2020 GEC #62 Easy Pocket Congress and Pocket Carver Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by waverave, Nov 20, 2019.

1. r8shell

r8shell Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jan 16, 2010
    Oops, sorry. :oops: Still on my first cup of coffee this morning.

JohnDF and EngrSorenson like this.
  2. BIGDORK

BIGDORK Gold Member Gold Member

May 27, 2018
    im really excited for that cocobolo pocket carver, i honestly didnt think i was interested in this pattern until i made an impulse buy on the banana. These little buggers are great and my tally just went from 0 to potentially 4.

Attached Files:

3. yablanowitz

yablanowitz

Apr 14, 2006
    It lacks the straight run to the tip of a sheepsfoot. The curve (in my opinion) starts too late to be a Wharncliffe. Most days I call it a sheepscliffe, but wharnfoot has a nice ring to it.

waynorth likes this.
  4. waynorth

waynorth Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Nov 19, 2005
    To @EngrSorenson et alia; Blades are routinely altered slightly to fit a handle pattern, enough to create confusion! That Maverick I posted has a strange bunch oh blades, altered to fit the Congress, in which they probably don't belong!!:D
    I have always thought of the Case Seahorse as the purest form of a Wharncliffe Whittler. It has an elegant form IMO!!
    I have seen variations, slimmer, or wider, some with blade substitutions, but none succeed quite as much, when you take in the combination of pure form, and utility!!
    A picture here is in order, I guess!!
    Seahorses3.jpg
    The long handle affords power and control. The beefy wharncliffe blade removes material with bravado!! And the coping and pen blades give a variety for detail work!!
    That said, I can't wait to get my versions of the #62 Pocket Carver !!
    I have ordered examples of each handle!!

5. GE Jr

GE Jr Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 29, 2015
    [​IMG]

Aryan29, mitch4ging, JustinR and 12 others like this.
  6. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Those are going to look so good with some pocket time and age.

7. Matt_WY

Matt_WY Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 30, 2018
    the smooth white bone pocket carver looks fantastic, and a nice button to boot.

sf fanatic, Kiteman72 and waverave like this.
  8. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    I agree with you on the Case Seahorse Charlie .

Harry

waynorth, Will Power and EngrSorenson like this.
  9. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson

Jul 3, 2019
    Oh jeez...
    it’s so purdy. How can I resist?
    “Sorry honey”

Wharn, waynorth and Crazy Canuck like this.
  10. Stumpy72

Stumpy72 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 5, 2018
    My Stags just arrived and these are over-the-top beautiful knives.

11. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero

Jan 5, 2014
    knife of the year?!

i know its way too early to call it, but, wow, sooo nice

9D155570-45C2-41E8-AE78-BC27EB63F7D6.jpeg 583E7F67-5733-4C12-A386-EE64FF70BE10.jpeg

12. CelloDan

CelloDan Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 2, 2017
    EngrSorenson and waynorth like this.
  13. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    waynorth and EngrSorenson like this.
  14. CasePeanut

CasePeanut Gold Member Gold Member

May 25, 2018
    the stag looks great. I'm not sure I'll be fast enough to pick one up from a dealer, and at this point I want to see the stag before I buy it!

The white bone carvers look fantastic. I've reserved a micarta, but might need to find one of the white bones to match my unicorn.

waynorth likes this.
  15. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero

Jan 5, 2014
    I like to pick my knives no matter what the cover material because there are always examples with that extra special something, but I have been disappointed only 1-2 times out of many knives.

I like picking but I also enjoy lottery, and lottery is most traditional, like ordering by mail from Sears and Roebuck.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2020
  16. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    I'm gonna have to get a second job..... I didn't want a stag 62.. now I do. I even want a plain micarta one. I have two of the FF carvers reserved, and now I want a white bone Tidioute... and very likely a coco one...

[​IMG]

17. boykinlp

boykinlp

May 14, 2018
    hornetguy,
    I think I am a nice guy, but definitely not that nice!! Just order one and pray for the best or pay the big bucks on the secondary market. I truly believe that if you order one, and don't like it, you could sell it and maybe make a profit.
    Larry

hornetguy likes this.
  18. Aryan29

Aryan29

May 20, 2018
    I was a bit slow to warm up to these beautiful pieces. And now, I’d love to add a Stag;), just as the journey is more important...so is the search :):thumbsup:
    [​IMG]
    PS: I am going thru the pages in this thread and giving as many likes as possible, mostly to the messages with pics. What a great thread this is developing into:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2020
  19. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson

Jul 3, 2019
    When do we think these carvers are hitting the shelves? I’ve been sitting here with my wallet open chronically checking dealer sites, hoping somehow they got shipped before the release picture got put up.

I figure it’s typically a couple days and then they start to drizzle in.

20. MerryMadMonk

MerryMadMonk Platinum Member Platinum Member

May 22, 2011
    Beautiful stag and both sides match so well. At first look, I thought you had posted the same picture twice! Congrats!