2020 GEC #62 Easy Pocket Congress and Pocket Carver Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by waverave, Nov 20, 2019.

1. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jul 3, 2019
    I appreciate the disclosure! Extra points for only using knives. I think the one-knife projects are special and you honor that by noting what you used. Whittling with only one knife is a challenge, and generally not as enjoyable to me since variety is the spice of life. (I own the same flex cut, so I would understand why you might choose that for this work.)

“... so I tried” is one of those phrases I enjoy. Good! Your project turned out excellent. The great thing about not shooting for realism: it can be excellent and merely resemble a monkey. Look at @jiki’s hillbillies... think about how many details your mind is filling in. Jiki just hints that’s they are there, but it’s really the brain that does some of the lifting.

In time you’ll pick that up and you’ll forget the time it took and what you pictured when you made it. You’ll see it with fresh eyes and appreciate the good work.

Great stuff! Pleased to hear your #62 PC is getting some attention. Keep it up! A lot of these whittlings will survive you and I’d bet a fair amount of them will surely be keepsakes. “You’re great grandpappy Hornetguy made this monkey with a knife, because he could. Also, here’s his #62 collection.” Why your parents named you Hornetguy is another story they might tell.

seas165, TheFactor and hornetguy like this.
  2. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    hornetguy likes this.
  3. yablanowitz

yablanowitz

Apr 14, 2006
    Thanks guys. Here's a couple more pictures of the skull with his predecessor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

boykinlp, Dschal, Matt_WY and 14 others like this.
  4. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    Very nice, Jack!!:thumbsup:
    What wood did you use for the Skulls??

TheFactor likes this.
  5. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Spot on. They are characters, over emphasize one attribute, leave off another. Makes it fun.

EngrSorenson likes this.
  6. yablanowitz

yablanowitz

Apr 14, 2006
    The older one on the right is basswood, the other one is a hardwood carving block that my boss ordered for me as a gift. I suspect it's ash, but it don't know for certain.

EngrSorenson likes this.
  7. Scott J.

Scott J. Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 8, 2019
    Now I gotta figure out this whittling thing to justify the box that just arrived. Maybe I'll try Doug Linker's chicken stick.
    The sun really brings out the best in this wood, I'm happy with the copy I recieved.
    [​IMG]

8. TheFactor

TheFactor Life is good ! Platinum Member

Feb 26, 2015
    Fresh out of the tube and couldn’t be happier! What a beautiful knife :thumbsup:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. CasePeanut

CasePeanut Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2018
    Those cocobolo carvers look beautiful.

For those of you with a set of #62 Carvers, What’s the most comfortable? Bone, Wood or Micarta?

I have the bone and a Micarta on order. Wondering if I “need” the cocobolo too!

TheFactor and waynorth like this.
  10. EngrSorenson

Jul 3, 2019
    you absolutely do. I’m sure cocobolo is the MOST comfortable. It’ll probably make you a better whittler and solve at least one major life problem. Get it... you know you want it... come on... look at those beautiful knives... get it... get it... get it...

11. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Holding the cocobolo Carver is like resting on a soft, yet firm, couch made of the finest Corinthian leather, with a glass of chilled lemonade in one hand and a perfectly cooked bratwurst on an onion bun with the best kind of mustard in the other.

Holding the bone version is very similar to eating cobbler sitting on a porch swing.

Holding the micarta version is like holding a football covered in Velcro and poison ivy and sitting on a three legged stool with one leg missing.

GE Jr, pjsjr, hornetguy and 6 others like this.
  12. Jiki

Jun 12, 2018
    I haven't noticed a difference, I must have some blocked chakras or something.

[​IMG]

Crazy Canuck, Dschal, Aryan29 and 9 others like this.
  13. EngrSorenson

Jul 3, 2019
    I’m dying hahahaha

You, sir, could write the next great American novel.

BIGDORK likes this.
  14. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    Ha ha!!:D

15. Jiki

Jun 12, 2018
    Have you guys ever carved one with an invisible ball?:confused:
    [​IMG]

16. CasePeanut

CasePeanut Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2018
    Magic!

17. Jiki

Jun 12, 2018
    Ta Da!

18. waynorth

Nov 19, 2005
    Ha Ha again!!

TheFactor likes this.
  19. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Now, THAT is talent. Not many people could do that, I'm sure...

20. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    and... my first attempt at a "little man"... done completely with the large blade on my white bone pocket carver. These are really good carving knives, once the blade angle is corrected to your liking, and stropped to a mirror polish. I'm loving it... and I have two more of them coming, as soon as the idiot... um, I mean, GOVERNOR in Pennsylvania allows GEC to go back to work.

edit:... I also meant to mention that my online tutor, Doug Linker has ordered a Pocket Carver, and is anxious to try it out. He's in Canada, so I guess shipping has been spotty, but I'm curious to hear his take on it.

[​IMG]

rpdur, budman5, Crazy Canuck and 9 others like this.