1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

4.1 thread

Discussion in 'Survive! Knives' started by jjweb, Jun 17, 2016.

1. ManOfSteel89

ManOfSteel89 Gold Member Gold Member

May 20, 2012
    Good God boys.. my knife was ordered 4/23/15

2. ni1s

ni1s Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 10, 2014
    I posted this little mini-review on FB, but thought I should share it here as well.

I like it a lot! Had to have the weekend to beat it up a bit. It's got a very different feel than both the 4.7 and old 4.1. The 4.7 handle is a bit too contoured for my taste, but the 4.1 significantly less so. At first I still thought it was too much (since I'm used to the 4.1/3.5) but after using it a bit it feels pretty comfortable. The micro texture is fantastic! And the balance compared to the old 4.1 feels much better, where the old is feather light and almost blade heavy in comparison to the "perfect" balance of the new spec (but it's subjective I know...) It does feel larger than the old, but not too large.​

Silver Needle and supertac916 like this.
  3. Fancier

Fancier

Jul 1, 2012
    Does your old specification 4.1 have a skeletonized tang?
    I do know that all of the new specification handles are scaled up compared to the old ones.

4. ni1s

ni1s Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Yes, it's skeletonized so I think that's what makes the balance feel different in combination with a slightly shorter handle. But I didn't really measure it scientifically. :)

5. Fancier

Fancier

Jul 1, 2012
    Some folks get real itchy when they are close to receiving their knife. ;)

sfrigon1 likes this.
  6. sfrigon1

sfrigon1

Oct 2, 2016
    Ain't that the truth

7. Silver Needle

Silver Needle

Jul 14, 2014
    It's great to hear your thoughts on your new knife. I'm excited to compare the new 4.1 to my old one as well as compare it to my 4.7.

sfrigon1 and ni1s like this.
  8. Silver Needle

Silver Needle

Jul 14, 2014
    I posted this same pic in the LE4 thread. Look at those handles! I didn't expect the difference to be so big.

[​IMG]

sfrigon1 likes this.
  9. Fancier

Fancier

Jul 1, 2012
    Those GSO 4 Limited are old blanks that predate Guy's redesign to include the larger handles.
    As I recall most of the knives got about half an inch more handle compared to their previous versions.

10. sfrigon1

sfrigon1

Oct 2, 2016
    Why the hell did you post this ??? Especially on the 4.1 thread ughh, I have been purposely avoiding looking at anything that has to do w the 4ltd. Thanks silver :)

XtianAus likes this.
  11. Silver Needle

Silver Needle

Jul 14, 2014
    Whoops, sorry for that cross contamination of threads! :rolleyes:

Right on. I was surprised by how girthy the new spec 4.1 handle is compared to th LE. Both are lookin' good!

12. Hard Knocks

Hard Knocks Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Because he's a bad man. A very bad man.... ;)

13. Silver Needle

Silver Needle

Jul 14, 2014
    I wonder if some of these will land here???

[​IMG]

14. Silver Needle

Silver Needle

Jul 14, 2014
    I know there's a few guys on here with new 4.1s. Any action shots to share with the rest of us?

supertac916 likes this.
  15. chiral.grolim

chiral.grolim Universal Kydex Sheath Extension

Dec 2, 2008
    I promise to share some shots and video when mine arrive!

supertac916 and Silver Needle like this.
  16. Hard Knocks

Oct 1, 2012
    [​IMG]

17. BamaFan4Life

BamaFan4Life

Apr 26, 2017
    CONGRATULATIONS Hard Knocks! Black Handles Look Sweet!!Had to Update my Reply,just checked & my 4.1 just shipped Finally.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    Fancier likes this.
  18. Hard Knocks

Oct 1, 2012
    Thank you! I'm glad yours has shipped. I picked this one up after-market.

What scales did you request?

19. BamaFan4Life

BamaFan4Life

Apr 26, 2017
    Green Canvas with Spring Flat Dark Earth Sheath.Kinda wanted ghost jade but mine was a Factory 2nd so I didn't want to mess with the Order because I figured it would take more waiting time & I definitely didn't want that.I hope SURVIVE! sells the 2nd Gen 4.1 handle scales in all the colors so I can pick up another color if I decide I want to change up the color scheme.

Hard Knocks likes this.
  20. Silver Needle

Silver Needle

Jul 14, 2014
    Woohoo!!!! This is awesome. Initial thoughts?

Great news! Is yours a factory second?