2020 GEC #74 Mustang Thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by waverave, Sep 15, 2020.

1. SnackPack

SnackPack Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2019
    Depending what you want I'm sure people have reserved more than they plan to purchase. I much prefer Tidioute trim and reserved both, even though I'm only dead set on the burlap, and more wishy washy about the bone.
    Same, i was as fast as humanly possible on my phone when I got the alert, but still standby for both of mine. Was everyone standby though, because it's a short run?

2. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    I'm glad I decided to not use reserve systems any more.
    I don't need the added stress in my life right now.

Don W, btb01, ArchVV and 10 others like this.
  3. nickvnlr

nickvnlr Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Nope. Reserved Micarta, standby ironwood & stag

4. peanutsxx

peanutsxx Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 5, 2017
    LOL I too have been refreshing CK's page for the past few days and stepped out at just the wrong time. Ah well.

Onearmbladenut and oldmanwilly like this.
  5. oldmanwilly

oldmanwilly Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 7, 2014
    @SnackPack, yes I am a little disappointed but I will manage. I already reached out to another dealer to try to reserve a stag and/or ironwood but have not gotten a 100% confirmation on that yet. Fingers crossed.

6. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    absolutely. I'm done with the "reserve" system. Plenty of other knives out there.... "life as we know it" won't come to an end if I don't get a 74.

7. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    Stress? Get text, click link, click stag, done.

tmd_87 and knifeswapper like this.
  8. knifeswapper

knifeswapper Knife Peddler Dealer / Materials Provider

Sep 3, 2004
    Every dealer does it a bit different. And every solution agitates somebody. Wish I had 1000 of them all to myself.....

nickvnlr, GaryFx, btb01 and 13 others like this.
  9. joeradza

joeradza Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 6, 2014
    @knifeswapper
    There’s enough stress in the world that’s why I deal with you Mike.

10. sf fanatic

sf fanatic Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 4, 2017
    Mike, I was told by another dealer that this run of Mustangs is smaller, only 200 per cover. Any validity to it?

Onearmbladenut likes this.
  11. AnW

AnW Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 15, 2019
    I missed out as well, but I'm not too disappointed. I've spent more than I should have this year on knives.

I don't see this as an issue with CK (or any other dealer for that matter). Since the 23s, every drop from GEC has been limited quantities so they go super fast. I've only had about a 50% success rate since they reopened which can be frustrating.

I hope it's just pandemic related supply chain or manpower limitations and not the new GEC reality.

Back to the topic, I look forward to seeing the Mustang production photos. I was pretty lukewarm to the pattern but after seeing photos from previous years, I'm sure they will be great.

Lander boy Matt and swede413 like this.
  12. knifeswapper

knifeswapper Knife Peddler Dealer / Materials Provider

Sep 3, 2004
    I would defer to them...

13. rbeggs

rbeggs Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 8, 2013
    When i got mikes notification i was looking at my phone. I IMMEDIATELY went to his website and it took about 45 sec to load, i was already logged in and it took about another minute to get into the reserve system. I got a sure on jigged bone and standby on ironwood. Oh and they both were already yellow....whats caused this craziness?

SnackPack likes this.
  14. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    [​IMG]

:D

nickvnlr, btb01, Spaten and 6 others like this.
  15. sf fanatic

sf fanatic Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 4, 2017
    Thanks, Mike :)

16. HEMI 49

HEMI 49 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 9, 2018
    I was driving when the beep occurred...... I didn't hear it, and by the time I knew that the announcement had been made, The Victors were swilling champagne and making room in their knife drawer for the forthcoming spoils......
    So far I missed the 33 beep, the 35 beep and now the 74 ........ I guess I'm going to try integrating a dog shock collar to the Telegraph inbounds..... When CK says to "make your choices", the collar around my neck should get my attention.....

17. SnackPack

SnackPack Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 21, 2019
    How often do standbys get the nod? Asking for a friend with very slow internet... ;)

tmd_87 likes this.
  18. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    Sally aftermath took my chance. By the time we finished today’s clean up work the notification was long since cold. I know it can be frustrating for folks who love getting in on these knives, but it was a good reminder to me not to get too worked up on things that are secondary to others that matter far more. No criticism of anyone here who’s been discussing the reserve, of course. Just trying to share how it happened for me and try to give those who missed out a little perspective.

19. babykujo

babykujo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 18, 2020
    What Case knife is most similar to the 74?

20. cudgee

cudgee Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2019
    Very good question, looking forward to the answer.:thumbsup: