303: Weak springs - can they be fixed?

Discussion in 'Buck Knives' started by sharkattacksw, Nov 7, 2019.

1. sharkattacksw

sharkattacksw

Aug 4, 2008
    I recently got (2) 303 Cadets. One has decent ‘snap’ when opening and closing the blades, and the other, well, not so much.

Can the ‘snap’ be improved if I send the knife to Buck?

Thanks to anyone who can help.

2. JD Bear

JD Bear Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 4, 2015
    From what I've heard, that's more of a "preference" issue and not a "defect". We might not like the weak springs, but it doesn't change the overall function of the knife...so it's not really a warranty situation. I may not be 100% right, but the springs on the 300 series have been discussed before and that's always been the the general idea....

jbmonkey likes this.
  3. bertl

bertl Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 17, 2011
    What are the dates for the two knives?

Bert

4. Lesknife

Lesknife Platinum Member Platinum Member

Mar 31, 2018
    With my newer 303 and 301 knives were like that but after washing them in warm soapy water cycling them while submerged , rinse and dry then some mineral oil some more cycles and they are smooth and the snap is just right. They aren’t alligators but I don’t like nail breaking springs anyway. I think fine grinding particles from finishing at the factory get in the pivot and between the springs and causes binding of the moving parts. Just don’t soak for to long and dry them quickly to prevent swelling of handle materials if they aren’t stabilized materials.

plb, GPyro and jbmonkey like this.
  5. 300Bucks

300Bucks Moderator Moderator

Apr 19, 2005
    Would give all of us some additional guidance to know if they are "old" or new made. In all the new models the intense cleaning as suggested is always a first option. 300

Lesknife, plb, GPyro and 1 other person like this.
  6. sharkattacksw

sharkattacksw

Aug 4, 2008
    The knife in question is a 2018 model.

Lesknife and GPyro like this.
  7. Brhowser87

Brhowser87 Basic Member Basic Member

Aug 3, 2016
    You might want to give it a good cleaning as suggested. I'm no expert on Bucks traditionals but they tend to leave the factory with the black polishing gunk in all the creveces.

Lesknife likes this.