A few photos of my new design

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Damneddesigns, May 18, 2020.

1. Damneddesigns

Damneddesigns Gold Member Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

Apr 11, 2019
    What do y'all think?

1_opt.jpg 3_opt.jpg 2_opt.jpg

.577NE, JPD1998, colin.p and 6 others like this.
  2. BillZee

BillZee

Apr 30, 2020
  3. allenC

allenC

Jun 18, 2000
    It looks nice!
    Can you show us the lock side?

4. 000Robert

000Robert Basic Member Basic Member

Mar 28, 2020
    No ugly thumbstuds. Nice looking knife!

5. Addicted_to_Knives

Addicted_to_Knives Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 29, 2018
    Nice design! Looks sexy!

Can you list all specs -> size, weight etc?

Could this knife be slippery at hand? I had this issue with similar design frame lock knives, the handles were slippery (not much texturing and machinning there). Another issue for me when the flipper tab does not have jumping, so after 10-15 flips the finger would start to slip on the flipper tab. Any flipper tabs that has over 90 degrees rightward leaning (usually at 110 or 120 degrees) design and no jimping is an issue for my fingers as I need to keep flipping open and close and open without any hesitation or issue as on my Hinderer knives...

A bit bigger choil and close to 4 inches long m390 would make this knife perfect.
    Back of the knife has a curvy design, I wonder how would it feel at hand...

Overall looks great just judging from the looks.

P.S. I hope it does not run on TEFLONS!!!

6. Damneddesigns

Apr 11, 2019
    Thank you!

7. Damneddesigns

Apr 11, 2019
    Thank you!
    Sorry I don't have a better pic but here you go

IMG-4896.JPG

d762nato, Fullflat and MolokaiRider like this.
  8. Damneddesigns

Apr 11, 2019
    Thank you!

I'll post specs soon. I've released two designs with similar handles. I say similar because I increased the size a little bit. They're called Yokai and Basilisk, you can check out some youtube reviews for them to see the ergonomics etc. The flipper tab does have jimping, you can see it if you zoom in.

I went with a sharpening choil instead of a finger choil to offer maximum blade length but if I get that as consistent feedback, I'd be more than happy to change it.

My first few knives were M390 but am planning on stepping down to S35VN in the future.

colin.p and Addicted_to_Knives like this.
  9. allenC

allenC

Jun 18, 2000
    Thanks for the clip side.
    Again, VERY NICE!

Fullflat and Damneddesigns like this.
  10. Damneddesigns

Apr 11, 2019
    I appreciate it :)

11. Fullflat

Fullflat Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 4, 2018
    ^^what he said! That is a beautifully designed lock side.

Damneddesigns likes this.
  12. Damneddesigns

Apr 11, 2019
    Thank you. I really appreciate it.

Fullflat likes this.
  13. MolokaiRider

MolokaiRider Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 13, 2017
    Looks great.

CTS- XHP is another great option if you change steel type if it makes business sense.

Are the inlays imbedded? How are they attached?

Blade looks pretty thin too; another plus.

Damneddesigns and Fullflat like this.
  14. Damneddesigns

Apr 11, 2019
    I'll definitely consider that steel option.
    The inlays are held in without glue by the screw that holds the clip in and the pivot.
    I actually bumped up the blade stock to 5/32" from my previous models which were 1/8"

Fullflat likes this.
  15. MolokaiRider

Sep 13, 2017

Nice. All titanium body, including lock face?
    Are the inlays potentially interchangeable?
    Are you involved with the grinding process? It’s always good to know if you are confident in the edge and heat treat. Not my business but worth consideration.

Good luck with your sales! It’s a good looking flipper.

Damneddesigns and Fullflat like this.
  16. Damneddesigns

Apr 11, 2019
    Thank you!

It's all ti including hardware but has a steel lock bar insert.
    The inlays are designed to be easily interchangeable hence the choice of not using glue.
    I design and sell my products. Production is outsourced.

MolokaiRider and Fullflat like this.
  17. MolokaiRider

Sep 13, 2017
    Roger that. I like the interchangeable option. Lock bar inserts need to be very precise. Might be worth considering a static interface directly on the titanium.

The blade profile is a winner.

Pocket clip looks recessed as well, nice.

Any idea if thread locker is being used?

Fullflat likes this.
  18. soc_monki

soc_monki

Apr 5, 2019
    I have to say, you have your own style, but your designs seem to be getting more towards usability rather than just looks. Similar overall to your past designs, but that blade shape (clip point) is on point! Lots or useful cutting edge, I like that. However it's still a chunky design, I'd like to see it slimmed down a little bit, and maybe keep the blade stock thinner? Although the grind itself is the important part, and how thin it gets behind the edge.

Still, a very nice evolution! I did like the basilisk (I believe that's right, with the drop point? Yokai was tanto I think...) I just though it was too chunky and busy design wise.

Damneddesigns likes this.
  19. Damneddesigns

Apr 11, 2019
    I don't know yet. Trying a new factory and these will head out to a few reviewers to check out and give me feedback. Usually I receive on myself but am stuck in India and customs here are possibly the worst in the world. Can't risk losing 4 knives (had 4 new designs prototype'd)

20. Damneddesigns

Apr 11, 2019
    Thank you, I appreciate that!
    I do have a thinner version with thinner blade stock in mind for the future, probably with cleaner handles (no inserts)