1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

A couple of Hawks

Discussion in 'Axe, Tomahawk, & Hatchet Forum' started by mmcc100, Apr 11, 2010.

1. mmcc100

mmcc100

Mar 19, 2010
    New guy here, but have been lurking for a while. I recently bought a few of these, mostly for gun-room decor, but have become sort of hooked on accident. Just thought I would share.
    [​IMG]

2. savageknives

savageknives

May 11, 2009
    very nice. whered you get these?

3. omniviking

omniviking

Feb 9, 2008
    welcome to the addiction.

4. Kenny H.

Kenny H.

May 24, 2009
    Ohh I need details on that purdy one on the left.

5. trentu

trentu

Mar 2, 2006
    I REALLY like that spike hawk. Man that thing is nice!

6. mmcc100

mmcc100

Mar 19, 2010
    I found one of them on ebay and the others on gunbroker. The one on the left was fairly expensive, but the one on the right and the little hatchet were pretty reasonable.
    The head on the one on the left won't stay up and I hate to go hammering on it. The wood is so smooth the head just slips up and down on it. Any suggestions?
    I want to try my hand at a few mod'ed trailhawks too, but wanted a few for the wall too.

7. savageknives

savageknives

May 11, 2009
    ive heard if you put the haft in the fridge, and turn the oven up to about 150 and leave the head in long enough to get too hot to touch, then quickly put the head on the haft and let the temperature changes expand the haft and shrink the hawk; it will help a lot. make sure to get it as tight as you can and let them do the rest. or you might try hammering the top of the haft with a rubber or wooden mallet.

8. trentu

trentu

Mar 2, 2006
    I would put a bead of epoxy around the end of the haft and slam the head down on a hard smooth surface. That should set the head all the way down and the epoxy should hold it on good and tight. I do this with some of my loose ones.

9. Dusty One

Dusty One Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 12, 2004
    Welcome....you have a nice collection started there............