2020 GEC #62 Easy Pocket Congress and Pocket Carver Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by waverave, Nov 20, 2019.

1. pjsjr

pjsjr Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 2, 2005
    I was waiting for Halloween:p:D:p
    [​IMG]

2. Travman

Travman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2016
    GEC did a really good job of fitting the shields on these Pocket Carvers.[​IMG]

3. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    I might have to wait for Halloween.... mine may be lost in the USPS netherworld. Maybe it will arrive today... tracking isn't working on it. My muslin shipped today. It might actually beat the pumpkin one here.... :rolleyes:

pjsjr, EngrSorenson and AnW like this.
  4. CasePeanut

CasePeanut Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2018
    Muslin on the way! I'm second guessing myself about Muslin after seeing all the great orange and Red&Black micarta pics. We'll see what it looks like next to the Unicorn and White Bone for an all-white #62 trio.

AnW likes this.
  5. Jiki

Jiki Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 12, 2018
    [​IMG]
    I will be getting one of these.

6. cigarrodog

cigarrodog Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 18, 2014
  7. hornetguy

Feb 11, 2015
    Yes, they did.... they are a tough act to follow. I was going to limit my carvers to the F&F versions, until I saw the shield on these.... I don't normally care much one way or the other about the shield, but these really sing....

8. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 5, 2014
    Hard to beat the crown shield.

91D0454B-5032-4D7D-95BD-66750A7C684B.jpeg

9. hornetguy

Feb 11, 2015
    My orange arrived today.. this is a really nicely finished knife.. half stops are all flush, except the main, where the spring is slightly proud. Open and closed are all flush, as is normal with GEC. Blades are perfectly centered, no rub to be seen... very smoothly rounded handles, feels just right, in hand. I think it's going to be a dandy carver.

[​IMG]

10. Scott J.

Scott J. Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 8, 2019
    Looks good. You'll have a thousand dollar 62 collection pretty soon.

EngrSorenson and hornetguy like this.
  11. hornetguy

Feb 11, 2015
    I think that ship has already sailed.... :oops:

mbkr, Scott J. and EngrSorenson like this.
  12. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jul 3, 2019
    You might be my hero. I imagine a staving family sitting around watching grandpa excitedly popping a new tube that just arrived, then using that knife to divide the one Lima bean they have for the day. Beautiful acquisition!

also- good to see you’re brushing up on your math. Is that for keeping a running tabulation on your GEC #62 expenses?

hornetguy likes this.
  13. hornetguy

Feb 11, 2015
    Yeah... my grand daughter stays with my wife several days a week, and she's trying to keep up with her school work. She's going into the 2nd grade next year. I'm afraid to look at the questions in that book, and am hoping she doesn't have to ask me for help.

I'm also trying to not think about what I've spent on 62's. Some things are better left alone....:cool:
    I justify it to myself by thinking "I could have 2 custom knives, or the whole GEC 2020 62 family... hmmmmm"

at least collecting knives is cheaper than collecting Colt single action army revolvers, or rare baseball cards....

willard0341, Scott J., P.R. and 3 others like this.
  14. hornetguy

Feb 11, 2015
    "justification" can take many forms... I have, all in all, perhaps 25 GEC knives. I talked to a guy the other day, who said he has over 350 GEC knives... collectible stuff. THAT is a collection... I'm still amazed just trying to wrap my head around having that many knives, of ANY brand...

I'm small time....:(:D

15. willc

willc Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 13, 2013
    B1B114EB-67F2-403C-8FEF-A74E46B61262.jpeg
    I got my orange delrin 62 F&F in today.
    So far I am impressed.

It really looks and feels to be a well made tool.
    I hope to give it a good workout this weekend.

16. TheFactor

TheFactor Life is good ! Platinum Member

Feb 26, 2015
    These pocket carvers stole my heart !
    Especially this one :)
    [​IMG]

17. TheFactor

Feb 26, 2015
    Yes they did ! :thumbsup:

18. TheFactor

Feb 26, 2015
    I couldn’t resist a Natural Linen Micarta Pocket carver is in route :thumbsup:

Onearmbladenut and Scott J. like this.
  19. Georgecatl

Georgecatl Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 26, 2010
    Arrived on Thursday and got around to opening box this evening. Very happy with this addition. 805F72F1-379D-47D3-92A2-9FB98BB8AD10.jpeg

20. hornetguy

Feb 11, 2015
    To those "Dougies" out there... he did get his carver, a white bone, and he was asked about it. He hesitated, then said he was spoiled by the Helvie knives, because of the thin blades. He said he really liked the Pocket Carver, but the only drawback was the thicker blade. Everything else he said about it amounted to glowing praise. Great knife, beautifully made, top quality, etc....
    He did mention he might get someone to slim down the main blade for him...