1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ka-Bar Becker BK5 Magnum Camp , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday July 27!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, July 28 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

9" Samson-inspired Weehawk Tanto in laminated steel *COOP SHOT ADDED*

Discussion in 'Custom & Handmade Knives' started by Matthew Gregory, May 20, 2019.

1. Matthew Gregory

Matthew Gregory Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 12, 2005
    As I've mentioned in previous posts, the work of Jody Samson was a very early influence, for me. When I was a teen, I pined for one of the 5" balisong that you could custom order from Pacific Cutlery with the outrageous 'weehawk tanto' grind. My buddy @Dawkind was gracious enough to provide me with an example photo:

[​IMG]

On a recent visit to Niagara Specialty Metals @nsm I picked up a sheet of an extremely rare material that Crucible made, and thought for sure it would be a great candidate for a build based on Jody's grind, with my own personal touches to hopefully complement it.

This blade is just over 9 inches long, and is made of a laminate that consists of a CPM-S90v core (extremely high wear resistant stainless steel), and a CPM-154 jacket (improved toughness over the core, but with far less wear resistance). It is NOT a forge-welded product. This is produced in exactly the same fashion particle metal steels are, utilizing the Hot Isostatic Press method. You can read a brief rundown of the PM process, as per Crucible's website here.

Where this piece of steel differs is that it's comprised of two alloys, and they achieved this by making a billet of CPM-S90v, grinding it clean and placing it into the center of a HIP canister, and filling the sides with CPM154 powder and running it through the HIP process, producing a billet with absolutely no welds, and therefore no points of failure. I believe this particular combination was the brainchild of Ed Schempp.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please forgive the horrible phone photos - I was in a race against time to get this in the mail to a REAL photographer before Blade Show, so hopefully I'll be able to report back here with an improved image. :)

A small scalloped seppa of black G10 is mounted in front of a matched titanium guard. The handle is just over 6 inches long, and consists of a core made of Terotuf, sleeved in hand-laid carbon fiber, and finished with carbon fiber tsukaito. A matched pair of sterling silver 'Hannya' demon menuki complete the package. All of the edges on the knife are razor sharp.

The photos are deceptive - this is a MASSIVE blade, and feels so in-hand. Overall length is just over 16 inches, and weighs in at 17-7/8 ounces.

Thanks for looking!

2. madcap_magician

madcap_magician Platinum Member Platinum Member

Feb 27, 2005
    That is WILD.

Matthew Gregory and Dawkind like this.
  3. i4Marc

i4Marc KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 19, 2011
    Great style and execution, Matt.

4. Richard338

Richard338 Gold Member Gold Member

May 3, 2005
    Awesome knife. I appreciate the detailed description.

Matthew Gregory likes this.
  5. Lorien

Lorien Moderator Moderator

Dec 5, 2005
    I'll take it!

6. Mike157

Mike157 Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 29, 2006
    This knife is great in so many of the details- the profile, the clean grinds, the neat materials, the clean straight hamon-like line exposing the steel layers, the guard, handle shape and wrap, the menuki. So much to like here! Mike

7. Volkert Forge

Volkert Forge KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Nov 25, 2018
    Outstanding!!

8. Scott Hanson

Scott Hanson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Sep 6, 2014
    Wow! that is extremely cool, very well done Matt.

9. Carl Colson

Carl Colson KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 4, 2016
    Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!

10. herdbull

herdbull Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2018
    Fantastic and unique! Love, love, love the grind.

11. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    That thing is nuts. Thanks for posting some pix here - much bigger/better than IG. :)
    Hope to see it at Blade!

Matthew Gregory and Mike157 like this.
  12. JParanee

JParanee Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 23, 2006
    Fantastic piece to show case that steel

Wonderful

13. Dawkind

Dawkind Platinum Member Platinum Member

Apr 3, 2000
    I’m sure Jody would approve and wouldn’t have minded to have had some of that steel to use.... ;)

A superlative build my friend, about as good as it gets. :cool:

Matthew Gregory and Mike157 like this.
  14. nsm

nsm Niagara Specialty Metals Platinum Member Dealer / Materials Provider

Jun 15, 2009
    Great job Matt! We love seeing your work and thoughts behind the process.

15. bigfish

bigfish

Jun 13, 2004
    When does the hurting stop....:(

16. Mecha

Mecha Madscienceforge.com Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 27, 2013
    Super cool, looks so...sci fi.

Dawkind and Matthew Gregory like this.
  17. john april

john april KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Feb 27, 2006
    great job matt ! nice tribute.

18. KCGGBC

KCGGBC KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 14, 2012
    That is just stupidly cool!

19. BenR.T.

BenR.T. Tanto grinder & High performance blade peddler Moderator

Apr 18, 2011
    Very cool piece buddy, it all works together very well. Can't wait to see the fancy pics!

20. Matthew Gregory

Matthew Gregory Chief Executive in charge of Entertainment Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Jan 12, 2005
    Thanks, everyone!

Just got the shot from @SharpByCoop

[​IMG]

I TOLD you my photos sucked!!!!!:D

Ocelot85, nsm, metaxasm and 3 others like this.