Aces and Eights

Discussion in 'Redmeadow Knives & T.Knotts Knives' started by Redmeadow Knives, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Pàdruig

Pàdruig Live and Let Die Platinum Member

Dec 1, 2016
    Without really knowing better... I really think wrought iron could look very cool. In my slipjoints, I have some with nickel silver construction and some with steel construction - I think they make for an interesting contrast. NS being bright, with an almost yellow hue in certain light, and steel being cold with a dull blue-gray look to it.

The transition from dark Blackwood, to wrought iron (that would darken with age and use), into the bright nickel silver could make for a really cool look.

But then again, maybe I'm just imagining things...

Mack and Melvin-Purvis like this.
  2. Redmeadow Knives

Redmeadow Knives John Conner Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 29, 2010
    If we did a standard hidden tang, we could put double rows of pins but they would serve no purpose, strictly cosmetic. Cosmetic features are great but not when they pretend to have a structural purpose (does that make sense?).

A mortise tang gives us a reason for them to be there. Here's the plan anyways, cross your fingers. The piece off to the side will be slotted for the tang and all three will be put together to make a handle block that can be slid on from the rear. Those three pieces will have the double rows of pins through them to hold them together. Then it can be attached like a regular hidden tang with pins in the center that go through the tang. That gives us a functional reason for some double pins. I think we'll try the wrought iron for the ferrule by the way.

20200423_113616-01.jpeg

3. Pàdruig

Dec 1, 2016
    [​IMG]

Redmeadow Knives likes this.
  4. Pàdruig

Dec 1, 2016
    I agree with this sentiment - otherwise it's akin to putting brass tacks all over your beautiful walnut rifle stock. It looks.... well... tacky!

5. jlauffer

jlauffer Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 11, 2016
  6. Redmeadow Knives

Redmeadow Knives John Conner Moderator Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Aug 29, 2010
    jlauffer likes this.
  7. jlauffer

Apr 11, 2016
    Thinking about this some more, do have a question. If you did the hidden tang, would you still use a slab on each side, or would it be a single thicker piece hollowed out? If a single piece then I would certainly agree the outer pins would only be cosmetic. But if separate slabs, wouldn't they help hold the slabs together, thus serving some structural purpose along with the center pins?

8. Redmeadow Knives

Aug 29, 2010
    A standard hidden tang would be a block with the center drilled out so you're right pins wouldn't do anything structural.

jlauffer likes this.
  9. Redmeadow Knives

Aug 29, 2010
    That'll do
    20200423_131915-01.jpeg

10. Redmeadow Knives

Aug 29, 2010
    Let's hope that's the good stuff
    20200424_134718-01.jpeg

Mack likes this.
  11. Redmeadow Knives

Aug 29, 2010
    Yarp, dat's the good stuff
    20200425_130122-01.jpeg
    About a minute etch in FC.

12. Redmeadow Knives

Aug 29, 2010
    Flattened out
    IMG_20200425_183032_885.jpg

McDonalds hasbrown?

13. mitch4ging

mitch4ging Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 16, 2015
  14. Redmeadow Knives

Aug 29, 2010
  15. Pàdruig

Dec 1, 2016
    Well, I was already excited, John, but now things are heating up something fierce. That blade is wicked fine.

Melvin-Purvis likes this.
  16. Mack

Mack Expert Ultracrepidarian Platinum Member

Aug 19, 2007
    Melvin-Purvis likes this.
  17. jlauffer

Apr 11, 2016
    Aces and eights and cowbells oh my!

Melvin-Purvis and Mack like this.
  18. Redmeadow Knives

Aug 29, 2010
    IMG_20200429_171402_780.jpg

Crazy Canuck, Pàdruig and RayseM like this.
  19. Redmeadow Knives

Aug 29, 2010
    Layed out some lines on the mill, going to file a couple of grooves, keep in mind this spacer is wrought iron.
    IMG_20200429_180622_391.jpg

20. jlauffer

Apr 11, 2016
    Mack likes this.