my mistake after I posted. Haste makes waste.
    The 'Woodland' that I posted omits the 'Camouflage' part from the name. GEC's version doesn't go for the camo and looks like weathered wood to me.

Onearmbladenut and btb01 like this.
  5. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    To my eye this shield always makes the covers look better...

[​IMG]

6. Wharn

Wharn Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 1, 2011
    OK if they stick to the hound’s tooth I may actually go for a 2 bladed 23 in the woodland micarta.

7. gaj999

gaj999

Jan 25, 2004
    That looks tasteful. The work in progress photo looked to me like they're just equal width grooves the length of the cover. That might be OK, but I don't think it will be nearly as attractive as that mock up ...

8. GaiusJulius

GaiusJulius

Jan 9, 2016
    I don’t think I’ve ever seen a finished GEC that didn’t look halfway decent, even if it wasn’t a pattern or color I personally would choose. I doubt they’ll be too ugly.

Onearmbladenut likes this.
  9. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    The shield helps. :thumbsup:

Yeah, I’d be surprised if the grooves/stripes look as rustic as the mockup (though I, too, would prefer that). As you said, they look pretty straight and of equal width on the unfinished scales, and the fixed blade they used the woodland Micarta on before looked the same.

Onearmbladenut, cbr1000 and gaj999 like this.
  10. Lander boy Matt

Lander boy Matt Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 12, 2019

cbr1000 likes this.
  11. Lander boy Matt

Lander boy Matt Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 12, 2019
    Oops posted inside the quote:confused:

12. Mitt

Mitt

Aug 31, 2017
    Well it looks like new jigging for the beaver tail
    [​IMG]

13. gaj999

gaj999

Jan 25, 2004
    You can edit your posts ...

14. cbr1000

cbr1000

Jan 31, 2013
    The most recent in production photo does have some of the characteristics of the mock up... if you zoom in... especially the one on the right.

[​IMG]

15. gaj999

gaj999

Jan 25, 2004
    Other than the groove up near the blade well, I'm still seeing parallel grooves. The one on the left actually looks less parallel to me, but I think it's an artifact of the lighting. Either way, it should make a great user and I'll probably end up with one. I like micarta.

16. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Cougar-clawed-winterbottom.... GEC style! :thumbsup:

17. Mitt

Mitt

Aug 31, 2017
    Photos showing the new jigging on the beaver tail.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Matt_WY

Matt_WY Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 30, 2018
    That's pretty cool jigging, kind of has a prehistoric flint knapping pattern going.

Onearmbladenut and joeradza like this.
  19. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 5, 2014
    I would enjoy a plain, non jigged Brazilian cherry 23, but the new style jigging does look nice.

20. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    If I had known the jigging on the cherry wood was going to look like that, I would have reserved one of those, instead of the woodland micarta...the pictures of other knives with jigged cherry wood did not appeal to me at all. This one is going to look very nice, indeed...such is life....

edit: Of course, I'd still have to grit my teeth to get past that silly beaver shield..:thumbsdown: