1. bobbywett

bobbywett KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 23, 2006
    Hi All,

I hope this is the right forum? if it isn't, my apologies.

Does anyone know of a good source for 2" OD 4140 round bar? Is there any really good stuff out their? I'm interested in trying to forge out a few hammers.

Thanks,

Bobby

2. deker

deker

Nov 14, 2005
    Bobby,

You're here in central PA, so there's no shortage of machine shops around. Find your local machine shop (preferably a job shop that still does manual work and not just CNC, they tend to me more "friendly") and go make friends with the owner/manager. When I need tool steel that isn't knife steel, my local machine shop is the ticket.

-d

3. bobbywett

bobbywett KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 23, 2006
    Thanks Decker

4. Drew Riley

Drew Riley Riley Knife and Tool Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 17, 2007
    https://www.midweststeelsupply.com/store/4140coldrolledannealedroundbar

Check these guys out. They do price matching, but typically already have some of the best prices I've seen for most things.

That said, you'll likely still be able to get it cheaper locally (no shipping fees, and often places have scrap or drops at discounted prices), but if you're looking for convenience, or can't find anything locally, I'd give those guys a call.

5. bobbywett

Jul 23, 2006
    Thanks for the info Drew ... I appreciate it.

6. Kentucky

Kentucky

Dec 13, 2008
    speedymetals but not overly cheap..They will have it though

7. bobbywett

Jul 23, 2006
    Just checked they've got it😊

8. Kentucky

Kentucky

Dec 13, 2008
    They do have good service, I ordered a lot from them in the past when I was hard up..Not the cheapest but not completely out of line either and they will cut it to your required lengths..

9. bobbywett

Jul 23, 2006
    They do have good service, I ordered a lot from them in the past when I was hard up..Not the cheapest but not completely out of line either and they will cut it to your required lengths..

I'm going to compare a few prices ... MSC, Speedy Metals, Midwest, Online metals and see what price with shipping is the best. Thanks everyone

10. Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith

Stacy E. Apelt - Bladesmith ilmarinen - MODERATOR Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 20, 2004
    Hmmm, I made a post here when the OP first posted ... don't see it?

Speedy Metals and Online Metals both carry 4140. Lats block of 4140 ( 50 pound block) was from Online, it was reasonable and here in two days.

11. Metalhead0483

Metalhead0483 Basic Member Basic Member

Jan 17, 2008
    Actually amazon had some bigger 4140 last I looked. Not sure how their prices are compared to elsewhere, but hey, free shipping... ;)

12. Kentucky

Kentucky

Dec 13, 2008
    I just want to add one more thing..There are a few sellers on ebay that sell machine shop drops occasionally. Ive bought a bunch of round drops from them in the past for cheap price and shipping cheap.. may want to check there once by searching "4140 round" or something like that..

13. bobbywett

Jul 23, 2006