1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 39 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Cold Steel Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Prize Pack

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Cold Steel Knives Tuff Lite & Cold Steel Merch Prize Pack , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Sept 28 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 38 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream, going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

9/11/01 - 9/11/19... 18 years NFAR

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by T. Erdelyi, Aug 3, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. T. Erdelyi

T. Erdelyi Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 3, 2001
    While eating dinner while on vacation this year, a group of couples at the table next to us all in their early 20s discussing Sept 11 and whether the date and subsequent terrorist attack had increased the value of their 90s King Kong/Twin Towers Lithograph.

How far we have fallen. The young men and women of today look at what happened 17 years ago as a Google meme on the top of their web page for 9/11. They read about it in history like I remember reading about the attack on Pearl Harbor. Still I knew more in my 20s about Pearl Harbor than any of these idiots knew collectively. Seemed like everything they discussed in the 5 minutes of their attention that it garnered was centered around whether it was a conspiracy.

My wife could see me gettin' steamed and she stopped me a couple of times from correcting them and just plain laying into them for their lack of respect. Luckily we were done with dinner and went back to the condo for drinks with the SiL. The Mrs trying to avoid a scene quickly ushered me right past their table as well left. A big part of me still wanted to go back and say something but the Mrs convinced me that I couldn't fix everything stupid, even if I tried so I went swimming instead.

Still, today it bothers me even more that I didn't confront them, allowing them to go on with their misconceptions and lack of respect just pisses me off. The Mrs was right though, can't fix stupid (but you can stop it from reproducing).

Thousands died that day and to be more concerned about the the eBay value of a picture pretty 9/11 totally disrespects everyone who lost or gave their lives saving someone else's on that day.

As long as I breath, I will bump this thread in memory of those who died that day and the folks who came together to help me get this knife made in memory of Jim Romitto.

Thank you all for remembering, caring and your replies. Smoke up, prayers sent, Never Forget, Always Remember.

RIP Jim and everyone :( but the terrorist and animals who put it together :mad:.

2. shinyedges

shinyedges Unfaltering Love & Undeviating Will Platinum Member

Jun 5, 2012
    Agreed Ted. Thank your sharing and bumping this :thumbsup:

3. T. Erdelyi

Feb 3, 2001
    Working at a government job at the time, everyone went home under order of governor and once I knew the Mrs was safe and on her way to get our daughter I stayed at work so they had some facilities support for the residents at the county nursing home. Plus they offered anyone who volunteered to stay triple time pay plus double time for 8 hours comp time.

4. T. Erdelyi

Feb 3, 2001
    The inlays on the large 21 always reminded me of the Twin Towers. Because of that I’ll make it a point to carry the Ebony inlayed Sebenza in memory of that day.

[​IMG]

5. 91bravo

91bravo Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 29, 2008
    Never forget...

MarriedTheMedic and Prester John like this.
  6. T. Erdelyi

Feb 3, 2001
    18 years, hard to believe it’s been that long already. I just taken a plane to Myrtle Beach last week for vacation and I couldn’t believe how many people have forgotten already.

People complaining that they couldn’t understand why it takes so long to get through the security checkpoint. In the 15-20 minutes it took us to get through not one person mentioned 9/11. They blamed everything else from low wages to the economy and the fat cats who own the airport/airlines not caring.

September 11th 2001 our country was attacked and the World changed forever that day.

I/we lost family and friends that day, just about everyone in the world knew someone or was affected somehow by the cowardly terrorist acts of that day.

We miss you Jim. :(

Never forget, always remember.

7. craytab

craytab Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2012
    Thanks for keeping this thread up Ted. I'll carry my micarta inlay 21 today.

You'll be happy to know that they aren't letting kids who weren't even born yet forget (at least here in Bethlehem). My daughter had an assignment to interview her parents on the subject. It got us all really talking about that horrible day. Good on the school district for making it a priority not to forget.

8. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    This thread is really something and the story is so touching, I know nobody who perished in this tragedy nor could I ever imagine losing a loved one in such a tragedy.
    I was only 6 at the time and could not process what I was seeing on TV that morning when my dad's crying woke me up but I will never forget those who gave and lost their lives that day that shook the world.

Today I'm still home sick with I think the flu but I'll have a Case Texas Jack in my pocket awaiting the arrival of a pair of Thorogood boots I ordered.

VernonRemington and T. Erdelyi like this.
  9. T. Erdelyi

Feb 3, 2001
    My buddy’s party is also a memorial for Jim who was one of the last 3 bodies pulled from ground Zero my friends sister, his wife who die indirectly from a broken heart when Jim was finally found a year later.

She kept up his cell phone contract active till she died. She called his cellphones every day and left a message in hopes he was still alive.

There were about 30 kids 25 and under at the party and only a few even remembered the day beyond what they learned in history class. The day, unless the lost someone immediate to them, is nothing more than a footnote in history and that made me sad.

More of the kids knew about Vietnam and WW2 than 9-11, that’s one of the reasons I bring this thread back on this day every year.

VernonRemington and Prester John like this.
  10. Hickory n steel

Hickory n steel Basic Member Basic Member

Feb 11, 2016
    That is a very heartbreaking story and it brings tears to my eyes to read
    It's such a tragedy that so many seem to have forgotten, even if you have no personal connection I don't think anyone should ever forget.

I can understand people my age seemingly not remembering though, I think many have repressed it.
    As a 6 year old I woke up to see things no kid that age should have seen , nobody should have because it should never have happened but especially a kid that age.
    A 6 year old should not have to see people jumping from the side of a building like that.

11. cbach8tw

cbach8tw Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 9, 2006
    Watching the news coverage from that terrible day, we must never forget. Please take time today to pray, reflect, remember, tell the ones you love that you love them, and observe the ceremonies.

Hickory n steel likes this.
  12. BellaBlades

BellaBlades Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 12, 2013
    Thanks for sharing your stories with us as heartbreaking as it may be.

While lowering the flags this morning it brought back the memory of sitting in History Class my freshman year of high school. I remember how scared all the teachers looked when they heard what was going on.

They all wouldn't share with the students exactly what happened initially so basically I heard different things from students that had family near the city as some teachers set up TVs in the class rooms to get the news.

We didn't even have cable at home and I remember listening to it on the radio and then finally seeing the full footage a few days later at my grandparents house.

It's amazing how selfless people will be when tragedy strikes. You dont think, you just react.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  13. 22-rimfire

22-rimfire Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 20, 2005
    I remember the day well.... I recall saying very early in the development of this event that THIS was no accident. I had no family or friends that were killed, but I did have family in adjacent buildings watching the whole thing unfold in person.

Yes, 9/11/2001 is another day in infamy. A lot changed, but nothing has really changed. Pearl Harbor.... the same.

Prester John and Hickory n steel like this.
  14. arrowhd

arrowhd Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Like it was yesterday..... burned into my memory.

T. Erdelyi likes this.
  15. danbot

danbot Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2009
    I haven't forgotten.

T. Erdelyi likes this.
  16. HappyDaddy

HappyDaddy Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 21, 2013
    Chris Wemmers 10/12/58 - 9/11/01 RIP

fishiker likes this.
  17. AntDog

AntDog Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 3, 2001
    I’ll never forget that day, ever. Ted, thank you for this thread, brother.

That day I was listening to the radio on the way to work and the first tower had just been hit. They were thinking it was a freak accident.

When the second tower was hit, my first thought was “this is no accident. This is a terrorist act, and are now at war with someone”.

When I reached work, everyone was gathered around a television watching in disbelief. The women crying, the men confused. They sent us all home to be with our families.

My wife and I watched the footage the rest of the day and cried. For the lives lost, for our country.

We will never, ever forget.

18. lzeplin

lzeplin Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 18, 2012
    I'll never forget either, I was stuccoing a basement when it happened. One of the drywall guys had a small radio, we all gathered around and listened while the second plane hit. Such a loss, and to see what this country has become since. The liberal left wants us to kiss the Muslims ass now, even vote them into Congress! It makes me mad as hell, what's wrong with these idiots?

fishiker likes this.
  19. GB940Rookie

GB940Rookie

Apr 19, 2016
    It’s good that you did this Ted. We will not forget.

20. GermanyChris

GermanyChris

Feb 18, 2015
    This thread has been going for 17 years without politics because the event is apolitical then some drywall guy comes in and changes it..thanks hero

===

Like I said a couple years ago I was in the DFAC eating breakfast when it happened..40 odd days later I was on a plane to Afghanistan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.