2021 Prices Are Out

Discussion in 'Cold Steel Knives' started by goldie, Jan 21, 2021.

1. deadzonepatrol

deadzonepatrol

Apr 11, 2019
    Perhaps that's their new MAP price. I always thought 85% was too high.

2. countryguy07

countryguy07 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 2, 2013
    I have to say the prices on some of the items even with MAP would be too rich for me. The price of the Talwar really caught me off guard. Might buy the drop forged bowie and AD-15 lite, but that would be it. As far as the offering in 3V, I'll stick with customs for those prices that come with kydex or leather sheaths.

gatorsnake likes this.
  3. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    I doubt you'll see those high priced knives stick around in the line-up. Maybe discontinued next year.

4. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    The tail cannot wag the dog ! :rolleyes:

Prices will adjust to the actual market value , if product is to be sold . ;)

5. oxman198

oxman198

Jun 17, 2013
    Super buzzkill with the trailmaster price

6. Your Name Goes Here

Your Name Goes Here

Mar 28, 2018
    So would it be fair to say that you are thinking 20% off of MSRP for street price ? I'm just curious what people think will be the street price. Edit - so far the guessing of street price seems to be 15% to 25% off MSRP ?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
  7. gatorsnake

gatorsnake

Nov 25, 2014
    looking at the newer models :
    cold steel lists the 4 max scout for 129.99 most retailers are selling for 110.99
    cold steel lists the ad10 for 239.99 most retailers for 191.99
    gunsite lists for $129.99 and is going for 81
    sr 1 lites list for 69.99 and are going for 59.99
    YET it seems as recon 1 and voyagers and code 4 can be found for a little more than half the price of retail.
    in my opinon there is no set guidline.
    We must remeber Thornton's theroy of supply and demand rules all sales. IMO
    I am of the opinion I do NOT do business with ANY company that has NO customer service at all.

Your Name Goes Here likes this.
  8. Smiling

Smiling

Nov 21, 2019
    I agree, I will most likely get one. I don't care if it's drop point, spear point, tanto point or clip point.

insta9ves likes this.
  9. strideruser

strideruser Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 1, 2008
    3v seems pricy, but let's see what they hit the dealers for... you really can get a custom made for those prices!

but a 3v kukri! that has to be the best hard use knife ever made surely???

10. goldie

goldie

Feb 18, 2000
    yes id say 15% to 20% but it seems as time goes on the price lowers a bit more from what ive seen.The san mai trailmaster retails for 499 its going for 270-300 but its been around for years. The 3v trailmaster is 539 so im guessing it comes in around 325 or 350 maybe a bit more,which i still more than i thought ; i figured 250 recon scout 3v 300 trailmaster 3v. Are they worth it? i just dont know I have a carbon v trailmaster which has been great over the years will the 3v one be that much better? And i got that with a few other knives,sold them wound up w the trailmaster for free...

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    Your Name Goes Here likes this.
  11. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    oh but it can and does. as an example as we use this saying. the labor market sure is in constr right now. workers are wagging the company....and they can right now.

12. tinfoil hat timmy

tinfoil hat timmy Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 21, 2014
    RIP

13. Ulf Krogstad

Ulf Krogstad

Nov 19, 2013
    Prices way too high for products not made in America. Miss the days where you could get a new Holdout II aus8 for $32 shipped on fleabay. "Upgraded" steel is not worth the cost for these. If they had a warranty like benchmade, kershaw/zt, busse, could maybe justify the prices, but can't as is.

14. Neo

Neo

Sep 12, 2002
    Was the msrp of the master hunter in 3v always $200?
    Because sites in Europe list the msrp as € 240 or $ 292, that's 50% increase.
    A lot extra for a knife that's made in Europe in the first place.

Smiling likes this.
  15. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    Say how? If they have a fixed % of retail over MSRP (i.e., MAP), how that retail price can be "adjusted?" You are not talking about secondary market like the Exchange here. I did not see a manufacturer adjust the % of MSRP after a product is already in dealers (if anything, they raise prices annually). Price adjustment of discontinued products is a completely different story.

AF likes this.
  16. Larry Turko

Larry Turko

Oct 4, 2007
    So in your view working people -the vast majority in any country-are the tail while the tiny minority of rich people are the dog?

17. goldie

goldie

Feb 18, 2000
    The 4max elite is on Bladehq coming soon for 424.99 thats way high only 75 off retail.Mini recon 1s are 67.99 higher than expected,too.That kind of pricing would put the trailmaster at the 450 range recon scout around 400-425 forget the kukri it would be 500-600 dont quote me on these prices its just a guess only that 4max elites price and recon 1 is what i saw thats real..i hope im wrong about the others; ugh.....

18. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    Cold Steel has not (so far) applied MAP with the same inclusive vigor as other co. like Spyderco .

You can still shop around , especially for the older models and find substantial discounts off MAP prices .

Even the strict MAP companies have their sales and clearance events allowed .

Market forces do eventually apply . If you set prices too high , your stuff won't sell as well .

19. jbmonkey

jbmonkey Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jun 9, 2011
    I'll say it a different way, so you understand it better, Larry. its less about rich or poor as thats not the topic at all. more about who is in control of the operation. the contractors or subs are the tail of the national corporate builders typically. right now the subs are waging the dog. I am a sub not a corporate national builder.

its a saying we, the subs use to call the shift.

normally the builders wag us around. we have more control right now, so we feel like we are wagging the dog, being the subs.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2021
    AF likes this.
  20. DocJD

DocJD

Jan 29, 2016
    :eek::poop: The Italian 4 Max with better materials was available for a long time for ~$240 plus tax and shipping .

They'll sell a few , maybe . But not to me . ;):thumbsdown::thumbsdown: