1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Benchmade 535 Bugout, Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday June 15!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, June 16 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Also, previous Live Stream Prize Pack winner, ooitzoo, has chosen to "pay it forward" with his knife that he won and is doing his own giveaway, check it out here: https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/nib-cold-steel-prolite.1663761/

2nd Knife with ultimate goal of making a cleaver

Discussion in 'Hammer & Tongs' started by clofgreen, Nov 9, 2016.

1. clofgreen

clofgreen

Sep 28, 2016
    A couple of months ago I posted my first knife. It is 8" long and was made with 1/8" 1084 using a 3 x 21 belt sander, angle grinder and electric drill. I heat treated it in a hardwood charcoal fire, tested it with a magnet and quenched in canola oil.

[​IMG]

This is my second knife. It is 10" long and was made with 3/16" 1084 using the same method. I left this one in the fire about three minutes longer after loss of magnetism than my first one and holds an edge much better.

[​IMG]

My next knife is going to be a cleaver similar to this one made from 1/4" stock. This is fun.

[​IMG]

2. martinwoods_uk

martinwoods_uk

Nov 29, 2016
    They look good and functional to me. I'm on my second knife now. My first turned out fine but I think I've messed up the grind (hand filed) on the new one :( will have to see if U can rescue it. It's not as complicated as your second blade.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk