2020 GEC #62 Easy Pocket Congress and Pocket Carver Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by waverave, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Jiki

Jiki Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Learning Doug's new bear.
    [​IMG]

2. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    I'm doing that one, too... but I'm not as far along as you are. That's looking good. I think I'll probably try it in a smaller version, after finishing this one.

Onearmbladenut likes this.
  3. Jiki

Jun 12, 2018
    1 to learn it 2 thru 10 to practice and make it your own.
    [​IMG]

4. hornetguy

Feb 11, 2015
    Finally finished my first bear of this type...
    [​IMG]

5. AnW

AnW Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 15, 2019
    I am envious of you gentlemen's talents!

EngrSorenson, Jolipapa and hornetguy like this.
  6. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    :cool::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

hornetguy likes this.
  7. knifethetank

knifethetank Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2018

Nice prediction, I agree that LionSteel does make a good knife but I think GEC has nothing to worry about no matter how LionSteel makes them. My biggest reason I don’t buy more LionSteel knives is their cover options, it’s not even close to what GEC offers, not that I like all of them but a lot of customers do.

EngrSorenson likes this.
  8. TheFactor

TheFactor Life is good ! Platinum Member

Feb 26, 2015
    Well looks like Natural Linen Micarta Pocket carver has arrived at the home front :thumbsup:
    Now I just need to get off work and head home !

EngrSorenson likes this.
  9. TheFactor

Feb 26, 2015
    Ok folks it is now in my hands.
    Here’s my short but sweet Thoughts on this one. I will start with the concern of any sharp edges on the covers. On mine there is none although only slightly contoured the edges are rounded enough to not create any hot spots at least in my hand. Don’t think you’ll have any issues even if you gorilla grip it for you Whittlers out there :)
    The fit and finish is outstanding with centered blades , no gaps on the back springs. Walk and talk is wonderful on the main blade and secondary. The smallest blade is a little lazy after the half stop but just from opening and closing it a handful of times it’s already better. The pins are all flush and smooth and well matched. I think Gec did a wonderful job on this one and it’s exceeded my expectations.
    This natural linen Micarta is absolutely beautiful. It has a honey look to it and the center on both covers are slightly darker. They should develop some nice character.
    Ok now to the fun stuff the pictures :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My Hitch&Timber pocket slip fits perfect to and ready for tomorrow’s carry.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Troutzill

Troutzill Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 2, 2009
    This huge post (which I have only viewed a portion of) is so inspiring that I brok down and bought a Pocket Carver in Cocobolo. I love it, very impressed with it. A Wharncliffe blade is one of my favorites and 3 is even better. Now I need to get an Easy Pocket Congress. Too bad I'm getting into the game soo late, not many options left, but I do have my eye on a Unicorn Ivory Acrylic from what is available.

11. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jul 3, 2019
    I figure the intent of the main blade is to provide a general use knife blade. I understand and appreciate what the critique is, I just think of the PC as a legitimate general purpose knife with carving blades, unlike how we’d characterize something like the flex cut folding knives.

12. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jul 3, 2019
    I just got caught up- great work as always @Jiki. @hornetguy i must say- I’m really impressed with your progress! Truly fantastic work! @TheFactor i really appreciate the review- those natural micarta versions are gorgeous and REALLY tempting...

hornetguy likes this.
  13. Jiki

Jun 12, 2018
    I'm going to just go with what Bill Howard said the intended purpose is for it to be a carving knife.
    That being said it's your knife use it as you wish.
    I understand Doug's point the main is thick compared to Drake or a Helvie, however I can do 99% of what I do with my Drake with my PC it is just slower sometimes.
    It's just a beautifully designed and built knife that is easier to carry around than a purpose built carving knife.

hornetguy and P.R. like this.
  14. blademan 13

blademan 13 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 25, 2000
    The Ivory Acrylic is very nice and there also seems to be some fine stag versions left. Happy hunting!

Troutzill likes this.
  15. yablanowitz

yablanowitz

Apr 14, 2006
    If he thinks that blade is thick, hand him a Case Seahorse.

16. blademan 13

blademan 13 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 25, 2000
    Nice summary @TheFactor . Makes me rest a little easier with mine on the way. Here I was going to sit out on these #62’s but now find myself with 3 of them. The Unicorn Ivory makes a wonderful dress carry, the stag is great for everday and with this Pocket Carver I plan on giving whittling a serious effort.

Kiteman72, TheFactor and Troutzill like this.
  17. TheFactor

Feb 26, 2015
    Thank you @blademan 13 :)
    It was my honest assessment and I like it even more today. Hopefully that’ll take any of your worries away :thumbsup:
    I think you’ll be very happy with it and hope you will be and enjoy yours as much as I am mine.
    Here’s another picture for you to ease your wait as mine is getting to know his friends :D
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  18. hornetguy

Feb 11, 2015
    I had pretty much decided I didn't need a natural micarta..... then you had to post about it. That is a really nice looking version. I'm weak, I'll probably have to order one.

That fixed blade has some gorgeous wood on it... curly maple? Really, really nice.... showing my ignorance here... who made it?

EngrSorenson and TheFactor like this.
  19. Hivoltage

Hivoltage Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 19, 2018
    @TheFactor sells a lot of knives around here! :)

hornetguy and TheFactor like this.
  20. TheFactor

Feb 26, 2015
    The natural linen Micarta Is really nice. I think you’ll find the edges on the covers are slightly rounded and not as sharp as the musilin. But not as contoured as Tidioute line but this still feels good in hand.
    Thanks it’s a Bark River First Production BushCrafter LT with CPM 3V Blade steel . Yes you nailed it :D Dark Curly Maple :thumbsup: