Recommendation? $700ish, what should I be looking at?

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by jfindon, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Richard338

Richard338 Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2005
    You could just about get a used Thorburn for that. Well worth looking at.

jideta likes this.
  2. evilgreg

evilgreg Why so serious? Gold Member

Dec 25, 2012
    Lately my favorite $500+ purchases have all been guns. I like fancy Olamics, though, and this is a knife forum, so how about a fancy Swish or Rainmaker or something? I'm carrying this guy today and love it (photo from less snowy days gone by):

[​IMG]

duramax and JAB like this.
  3. J85909266

J85909266

Jun 6, 2005
    $700 puts you right in Medford Praetorian T territory. Despite what people will say, they come very thin behind the edge due to a very deep hollow grind, and are completely on par fit and finishwise with companies like CRK and Hinderer. The company has come a long way in 10 years. I've never felt a more solid build on a folder. They come very stiff but smooth out to glass over time. I can middle finger flick my Praetorian with no wrist. DLT has S90V exclusives, as well. The edge retention on mine is fantastic. You do have to love big heavy folders though. If you are into super lightweight flippers and ball bearings, it will not be for you.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Tacoma16

Tacoma16

Feb 8, 2020
    I want that DE frag!

jaypopsti likes this.
  5. The Aflac Duck

The Aflac Duck Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 27, 2014
    Can’t have it! :p

6. kvaughn

kvaughn Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 28, 2005
    60 Mora's.

evilgreg and David Mary like this.
  7. CAP55

CAP55

Dec 29, 2020
    What's a Glock go for these days, much more reliable in a situation than any knife.

8. David Mary

David Mary Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 23, 2015
    "$700ish, what should I be looking at?"

Half a dozen knives nice knives of good quality that you won't be afraid to carry and use.

evilgreg likes this.
  9. Alsharif

Alsharif Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2018
    In order:
    1) Shirogorov. Check their main US authorized dealer based in CA and the Shiro B/S/T Facebook group. Ignoring the sticker shock, they make the best production folders in the market. I haven't handled or read about their custom work but I'm sure it's also right up there with the very best. Only negative is that they're located in Russia, so service and parts can take a while unless you go to knife shows and visit them personally.
    2) Koenig Arius. Best US made production folder.
    3) Reate collabs and OEM work in damasteel

10. Zookie

Zookie Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    All suggestions are fantastic so far. And ignore who tells you how to collect or use your knives. You could be buying a 700$ only to fidget with or use as target practice it doesn’t matter, whatever makes you happy.

Wolverine666, evilgreg, JAB and 2 others like this.
  11. Alsharif

Alsharif Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 8, 2018
    Agreed, do whatever makes you happy. And guess what? I've seen pictures of some pretty beat up high priced knives. They're made well and can take a beating.

12. J85909266

J85909266

Jun 6, 2005
    [​IMG]

This Medford Slim Marauder took care of all the Christmas packages and boxes all by himself.

David Mary likes this.
  13. David Mary

David Mary Moderator Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jul 23, 2015
    Looks like the only beating was had by the cardboard.

J85909266 likes this.
  14. J85909266

J85909266

Jun 6, 2005
    I put my own polished 17 degree edge on it. I guess it wasn't much of a fair fight.

David Mary likes this.
  15. Pilsner

Pilsner Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Yes, a sidearm is always my go-to tool when I need to slice meat/open packages/whittle sticks etc. Yep, a Glock is always better than a knife. :rolleyes:

Hackenslash, David Mary and Lee D like this.
  16. CAP55

CAP55

Dec 29, 2020
    I sure don't need a $700 knife for those tasks, any $20 ChiCom knockoff would the job.

17. Ron Sabbagh

Ron Sabbagh Platinum Member Platinum Member

Sep 15, 1999
    These 3 are terrific choices if you want a flipper.

Shiro - if you prefer a slimmer, more classic shape.

Arius - but you have to like the large "whale" blade shape

Reate - I just picked up a Brian Nadeau collab with Reate (mini typhoon blackout) and the quality is superb.

Alsharif likes this.
  18. Lee D

Lee D Basic Member Basic Member

May 27, 2013
    I’m not familiar enough with Spartan Blades to tell you what they offer for blade steels, but if I was going to spend that kinda $$ I’d be taking a long look at their folders. The ones I’ve seen on here are beautiful.

19. Pilsner

Pilsner Platinum Member Platinum Member

Oct 28, 2017
    Is there actually a reason for you to be on this forum? Only, it’s, erm, a whole site dedicated to knives and bladed tools... :confused:

Hackenslash, Owen K. and Lee D like this.
  20. Lee D

Lee D Basic Member Basic Member

May 27, 2013
    I trimmed up a pork roast with my G21 last week and the neighbor called the law on me. I’m not sure what the problem was, I think he’s just out to get me. :mad:

J85909266 and Pilsner like this.