1. BladeForums has ZERO TOLERANCE for extremism or calls of violence. We request your assistance dealing with this as we do not want to see the site shut down due to violent threats. Please see this thread here in Tech Support: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/bladeforums-has-a-zero-tolerance-policy-towards-threats-of-violence-extremism-be-warned.1769537/

2020 GEC #62 Easy Pocket Congress and Pocket Carver Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by waverave, Nov 20, 2019.

1. waverave

waverave Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 7, 2018
    I found this very interesting and got Randy's ok to share it here. For those that don't know Randy, he is an engineer at GEC and has designed many of the knives you love so much :)
    Randy's_Whittler_Info_01.jpg
    Randy's_Whittler_Info_02.jpg
    Randy's_Whittler_Info_03.jpg
    Randy's_Whittler_Info_04.jpg

afishhunter, pjsjr, JohnDF and 17 others like this.
  2. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 5, 2014
    I really like the way GEC built the Pocket Carvers without the gap in the back springs. Much cleaner and more refined knife.

I guess reading all them long haired books wasn’t a waste of time.

3. Ron Sabbagh

Ron Sabbagh Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 15, 1999
    OMG love Foghorn!!!

Onearmbladenut and BIGDORK like this.
  4. BIGDORK

BIGDORK Gold Member Gold Member

May 27, 2018
    That boys about as sharp as a bowling ball!

5. mbkr

mbkr Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2018
    The gap in a splitback can be extremely tiny. This 2000 Case 6383 is an example. So small as to be inconsequential. One has to be looking for it, and even then I need a magnifying glass to really see it ;)
    CaseWhittlerSB1.JPG

6. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    Well, the second of my three wayward knives arrived today... and I beat my wife to the mailbox again.....

[​IMG]

A goldenrod camel 62... when my next one arrives, I think my 2020 easy pocket congress family will be complete... at least for those I intend to buy. I'm still open to getting samples from the earlier years' runs... the hunt continues...:cool:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck Singing along with the voices in my head Gold Member

Nov 24, 2013
    My Pocket Carver arrived this morning, and I have a few small pieces of basswood to play with. :)

[​IMG]

8. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
    PSA.
    There are a lot of new whittlers coming about because of the new pocket carvers.
    WOOD BREAKS!
    Wear a cut resistant glove.
    [​IMG]

afishhunter, bbfish, BIGDORK and 10 others like this.
  9. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jul 3, 2019
    How many new whittlers would you guess, @Jiki? :rolleyes::D

I imagine the Venn Diagram of “Traditional Slipjoint Knife Carriers” and “People Who’ve Put a Knife to Wood” is almost concentric.

for you folks whittling with chainsaws the glove isn’t going to help much.;)

Quiet likes this.
  10. Jiki

Jun 12, 2018
    I have been sent photo after photo of people "going to give this a try"

Quiet likes this.
  11. waverave

Jun 7, 2018
    Wasn't planning to get an easy pocket but wanted to try one out and this stag version caught my eye :)
    GEC_62_stag_01.jpg
    GEC_62_stag_02.jpg

12. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Very nicely matched gnarly stag... doesn't happen that way very often, in my experience. When it does, it's almost magical.

waverave likes this.
  13. waverave

Jun 7, 2018
    Yes not too bad at all. The show side is a little fatter than the pile side but both are very pleasing.

14. EngrSorenson

EngrSorenson Gold Member Gold Member Basic Member

Jul 3, 2019
    Sounds like you could count them then! Bonus: since you wear the glove I bet you have all ten fingers to count with! :p

Working on anything lately?

Gloves have been worn by all kinds of successful folks- Micheal Jackson, Howie Mandel and OJ Simpson, most famously.

afishhunter, JohnDF and rpstrimple like this.
  15. Jiki

Jun 12, 2018
    So ES is safety 3rd. That's ok, I learned my lesson the hard way just trying to allow others to learn from my mistakes.

I have a ball and cage at the office and been too busy to start anything at home since the wood spirit.

EngrSorenson likes this.
  16. nyrico

nyrico Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Wow are these pocket carvers well made. I receive a F&F today to add to my white bone pocket carver and they are both exceptional with regards to fit and finish. After seeing everyones pics I have ordered some Bass wood and heeded the warning and order gloves as well, I guess I'll try my hand at whittlin' during my social distancing.

62PC_BF.JPG

17. Neko2

Neko2 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 18, 2003
    Anyone still have the F&F in stock?

18. Crazy Canuck

Crazy Canuck Singing along with the voices in my head Gold Member

Nov 24, 2013
    That F&F looks just plain awesome @nyrico ! Can't wait for mine to get here.

rpstrimple and nyrico like this.
  19. nyrico

nyrico Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 26, 2012
    Thank you, Canuck, I hemmed and haw'd over the coco pocket carver, I knew I was going to go a little crazy with the 23s. This one actually has a distinct wood grain that almost satisfies that itch.

Crazy Canuck likes this.
  20. lavishmammal

lavishmammal Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 15, 2014
    Loving the pocket carvers. Got one in cocobolo, not sure which one I like more.

[​IMG]