A question about GEC #97

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by el gigantor, Jul 10, 2020.

1. el gigantor

el gigantor Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 5, 2015
    I've been a fan of Great Eastern Cutlery since I first heard about them. My #23 landed a few days ago, and I'm in love! I had a question about the #97..

Why are these readily available? It seems GEC sells out their runs very quickly, but I've seen more than one website just this morning that had multiple handle variations of the #97 ready to ship.

I like the large coke bottle pattern, and the price seems reasonable. The reviews I've read are favourable too. What am I missing?

(To be clear, I'm not complaining. It just seems like an anomaly.)

Dadpool and mrknife like this.
  2. mrknife

mrknife Gold Member Gold Member

May 9, 2010
    Because theyre huge which to some detracts from its carry purposes. No doubt about it, certain models sell like hot cakes, some models couldnt give em away. i believe the 06 templars is another example.

Quiet, JohnDF and fonedork like this.
  3. fonedork

fonedork Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 7, 2011
    They have a light pull, and blades on the saber ground varieties hit the liners when you close them unless you're careful.

Quiet, JohnDF and mrknife like this.
  4. L.H.S

L.H.S Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Because they’re big and people say they have light pulls. The pulls are lighter than many GEC models, but I’ve had 3 or 4 and all had nice snappy action.

The saber grind is slightly thicker, but it’s also traditional for the pattern.

5. Quiet

Quiet "That guy" Platinum Member

Oct 11, 2013
    Exactly what I was going to say.

fonedork likes this.
  6. blademan 13

blademan 13 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 25, 2000
    I have wondered why the they are still on the shelves and have a few contributing factors;
    1) Production was quite high in numbers
    2) large knives generally sell slower than small-medium size knives for GEC
    3) spring/action a little soft
    4) sabre grind

As far as the knife goes, I like mine fine. Not quite the handful of the #23 but still a substantial knife. Pulls are softer at 4-5 and the blade can be pinched open. While no where near the slicer the #23 is it does have a beefier blade and heavier edge. Very well constructed knife and worth the price. FCA0497F-17D8-491B-BC4F-5F84690831F0.jpeg

7. wildmike

wildmike

Nov 17, 2007
    I have two, and both are great!
    The pull is lighter on my beavertail than my micarta knife. However that is probably a knife to knife difference.
    I prefer a thicker knife so I favor multi blades, but the 97 is good.
    They made a slew of em, so there is still good availability.

8. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    A divisive sort of pattern- loathe or adore :D nothing wrong with that and they cannot be despised as being bland;) Too big and Sabre puts them out of my approval, don't much like the look of them either :D But a fine pattern with a long history :thumbsup:

9. bax229

bax229 Gold Member Gold Member

May 7, 2016
    I love big folders, especially my stag 97...I keep my 98 Texas Camp, 23 Trapper, Buck 110, and 97 Coke Bottle on my belt when carrying.

It’s fun to pull out the 97 at a steak house. I’m classy. :cool:

10. GaiusJulius

GaiusJulius

Jan 9, 2016
    I think it’s a good looking knife, just not practical or exciting enough to actually spend money on, when the 23 is a more practical user and the 97 is really too big to carry on a daily basis but also too big to be anything but a big work knife/user.

11. JohnDF

JohnDF Gold Member Gold Member

May 14, 2018
    For myself, I passed. I really don't like a knife much over 3-3/4 inches.
    I made an exception for the #23 because of it's historical significance to the company and I'll be carrying it in my Jeep... not on my person.

12. mrknife

mrknife Gold Member Gold Member

May 9, 2010
    some folks werent too keen on the double pulls as well.

13. Elgatodeacero

Elgatodeacero

Jan 5, 2014
    They are actually not readily available, in the sense that there were many cover variations of the 97 and only a couple are available anywhere, usually just the micarta.

The prize for 97’s is either a nice stag or the Waynorth African Blackwood SFO.

14. coinbuysell

coinbuysell Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 29, 2014
    This is why I bought the Micarta version (has a single long pull), those double pulls really look weird to me...

15. Travman

Travman Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 26, 2016
    It’s the weak pull and the lack of snap. I have handled one that I would rate as a 1 -2 and the closing snap was completely anemic. That one was sent back. I have handled two others which were little better. One had a 2 pull the other was a 3. For me, still well under acceptable.

JohnDF likes this.
  16. Misplaced Hillbilly

Misplaced Hillbilly Gold Member Gold Member

May 16, 2018
    [​IMG]
    There are versions that are full flat instead of saber, and in my opinion it carries well for a big'n. The really rounded end cap bolster and overall thinness is deceiving for its length. Its no thicker in cross section than 2019 forum knife. Pull on mine is middle of the road not strong but I wouldn't call it weak myself, it snaps into all 3 positions nicely. This 97 beavertail is one of my favorite knives actually.

btb01, mrknife, willard0341 and 2 others like this.
  17. Old Engineer

Old Engineer Gold Member Gold Member

Nov 30, 2014
    I am afraid that I do not have many pictures of my one and only 97 . Here is a comparative shot of 3 Northfields . Going down 73 /// 43 /// and the 97 .
    [​IMG]
    Just the 97
    [​IMG]
    Well made , blade centered , soft pull but still snaps . Never carry it or use it . I needed more Stag and the Pattern in my meager collection and I kind of like the Sabre Grind and the unique Double Pulls .
    I normally try to get 2 of a pattern , but I did not try to get 2 of the 97s.

Harry