#35 Beer and Sausage Bar Tool Knife

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by Matt_WY, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Sacto

Sacto Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 27, 2017
    I have an ebony that should arrive on Saturday. I’m really looking forward to this knife. I’ll post some pictures next week when I have it outside at work. Maybe even some mustache taming shots. :eek:

Jody744, JohnDF, sitflyer and 2 others like this.
  2. bbk357

bbk357 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2018
    That’s something I don’t understand.
    Some companies- not exactly knife manufactures- will not allow their dealers to charge more for msrp. If some do and get caught, some companies will take their product from them.
    Obviously GEC doesn’t mind or just turns a blind eye to the 2 or 3 that are openly doing it. The harm it could do is set a precedence and all the GEC dealers would say “why charge $120 when I can charge $275 like ___”.
    That would be bad for the consumer- me and you.

tinfoil hat timmy likes this.
  3. Mass1632

Mass1632 Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 24, 2019

Yep, the dealers are paying gec “x” amount for the knives, and then they are turning around marking up the knives 2-3 times over msrp.

If this happened with their sole dealer or all their dealers, it wouldnt last long. The manufacture company, gec in this case, would probably start dealing direct to the consumers. As long as there are other dealers charging msrp, i dont see anything changing. Sadly, the company can see how much more money a dealer is raking in and raise their prices.

4. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    The jigging goes right into the bolsters on the one @JOELSM has, very desirable feature.

5. Jiki

Jiki Basic Member Basic Member

Jun 12, 2018
    A free market would consist of no artificial price controls and the seller would charge what the market would bare. If the price gets too high people stop buying, too low no inventory. You all want the best of both worlds where there is abundant inventory but you don't have to pay for it. As long as there is an imbalance in supply and demand you will see the current market behavior. 50 knives being "flipped" out of 1200 is not really that many.

6. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    My anger over "flipping" GEC knives is slowly switching from the flipper to the buyer.
    I mean really, it's the suckers that are willing to pay these inflated prices that are causing this environment.

7. Camillus

Camillus Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 3, 2015
    I wouldn’t get angry or stressed @JohnDF. Sure secondary prices have gone up, but a lot of the GEC knives aren’t too much more expensive and there are heaps coming out of the factory at fair prices.

I have a fair few desirable GEC knives, but the users and the less desirable patterns are cool, just underappreciated.

here you go, I sold every single one of these stainless 15s for about $120 each. I just didn’t really like them as a version of the 15 pattern. I have held onto other knives that are less sought after because I did really like them. Its all relative.

[​IMG]

so don’t let others (incl flippers) tell you what you like or let the scarcity influence your tastes.

8. Ramrodmb

Ramrodmb Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 9, 2010
    Why would you let someone else's choices over how they want to spend their money affect you in such a negative way? It's obvious you have very strong feelings about this as it comes up quite often. I just don't understand the angst over something that is totally out of your control. Other people can spend their money however they want. I refuse to let their choices have such a negative impact on my life or hobby. I would rather focus that energy on things that make me happy. Like buying the ones I can at the price I want. I'm not faulting you for it, just saying I don't get it.

9. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    Perhaps "anger" or "stress" is too strong of a word. I don't sit up at night worrying about such things.
    It's not the knives or the prices that bother me, rather it's the decline of traditional values that bugs me to no end.

10. knifeswapper

knifeswapper Knife Peddler Dealer / Materials Provider

Sep 3, 2004
    Your last sentence there is what aggravates me. I know the two dealers who are moving their entire allotment on eBay at an exorbitant BIN price. OK, they are just getting the market price for the knives at the cost of the folks that really want one in their collections. But there are also dealers that are telling all the customers that call that they didn't receive any from the factory; but will show up with their allotment in a couple weeks with a blurb about how theirs are priced higher than other dealers because they had to buy them from another dealers inventory..... The factory sends some to every distributor, unless the distributor declines.

Maybe dealers that squeeze every penny out of new releases will be the only ones standing if this virus doesn't move along. The factory is a lot like the smaller dealers. All the cost, except materials, are the same. So when your production is going so slow because of workforce issues, you are not generating the cash flow required to keep the pencil lead black. Smaller dealers, some that rely solely on GEC products, are bleeding as well. We have rainy day money in the bank, but so far this year 5 of 8 months have run at a loss.

The factory has four numbers on their price sheets. Distributor cost, Dealer cost, DSR (dealer suggested retail), and MSRP. A distributor is suppose to purchase $36k to qualify for that tier - but in many cases it does not happen. DSR is what most dealers charge on their websites. Some bump it a little, but most use the same number. MSRP is one of those numbers just provided so you can have the line thru a price to show what a discount you are selling it at. But I think we need a policy that excludes dealers from charging more than MSRP on newly released products - that would help a little.

Pogonasong, JoKr, AZCoyote and 13 others like this.
  11. mrknife

mrknife Gold Member Gold Member

May 9, 2010
    if folks vote with their dollars, than those dealers will be punished when they keep their stock of knives. however, im sure there is someone out there who will pay it.

Jiki and sitflyer like this.
  12. bbk357

bbk357 Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 12, 2018
    trying to break all that down... so are you saying GEC should charge more for the knives right out of the gate?

13. Pgg365247

Pgg365247 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2012
    Can I please see some more of the jigged bone beauties and less about the buying selling of these knives. I know it's a big part of the porch conversation but my personal preference is to see and talk about the knives.

14. knifeswapper

knifeswapper Knife Peddler Dealer / Materials Provider

Sep 3, 2004
    No. They should set the boundaries of the dealer selling price on new products to reside between DSR and MSRP.

bbk357, Scott J., rpstrimple and 4 others like this.
  15. JOELSM

JOELSM Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 30, 2007
    ...breaking up the discussion with more pics. I’ve had an opportunity to look over the bone in more detail. It is beautifully executed, however on the pile side there are what appears to be very light “tear out” or tool “chatter” marks that weren’t completely buffed out. Not a big deal from my perspective, but I know some here May feel differently.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. paulhilborn

paulhilborn Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Beauty and Character all in one:cool::cool::cool:

17. sf fanatic

sf fanatic Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 4, 2017

JOELSM likes this.
  18. rpstrimple

rpstrimple Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 16, 2011
    I can't wait to receive mine. I love this jigging style. And it totally suits this knife.

JOELSM, sf fanatic and Quiet like this.
  19. RBB2

RBB2

Jan 20, 2020
    These jigged bone covers are great, they look like a perfectly grilled brat, a great choice for a sausage knife!

sf fanatic and Quiet like this.
  20. hornetguy

hornetguy Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 11, 2015
    The jigging and bone color are excellent on that knife. Of course, if the rough jigging bothers you, you could send it to me, and I'll carry it for a year or so, and get it "pocket smoothed" for you. No charge.... I'm just that nice of a guy....:D

t.willy, btb01, mbkr and 3 others like this.