1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 25 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Spyderco Manix 2

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Spyderco Manix 2 , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, June 22 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

$50 Knife

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by swell6, May 7, 2019.

1. swell6

swell6

May 7, 2019
    Hello,

I'm new to the knife game and have been looking for about 2 weeks for a new EDC folder. I've carried a CRKT for about 2 years now, and am ready to spend a little more (Its a $24 knife) to get something that I love. My budget is around $50. I'd spend more if I fall in love with something, but would prefer to stay around $50.

I have a couple requirements:

1) The blade must be 3" or less since I work in DC
    2) I'd prefer something that has a handle that isn't black, and I like the look of black finish on a blade. Basically, non-black handle, and black blade
    3) I like the functionality of a combo edge, but the more I read about knives, the more I think I'm ok with trying out a smooth edge.
    4) I'd prefer something with a deep carry clip but can always put that on later
    5) I prefer rubber/plastic handle vs. metal. Metal always seems slippery to me.

A couple knives that have caught my eye:

Rat II
    Several models of the Buck Vantage (unfortunately have black handles)
    Bestech Thorn
    Spyderco Efficient

Does anyone have any other suggestions or think one of the models above is leaps and bounds better than the others?

Thanks for reading,

2. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut

May 23, 2018
    Welcome to the forums.

Well, there are several metric tons of knives in that range, but given your criteria, and the knives you've already looked at, I'd go for the Rat. Especially if you can get the D2 model for 50.

StrangeDaze likes this.
  3. Steely_Gunz

Steely_Gunz Got the Khukuri fevah Moderator

May 9, 2002
    Man that sub 3" blade knocks out a lot of great sub $50 knives. If you could a bit longer, and I really hate people saying that because rules are rules and parameters are parameters, the Spyderco Tenacious is available in a black blade with non-black handle. But it's about .3" too long.

My suggestion would be to check out the Kershaw line of knives on their webpage and see what their specs shake out at.

If the metal handle isnt a deal breaker, the Scallion is a great little edc knife.

115Italian likes this.
  4. Psy223

Psy223

Dec 17, 2018
    I only have 20 or so knives but the Rat 2 is my most carried knife. Try it.

The kershaw fraxion also fits your criteria, I think. And it’s well under $50

5. number9

number9

Mar 5, 2017
    The Buck 341 Small Vantage Avid might be what you're looking for. Mine's in my pocket right now. A little under 3", wood inlays in the handle. Deep carry clip. If you shop around, you can find one made with Sandvik 13C26 instead of the usual 420HC. It's got a small flipper and a thumb hole. Classy little knife that sharpens easily and holds an edge well.

AntDog, katanas and orangejoe35 like this.
  6. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    Spyderco Efficient
    [​IMG]
    Also available with part serrated blade
    [​IMG]
    ESEE Zancudo in D2
    [​IMG]
    Ontario RAT 2 in D2
    [​IMG]
    Finally, probably the best choice would be a CIVIVI knife and the Shard checks all of your boxes with the exception of a black blade. It's also a little out of your price range but I think the quality of a WE knife is way above any of the knives I've posted above...
    [​IMG]

115Italian and Fire Beard like this.
  7. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    I'd go Aus8. It performs better and cheaper and faster to sharpen and easier.

Lapedog likes this.
  8. Rykjeklut

Rykjeklut

May 23, 2018
    Performs better is up for debate, at least in my experience. But steels differ a lot.

Cheaper and better to sharpen is a good point, and reading his post again I see he's new to knives.
    Aus 8 might not be a bad choice.

9. Cogam87

Cogam87

May 5, 2019
    I love my steel will cutjack mini. Blades bang on 3" and can get it in different colours. Don't think you can get a blacked out blade though

10. oldmanwilly

oldmanwilly Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 7, 2014
    In your price range, check out the following:
    - Kershaw Scallion
    - Kershaw Chive
    - Kershaw Leek (blade length is right at 3")

Just slightly above your price range (up to $70):
    - Spyderco Dragonfly
    - Spyderco Delica
    - Spyderco UK Pen Knife
    - Spyderco Urban

If you are concerned about startling people who are not accustomed to seeing knives outside of a kitchen, and I presume there are many like this around D.C., then you may also want to look into a more traditional slipjoint or lockback for your EDC. There are many excellent options in this category that fit within your budget.

11. strategy9

strategy9 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 27, 2015
    Buck Vantage Avid, with the rosewood handles.

12. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    I think it will perform better for a guy just getting into 50$ knives.

13. dirc

dirc

Jan 31, 2018
  14. Mo2

Mo2

Apr 8, 2016
    2) I'd prefer something that has a handle that isn't black
    5) I prefer rubber/plastic handle vs. metal. Metal always seems slippery to me.

The cf is basically black and is pretty slick. It's also just a single layer of cf on each side,the rest is g10 or plastic.

15. Earl1

Earl1 Basic Member Basic Member

May 11, 2016
    I have the large avid in my pocket now. I love the blade on the knife,the high grind makes it a great slicer imho. Im gettimg ready to get the small one soon.

16. Ourorboros

Ourorboros

Jan 23, 2017
    Steel Will Cutjack mini
    Honey Badger, small

115Italian likes this.
  17. K.O.D.

K.O.D. Banned Platinum Member

Aug 21, 2013
    Kershaw mini Natrix. Blade HQ has it with a red g-10 handle, black blade, black deep carry clip, 2.75" blade. $29.99

Knife center has a copper handled version with D2 steel for $57. Stonewashed blade and clip though.

Oops, nevermind, it's a pre-order.

It runs on bearings, not assisted, which I think would be better in D.C.

18. Mike.TX13

Mike.TX13 Basic Member Basic Member

Dec 7, 2017
    I personally was looking for a knife under $50 for work. I watched videos and read reviews. Everything went towards the rat2. (D2 steel if you can). I picked one up and have never been disappointed

rje58 likes this.
  19. fatboyclone

fatboyclone Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 15, 2003
    I bought a Kershaw Scallion because I worked in DC in a federal building. I got mine for under $50 Amazon a couple years back

[​IMG]

20. jp9mm

jp9mm Basic Member Basic Member

Apr 1, 2019
    You need to check out the Kershaw Atmos.
    Blade spec: exactly 3"
    Handle available in multiple colors
    Weighs less than 2oz
    Has a nice piece of carbon fiber molded into design.
    At only $30 the design and flipper action rivals knives in the 100+ range.
    I'm new into collecting, started with the atmos. 8 knives later and it took a 250$ retail knife to wow me again.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 8, 2019
    colin.p, skyhorse and KVT like this.