1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 16 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Buck Custom Shop 119 Special lasermarked with the BladeForums logo!

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Buck Custom Shop 119, or Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, Apil 20; winners will be drawn on Sunday @5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

A thought occurred: Anyone make Manix 2 metal plungers?

Discussion in 'Spyderco' started by MyLegsAreOk, Mar 24, 2019.

1. MyLegsAreOk

MyLegsAreOk Gold Member Gold Member

Aug 31, 2017
    The ceramic ball doesn't fit in the Manix 2 so what can we do to get rid of plastic? Metal ball holder/plunger part. Has anyone see one out there? I checked out a russian guy on youtube years back that made a titanium one, but off hand does anyone know where I might get a metal one this day and age?

uxo2 likes this.
  2. bdmicarta

bdmicarta Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 16, 2012
    That guy in Russia is the only hint of a metal retainer that I've heard of. I have 6 Manix 2s right now so if one of mine breaks I'll probably try making a metal one myself.

3. MyLegsAreOk

Aug 31, 2017
  4. NWPM2

NWPM2 Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 30, 2019
    I saw that thread that Colorodo linked and really liked the titanium. I'd be interested in a least 2 depending on the price. The plastic cage seems entirely adequate, but I think a metal one would be a nice custom touch.

Does anyone think a change in serration style would provide extra grip? Maybe a sort of fish scale look like Smith and Wesson does on a lot of their slide serrations? Another thought would be to have the bottom of the cage flare out ever so slightly to provide slightly more traction when pinching the cage to retract it. Adding just a hair width near the back of the cage might also help.

One other thought would be to have the spring guide (the nubbin thing that goes into the spring) be rounded off like the top end of a broom handle.

5. Colorodo

Colorodo Gold Member Gold Member

May 23, 2014
    Sell them on the exchange here.

6. Enactive

Enactive

Nov 30, 2018
    I'd suggest checking out this thread

7. einsteinjon

einsteinjon Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 22, 2008
    I'd love a metal Manix cage. Titanium would be great. Price would have to be right...I guess for me that would be maybe $30-$40 max, less even better. I've thought about this in the past but no one seems to make them...kinda surprised Flytanium hasn't done them.

8. Danke42

Danke42

Feb 10, 2015
    Why do you folks want metal sliding on metal? To me that just seems like a negative.

9. Wowbagger

Wowbagger

Sep 20, 2015
    I don't care for the Manix but I wouldn't call it a toilette plunger.
    Going where no one is willing to go these days I submit the unmentionable brand with the Axis Lock.
    Traded the the Manix for a knife with an axis lock.
    Not going back.
    No sir.
    Actually I traded the Manix for an Endura 4 in ZDP-189
    Then I bought a 710 and a 940-1 and discovered what the ball thing was trying to accomplish.
    Axis Lock : :thumbsup:
    Ball lock : nah dude, nah.

10. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    Titanium might have to be polished on the inside of the cage where the BB sits wouldn’t it?

Does the BB rotate inside the cage as the knife opens and closes or no?

11. Wowbagger

Wowbagger

Sep 20, 2015
    In it's defense has anyone had the fiber reinforced "plastic" ball fail ?
    I haven't seen that in the forum before. I may have heard of the ball or older version slider coming out but that is like one time in several years.
    There is a thread here discussing the ball lock and "plastic". I'll see if I can track it down; maybe there is a metal solution in that thread.

12. Wowbagger

Wowbagger

Sep 20, 2015
  13. Lapedog

Lapedog Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 7, 2016
    The ball is not plastic; only the cage attatched to the spring that holds the ball in place is.

It is this cage many people want to replace. Not because the plastic cage is breaking, but because it would be cool.

14. uxo2

uxo2 Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 3, 2013

If it doesn't fit.
    You bought the wrong size.

15. kniferbro

kniferbro

Jan 22, 2011
    I have for sure seen a pic floating around here of a Ti'ed out Manix including the cage.

16. MyLegsAreOk

Aug 31, 2017
    I mean the ceramic ball that's in things like the dodo, q-ball, allara, and pegasus. This:
    [​IMG]

You not only would have to have a different plunger, but back of the blade needs a whole different contour. I want this ball, but it can't happen so I'm stuck with looking for a metal cage.

I bought benchmades exclusively when I first got in to real knives. No thanks. Those contoured scales and the fiddling with the omega and lock itself on disassembly plus those fat blades, I'll skip it. I carry my copper manix 2 with maxamet it weighs more than the contego but I'd rather it than the big m4 benchmade.