1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

4v Manix 2 in marbled CF - Fradon Lock Company exclusive

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by kniferbro, Sep 20, 2018.

1. grumpy514

grumpy514 Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 3, 2011
    $110.00 shipped. I paid shipping to him of course, $110.00 included the regrind & shipping back. I sent the knife fully assembled, I got 2 of the Fradon Lock Manix 2s and sent 1 out the moment I got it. Took roughly 4 weeks or so to get back (busy with trade shows, other regrinds & his custom knives). This one was a slightly inflated cost due to the hardness of CPM 4V (other supersteels would be similar cost, IE M4,S110v etc etc.)

toxophilus and Cycletroll like this.
  2. sharp_edge

sharp_edge Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 30, 2015
    @grumpy514 thats a fantastic regrind. This fradon exclusive manix 2 should be a thin ffg just like that from the beginning, well, at least for me.

grumpy514 likes this.
  3. arty

arty

Oct 18, 2003
    How does the Manix lock mechanism hold up over time? Can anyone report on long term use? I am considering one of the G10 handled models for yard work.

4. jstn

jstn Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 27, 2012
    Holds up well. Very durable, tough, reliable, and long lasting.

DRLyman likes this.
  5. William Entenmann

William Entenmann

Mar 20, 2019
    What was the verdict? Good heat treat or softer then you hoped?

6. William Entenmann

William Entenmann

Mar 20, 2019
    *Than

7. blame it on god

blame it on god Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 21, 2013
    It does well actually. I cut a lot of cardboard and plastic strapping at work. I didn't go 12DPS for reasons of sanity. It would have taken forever to get there from the factory edge. I ended up doing my standard 14DPS centered and sharpened to the ricasso. (that drives me NUTS!)

I'll push the edge eventually, But for now it's holding nicely. And for what it's worth. I kinda think it's gonna take hitting a staple to need an actual sharpening.

**Edit for pic**

[​IMG]

cause pics are better. lol

8. William Entenmann

William Entenmann

Mar 20, 2019
    Nice edge

9. Jazz123

Jazz123

Apr 2, 2014
    Ive got one on order. Is anyone using a custom clip?

10. Barman1

Barman1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2013
    I took the edge to 17dps a degree at a time until it started performing to my personal specs.
    I read somewhere this 4V was tested at 64 hardness.

Anyway, I installed this MXG sculpted clip and it got a few nicks so I was going to take it down to bare ti and refinish but when the edges came through first I ran with that theme thinking it looked like my favorite Spydie clip. Wire.
    The phillips screws are Emerson and were the only black ones in my spares.
    Looks pretty good imo.
    [​IMG]

11. Jazz123

Jazz123

Apr 2, 2014
    Looks great!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    Barman1 likes this.
  12. K.O.D.

K.O.D. Water my a**! Get this guy some pepto bismol! Platinum Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Normally I'd never consider buying or owning two of the same model, but...

Urge to buy rising....

13. jinjin19

jinjin19

Oct 3, 2018
    This one looks sweet. Love how the cf was made.

14. Mrs_Esterhouse

Mrs_Esterhouse

Apr 9, 2019
    How reactive is 4V compared to M4 or ZDP189? Anyone have a patina forming?

BigKurtHaze likes this.
  15. BigKurtHaze

BigKurtHaze

Aug 2, 2015
    Less reactive than M4, especially the course rust magnet finish on the GB1. I’ve got just a wee little bit of character on mine.
    [​IMG]

MMGRenovations likes this.