2021 #85 Crown Lifter

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Matt_WY, Feb 22, 2021.

1. mcc850

mcc850 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 24, 2020
    I will gladly be 2nd in command. I will take any and all pink knives that you find too pink haha.

tmd_87 likes this.
  2. btb01

btb01 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 26, 2008
    That’s probably my only complaint about the natural canvas Micarta. I love the way it looks when it’s fresh/new, but it never stays that way.

Exhibit A:

[​IMG]

3. Viper84

Viper84 Patina Artist Platinum Member

Dec 31, 2020
    Did you bleed all over that one or something? :eek:

I'm on the fence about the cherry natural bone. Might be too much pink for me.:confused:

Travman likes this.
  4. Mass1632

Mass1632 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2019
  5. Jiki

Jiki Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 12, 2018
    Different strokes.:D I love that deep mahogany color.

Lander boy Matt and btb01 like this.
  6. Sventhelumberjack

Sventhelumberjack Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2018
    20210305_131123~2.jpg Love it! Thank you GEC and Collector Knives! I had a single blade 85 Beavertail from 2018, but the single blade model was too thin and fiddly for my preference; this one is just what I was hoping for.

Spaten, willard0341, Sacto and 5 others like this.
  7. sf fanatic

sf fanatic Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 4, 2017
    Not much more I can add in the way positive adjectives to describe this knife but IMHO it is GECs best effort this year, so far. :)
    3BB834D8-8A03-4F51-89AD-F7DB2991DA87.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    Fox79, Spaten, willard0341 and 8 others like this.
  8. tmd_87

tmd_87 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 29, 2016
    YEP!

Pt-Luso and sf fanatic like this.
  9. Viper84

Dec 31, 2020
    I have the worst luck sometimes. My micarta 85 arrived today, and the cap lifter has a pull that is like 11/10. It is nearly impossible to pull out. I have to first open the blade and then grip both sides with a finger nail in the nail nick and apply so much force that it feels like my finger nail will rip off. :mad:

Anyone else experience this?

Not looking forward to waiting months for this to be fixed under warranty.

Goose 7279 and Coyja like this.
  10. Sventhelumberjack

Sventhelumberjack Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 18, 2018
    Sounds like something is jammed in the pivot. Try flushing with oil snd working the joint.

Mass1632 likes this.
  11. Viper84

Dec 31, 2020
    I'll try that, but there's nothing jammed that I can see. Once I got it opened, I moved it back and forth from the half stop to full open, and it makes a really loud pop right when it gets to the open position due to opening with a lot of force. Seems more like something is wrong with the spring tension or something.

12. tejasandre

tejasandre Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 23, 2016
    Send it to me, I’ll take a look. :rolleyes:

Wheat_ and mcc850 like this.
  13. Coyja

Coyja Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 7, 2009
    I traded mine off within three hours of receiving it exactly because of this!
    (There wasn't anything in the pivot, either)
    The blade was totally fine at a 6.5-7.

Whats the point of having a secondary thats supposed to be a quick, useful tool when you are going to break yourself using it?
    Can't believe I'm saying this, but I like the bine Urban Jack WAY more than this knife.
    I have an acrylic in reserve, so hopefully I have better luck this time.

14. bbk357

bbk357 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2018

It has nothing to do with luck or a mistake with GEC.
    I have had some secondary blades do this as well, especially my beer scouts.

You need to flush the blades really really well with mineral oil. Get all the black gunk out. After that open the blade so that the spring on the back extends as far as it can. Usually this is when the blade is between the open position and half stop.
    I’ve done this many times and it helps a lot and makes it easier to use. I am actually stretching the crown lifter spring on my 85 as we speak because mine is very tight as well.

Viper84 likes this.
  15. Viper84

Dec 31, 2020
    Thanks, I'll try that too. The only other multitool GEC I own is a Beer & Sausage, and it has the weakest springs of all my GECs.

16. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    I'm sure it isn't the easiest to get the perfect pull weight on multi-blade knives.
    For the majority of buyers, I believe they would prefer a strong pull to a weak pull, but there are some who would disagree.
    I think GEC will receive less complaints about a strong pull than they will a weak pull. so it's maybe best to play the averages.

17. Viper84

Dec 31, 2020
    These aren't what I would call strong pulls. A strong pull is strong, but not impossible to open with one finger. I have to open the blade first before opening the cap lifter, which is dangerous, and then spend like 10 seconds trying to get the right handle on the cap lifter before pulling it out. I have to nudge it out enough to where I can get a finger under it before pulling it the rest of the way out. That's like a 20/10 pull.

Coyja likes this.
  18. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Yours might have a burr stuck in there that you can't see. Flushing may help it break free. That said, every person is different. I have bought knives that others could not open and felt they were perfectly acceptable. Something I might call 8/10. I have never found a knife that I thought was too strong of a pull or that I could not open. Some of them much stronger than any GEC I've ever handled. (old Eye brand sodbusters for one) Not to say you are wrong or that yours is not hard to open, just that everyone has a different perception, hand strength, fingernail shape and strength, technique etc.:thumbsup:

JohnDF likes this.
  19. JTB_5

JTB_5 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 6, 2017
    I had a Sheffield lambsfoot once that was almost unopenable because it had gotten some gunk or a burr or something in it. I flushed it a LOT and it eventually freed whatever was stuck in there. After that the pull was strong, but smooth. Flush that thing with tons of soapy water and blow it dry with either a hair drier or compressed air and then oil it up well and work the tool as much as you can and see if anything black comes out. Keep flushing with oil and air and working the tools until you get a nice, clean color in the oil coming out. If it isn't smooth after that, there may be some defect in the spring or tool and it could go back to GEC for repair.

Ramrodmb and JohnDF like this.
  20. euroken

euroken Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 28, 2014
    Finally got mine!!! I will say the pull on my lifter is 7-8'ish (I put 10 as needing a blade key, and 5-6 as the sweet spot). I can get it open most of times using my thumbnail but I really need to crush in my nail to do so (so the thumb nail almost folds in toward the back/spine of the lifter :D ). However, it is as easy as pie if I used my middle finger nail and grab the pile side with my thumb (personal opinion).

Oh, btw, fit and finish is amazing on this knife!!!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 6, 2021
    Dadpool, Fox79, Spaten and 7 others like this.