1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer Sheepdog & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday August 10!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

8-10" contact wheel source?

Discussion in 'Shop Talk - BladeSmith Questions and Answers' started by Will52100, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Will52100

Will52100

Dec 4, 2001
    My KMG's 8" contact wheel let go, a big chunk of rubber turned loose and came flying out, this weekend.

I've been looking around and see some in the 100'ish dollar range, but they've got an 1.19" bearing ID size and for my tooling arms I need a 1/2" ID.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/8-Serrated...der-Sander-Dynamically-balanced-/232870359435

Has anybody used these wheels before? I'm thinking if they are any good to maybe turn a bushing on the lathe.

Ideas?

Thanks.

2. seanj

seanj

Mar 1, 2010
  3. JTknives

JTknives Blade Heat Treating www.jarodtodd.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 11, 2006
    What are your plans for the wheel? I have been looking for a scrap one that I can bore out for my surface grinder. I would strip the rubber and just use the aluminum hub.

Will52100 likes this.
  4. Scaniaman

Scaniaman

Jun 15, 2012
    Get this one. $67 shipped with bearings installed. Can't beat the price. I have it, works great. That have all kinds of sizes. May be some customs/import charges though

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2019
  5. Will52100

Will52100

Dec 4, 2001
    Thanks, that may work.

No plans at present, if I can get ahold of Beumont, I might have it re covered, depending cost.

I wouldn't go for just the aluminum hub for a surface grinder, you need a little give, If I remember rite mine's a 90 Durometer wheel. I suppose it would work, just be very slow, not sure if it'd be more accurate or not.

6. AVigil

AVigil Adam Vigil knifemaker working the grind Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Platinum Member

Feb 17, 2009
    Check out Ameribrade they have 8 inch for $95

Will52100 likes this.
  7. Randydb

Randydb Basic Member Basic Member

Sep 27, 2014
    I don't see the link....but I can see that this post was edited by a moderator. Is there a reason this link wasn't allowed? Just want to know so I don't mess up in the future.

Will52100 likes this.
  8. Josh Rider

Josh Rider KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 2, 2014
    There’s been a few people go the aluminum wheel route with great success. I think that’s the way I’ll go eventually as well.
    I don’t think give is necessarily a good thing on a surface grinder.

Will52100 likes this.
  9. AVigil

AVigil Adam Vigil knifemaker working the grind Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Platinum Member

Feb 17, 2009
    you can state where to find it but not post an outside link.

But we know outside links are posted all the time and there is very selective removing of them

10. JTknives

JTknives Blade Heat Treating www.jarodtodd.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jun 11, 2006
    Currently I use a stone wheel and run a belt over it. Works great but I’m wanting to go wider then 1”. The plan was to just turn one out of steel and hog out the center to lighten it up.

Will52100 likes this.
  11. Spalted

Spalted My name is Britt Askew I like making knives Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 9, 2010
    I had my 5" Beaumont wheel come apart a while back too.
    JT if a 5" wheel (4" of aluminum) will do what you want PM your address.

12. Spalted

Spalted My name is Britt Askew I like making knives Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 9, 2010
    I think I will try one of these soon. Anybody here used one ?

13. AVigil

Feb 17, 2009
    I have one of their smaller wheels.

Very high quality and comes with a steel spacer between the bushings.

Spalted likes this.
  14. Ocelot85

Ocelot85

Feb 1, 2012
    I have a 10 inch Ameribrade contact wheel, it has somewhat excessive vibration in it. It's usable but barely, I contacted them about it months ago I was told I'd get a new one when the wheels stocked and I've never heard anything since. The rest of my grinder gear from them has been fine though.

15. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2005
    I had the same thing happen to my 8 inch soft MG wheel from USA.Hadn't used it for a while and when it tried, it disintegrated. The s is the solid aluminum wheel.

16. coldsteelburns

coldsteelburns

Aug 2, 2010

I have a 12" from them. The first one ran true but it had a bit of a dish in the center of the poly surface which would create sorta a smiley face shaped bevel if the blade was kept in one spot, but they were quick to replace it even before I sent back the first and were also very nice to deal with. The second one was almost perfect but still had a very slight dip in the center, so I just ran it on my grinder while tracking the belt far off each side and sanded off a slight amount from the left and right sides/corners while it spun, which was easy enough to do. Now it's nice and flat and works great.

~Paul
    My Youtube Channel
    ... (Just some older videos of some knives I've made in the past)

Spalted and Will52100 like this.
  17. Will52100

Will52100

Dec 4, 2001
    Thanks. I got a quick response from KMG and they will recover/re tire the wheel for 142$, plus 18$ shipping, so a total cost of about 180$ both ways. Not sure, I very rarely hollow grind, especially on an 8" wheel, mostly use it for hogging and some profiling. Of course the KMG wheel lasted nearly 10 years, not sure if a vulcanized rubber wheel will last that long.

Thanks for the suggestions, got some figuring and reading to do.

18. 12345678910

Jul 13, 2009

Now get a quote directly from the re coating business, Contact Rubber Corporation (CRC)

putting Beaumont in the middle just ads cost and problems.

Spalted and Will52100 like this.
  19. jdm61

jdm61 itinerant metal pounder Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 12, 2005
    That seem like almost as much as paid for the entire wheel.........

Will52100 likes this.
  20. Scaniaman

Scaniaman

Jun 15, 2012
    The link in my post that was removed was to an abrasive dealer on Aliexpress called L-Paladin.

Will52100 likes this.